MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing Selection Help MirandaC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-16-2011 05:32 PM
choosing electives luna Academics 1 06-30-2010 06:15 PM
Choosing Electives anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-01-2010 11:18 AM
Reasons for choosing Mac Connor_92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 04-07-2010 09:00 PM
Choosing residence? kirsten..! Residence & Housing 2 02-21-2010 03:22 PM

Choosing a Superphone

Old 08-14-2011 at 09:08 AM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Choosing a Superphone
2011 seems to be the year of Superphones and dual-core processors. Which Superphone are you planning to buy, have bought, or would recommend?

Some of the noteworthy competitors in my opinion would be:
  • Samsung Galaxy S II
  • HTC Evo 3D
  • HTC Sensation 4G
  • Motorola Atrix
I'm planning to purchase a phone soon, and would like to hear your opinions. Also which Android interface you think is the best (HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, etc.) Have a look at the spreadsheet below that highlights many android 'superphones'. Or are you waiting on the iPhone 5?

I think the Samsung Galaxy S II is the winner this year in terms of processing power, and the iPhone 5 won't be able to match it.

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-14-2011 at 09:44 AM   #2
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Just a heads up on the interface/launcher. You can download custom launchers which are better than any of the stock ones. Some of the popular launchers are GoLauncherEX, LauncherPro, and ADWLauncher.
Old 08-14-2011 at 09:46 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I'm happy with my single core phone... seriously, what are you people doing with your telephones that you need so much power? :S
Old 08-14-2011 at 09:46 AM   #4
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

that's a nice table for summarizing the superphones out right now.. Just one question though...
why do you think the galaxy S2 will have more processing power than the new iphone? I'd expect that apple will boost the performance of their A5 chip to at least match the galaxies when the new phone ships
Old 08-14-2011 at 09:47 AM   #5
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
Just a heads up on the interface/launcher. You can download custom launchers which are better than any of the stock ones. Some of the popular launchers are GoLauncherEX, LauncherPro, and ADWLauncher.
And you can even root your phone to further change the UI to Cyanogen or other ones. So Mr. OP, i wouldn't use the stock UI as a selling point.

IMO i'd say the new Galaxy takes the cake... it's pretty wicked
Old 08-14-2011 at 09:53 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
And you can even root your phone to further change the UI to Cyanogen or other ones. So Mr. OP, i wouldn't use the stock UI as a selling point.
He's not 'using it as a selling point' he's just curious as to what people think looks the best.

Allan says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 08-14-2011 at 10:03 AM   #7
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
He's not 'using it as a selling point' he's just curious as to what people think looks the best.
Oh, my mistake, i misconstrued what he was saying.
Old 08-14-2011 at 10:04 AM   #8
Allan
Elite Member

So which phones(s) do you guys recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy89 View Post
that's a nice table for summarizing the superphones out right now.. Just one question though...
why do you think the galaxy S2 will have more processing power than the new iphone? I'd expect that apple will boost the performance of their A5 chip to at least match the galaxies when the new phone ships
Just my opinion. I've been looking at the benchmark tests, and the GS2 is so far ahead of the other phones. Obviously we won't know for sure until the iPhone 5 is released.
Old 08-14-2011 at 01:02 PM   #9
thatdudeukno

I might pick up the LG Optimus 2x with the new wind plan. The UI looks good, and should only improve with 2.3.

Last edited by thatdudeukno : 08-14-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2011 at 01:26 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I'm happy with my single core phone... seriously, what are you people doing with your telephones that you need so much power? :S
exactly my thoughts. Most of you will be using it to text and go on facebook...

OEMGEE NEED 3 C0REz t0 check if any1 c0mmented on mah statuss!!

Desda, gmoney, InvisoBill like this.
Old 08-14-2011 at 01:37 PM   #11
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

samsung galaxy sII
Old 08-14-2011 at 01:41 PM   #12
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

i plan on lugging around my iphone 3GS for at least another year... maybe ill tape my old q6600 onto the back of it
Old 08-14-2011 at 02:00 PM   #13
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The iPhone 5 wont neccarily need to have a faster processor than the GSII to outperform it. The iPhones have almost always outperformed (or matched performance) of Android phones at a lower clock speed (3GS running at 600MHz vs 800MHz-1GHz Androids, iPhone running at 800MHz vs 1GHz+ Androids). iOS just seems to be better optimized than Android.

Also, I'll be waiting for the next Nexus... unless the iPhone 5 can run on Wind
Old 08-14-2011 at 04:21 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I've used both the Motorola ATRIX and Samsung Galaxy S II.

Both are amazing super phones in their own way! Speed on either phone is not an issue. All your apps and stuff will be blazing fast although the GSII does come out on top slightly. The screen on the GSII in comparison to the ATRIX looks way better. Everything just pops on the GSII. On the other hand, I got way better battery life on my ATRIX than the GSII. This was the reason I returned to the ATRIX. It had a solid battery life. I could use it with heavy/moderate use for at least a day and a half without a charge (this was using the ALIEN rom from xda)! Whereas with the GSII I had to carry my charger to work. Two other things I liked about the ATRIX was its unique fingerprint scanner and the webtop mode. I liked the fact I can unlock my phone with the swipe of a finger instead of a pin or pattern unlock which people right beside you on bus/train may see. With webtop mode I can basically plug my ATRIX in to my TV using hdmi cable and it acts like a netbook (screen turns into touch pad and keyboard). You have firefox and basically anything you can do on a laptop you can do with the ATRIX via webtop. In terms of stock interface I did not like either one. If I had to choose though the Touchwiz interface looked a little bit more polished. Either way I always put on a custom rom asap.

Just like to reiterate what above users have said this whole dual core thing is absolutely unnecessary for the average user. I've never owned a single core smartphone before but from what I tested out at the stores and from friend's phones their phones are just as 'snappy' has mine with regular use.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 08-14-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Allan says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 08-14-2011 at 06:00 PM   #15
Allan
Elite Member

I agree that having dual core is unnecessary today, but it is inevitably the way forward. Dual core allows webpages to load up faster, display better graphics on games, and allow 1080p video recording/playback.

I'm currently deciding between the HTC Evo 3D and HTC Sensation 4G.