MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Choosing A Meal Plan Chad Food & Meal Plans 11 08-20-2008 08:27 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Choosing the Right Cell Phone Plan: Some Things to Consider

Old 07-23-2009 at 06:31 PM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
I'm with Fido and I like the plan that I have. For 25/month + tax (and no system access fee!) I get 100 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, and unlimited text messages. The only thing is that I dont have caller ID but oh well. And I only ended up paying 25 for my phone because I signed a 2 year contract. So I'm pretty happy
If you have the number registered in your phonebook, does it tell you who is calling? Just wondering, I always get mixed answers when I call the company >.>
Old 07-23-2009 at 06:36 PM   #32
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you have the number registered in your phonebook, does it tell you who is calling? Just wondering, I always get mixed answers when I call the company >.>
No. Its an extra 6/month to add on call and name display, and I'm too cheap to pay that
Old 07-23-2009 at 06:37 PM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
No. Its an extra 6/month to add on call and name display, and I'm too cheap to pay that
Hmm, alright. 6/mth adds up after a year or two, I wouldn't pay for it either...
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:29 PM   #34
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54
I'm with Fido and I like the plan that I have. For 25/month + tax (and no system access fee!) I get 100 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, and unlimited text messages. The only thing is that I dont have caller ID but oh well. And I only ended up paying 25 for my phone because I signed a 2 year contract. So I'm pretty happy
If I were to go on contract, I'd make it a point to not have to pay for the phone itself lol
Fido's got some pretty good deals and sometimes, you can get places like Best Buy or Future Shop to price-match with handsets so you can get them for $0 xD

@Ownaginatios:
It's because we have no other alternative. If we don't go with the Big 3 or some derivative of them, then who do we have to turn to? And of course, being the unscrupulous companies that they are, Bell, Rogers and Telus always use that fact to take advantage of their own customers.

One thing I've learned: If you don't get what you want out of a company, ***** until you DO get it. It usually works since they don't want disgruntled customers spreading bad word-of-mouth to friends and losing business that way

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:49 PM   #35
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
If I were to go on contract, I'd make it a point to not have to pay for the phone itself lol
lol I could have had a phone for free, but the one I got was the one I wanted so thats ok
Old 07-23-2009 at 09:39 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post

One thing I've learned: If you don't get what you want out of a company, ***** until you DO get it. It usually works since they don't want disgruntled customers spreading bad word-of-mouth to friends and losing business that way
Very true, it's especially effective when you've been a long time customer. You can get more minutes (local and long-d), more texts, earlier evening and weekends, etc...
Old 07-23-2009 at 09:42 PM   #37
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Do you think we can get voice mail and or caller id by doing that? We've been wireless customers for almost 4 years and we've been Rogers customers for cable, internet and home phone for 8 years or more.
Old 07-23-2009 at 09:46 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Do you think we can get voice mail and or caller id by doing that? We've been wireless customers for almost 4 years and we've been Rogers customers for cable, internet and home phone for 8 years or more.
Yep, we got caller ID and voicemail. You just have to keep on asking and reminding that you are long time customers. If you fail, just call again.
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:06 PM   #39
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Yep, we got caller ID and voicemail. You just have to keep on asking and reminding that you are long time customers. If you fail, just call again.
Oh thanks for the tip. We'll try that.
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:26 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Oh thanks for the tip. We'll try that.
Also throwing in some "I'm not satisfied" would help.
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:34 PM   #41
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Also throwing in some "I'm not satisfied" would help.
Naturally.

I get a lot of free coupons from companies with phrases like that. This is off topic but a good tip for saving money on food items, complain about them. I really only do this if I actually had an issue, even if it's a minor one but it's nice to get free stuff. Recently I complained about the unsatisfactory amount of marshmallows in my Lucky Charms and recieved coupons for 2 free boxes of any General Mills cereal (including Jumbo/Family size boxes which are pricey) and $1 off any General Mills products (and their brand encompasses a lot of products). Good way to save money for cash strapped University students.
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:33 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Naturally.

I get a lot of free coupons from companies with phrases like that. This is off topic but a good tip for saving money on food items, complain about them. I really only do this if I actually had an issue, even if it's a minor one but it's nice to get free stuff. Recently I complained about the unsatisfactory amount of marshmallows in my Lucky Charms and recieved coupons for 2 free boxes of any General Mills cereal (including Jumbo/Family size boxes which are pricey) and $1 off any General Mills products (and their brand encompasses a lot of products). Good way to save money for cash strapped University students.
WHAT?! Are you serious?! That's awesome! Thanks for the tip! ^-^
Old 07-24-2009 at 11:45 AM   #43
sew12
Elite Member

Companies aim to please. Most of them have a section on their website for consumer questions, comments or complaints. Just e-mail them and tell them your problem, throw in a lot of "I was very disappointed" and "I usually love this product" and "If this continues" etc, depending on the situation. Obviously my advice isn't to abuse the system but if you have a problem a food product ever you should definitely complain to the company. They have quality control standards and will sometimes ask for a UPC so they can correct issues in future. After you provide your info someone will get back to you apologizing and will tell you they are sending you coupons, very soon after you will get really good coupons on the mail. They're never crappy coupons like 50 cents off, it's almost always one for a free item and the coupon includes the biggest quantity of the item (ie a Jumbo box of cereal), and they often don't expire for a while.

jhan523 says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:29 PM   #44
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

sweet. cell phones plan are such a hassle. SAF is a huge rip off. If you guys have been with a provider for a long time try calling retentions. be very, very nice to the CSR and they can actually hook you up with really sweet plans
Old 07-24-2009 at 07:52 PM   #45
Annie

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
sweet. cell phones plan are such a hassle. SAF is a huge rip off. If you guys have been with a provider for a long time try calling retentions. be very, very nice to the CSR and they can actually hook you up with really sweet plans
Your post actually reminded me of something on Redflagdeals forum of someone who actually outlines step by step how to use the calling retention line for existing Rogers customers to get better deals:

Quote:
STARTER: What're we talking about
ARE YOU ENTITLED:
THE OBJECTIVE: Get a better deal/how?
STRATEGY:

STARTER:The Rogers Customer Relations Department(CxR)# is: 1-888-936-7283 Or more Easily accessed by calling *611 (from your cell) and saying "cancel my phone" at the automated machine (This will connect you to Retentions (It will Not cancel your phone-Believe me-it takes a lot more than just that to cancel-but not much more mind you).

a.k.a. Loyalty
a.k.a. Special Duties Unit

This is a Dept created for the sole purposes of retaining unhappy Customers (Cx) who want to cancel. Cx of Rogers are supposed to call *611 (Customer Support (CxS)) initially and make their case. Upon determining that the Cx is sincere and won't budge, the rep is supposed to transfer you to CxR.

You can bypass calling CxS by calling direct-(*they know if you've been put through., or are calling directly)-this may impact results., hence my recommendation above.

CxR, has at their disposal special plans & features that no other departments have. They have these so that they can do their best to accomodate "frustrated" Cx's and to convince them to remain with Rogers Wireless (The Best cellphone network in Canada!!!).

WHO GETS IT:

Must be an existing customer of Rogers. How long...well you'd think at least 6 months-but I've read of people getting the standard plans after only a few-Rest assured that the scenario was very unique-and uncommon.

There is talk of things like tenure, monthly averages/overages, Cx profile impacting what sort of plans CxR will offer you, but as I don't work there I really don't know. I hope someone who does work there can shed some light on this.

It seems as though given your profile, along with the basic Retention plan other plans and add-ons may or may not become available to you as well-this may be why some people get certain plans while others don't-who knows.

Read rest of the post here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...php?t=1118 87