MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have 18 units in first term JayT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-03-2010 04:03 PM
Courses and Units DilC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-10-2010 04:15 PM
Confused about third year courses nba4life Academics 7 01-03-2010 03:01 PM
Confused about Biology courses for first year killza First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-21-2009 03:24 PM
Very Confused! Help with 'units' and course selection sarahsc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 06-10-2008 08:25 PM

Confused about chosing my courses :S and how units work

Old 06-29-2009 at 07:13 PM   #16
Thom14

Liked: 0 Times

Ok, great so this is shaping up to be my course list then, let me know what you think if you want

Mandatory:

ANTHROP 1A03 – Introduction to Anthropology: Culture and Society
ANTHROP 1B03 – World Archaeology
ECON 1B03 – Introductory Microeconomics
GERONTOL 1A03 - Aging and Society
HEALTHST 1A03 – Introduction to Health Studies
INQUIRY 1SS3 - Inquiry in the Social Sciences
POL SCI 1G06 – Politics and Government
PSYCH 1A03 – Introduction to Experimental Psychology
PSYCH 1AA3 - The Psychology of Interpersonal Behaviour
SOC WORK 1A06 – Introduction to Social Work
SOCIOL 1A06 – An Introduction to Sociology
GEO 1HS3 – Geography of the Human Environment

Electives (so far)

Bio 1P03
PHILOS 1A03
PHILOS 1B03

MATH 1K03
(maybe?)

If anyone has a different idea of what courses I should take or if I should keep some and take off others or vice versa please let me know I appreciate all this help! I would like to major in psych but my math/science skills aren't the strongest. So if anyone has a different idea as to what I should do I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks

Old 06-29-2009 at 07:17 PM   #17
shanntz

Liked: 2 Times

Wow, this thread explained almost all my questions! THANKS ALOT!
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:19 PM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom14 View Post
Ok, great so this is shaping up to be my course list then, let me know what you think if you want

Mandatory:

Electives (so far)

Bio 1P03
PHILOS 1A03
PHILOS 1B03
MATH 1K03 (maybe?)

If anyone has a different idea of what courses I should take or if I should keep some and take off others or vice versa please let me know I appreciate all this help! I would like to major in psych but my math/science skills aren't the strongest. So if anyone has a different idea as to what I should do I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks

About your Math elective, if you want to major in Psych, you need one of Math 1A03, 1SL3 or 1M03. You're better off with 1M03 or 1SL3 since 1A03 is supposedly pretty tough.
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:20 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

Mandatory:

Electives (so far)

Bio 1P03
PHILOS 1A03
PHILOS 1B03
MATH 1K03 (maybe?)

Thanks

Just a note, you have to attain a 7.0 average in those 6 units of philosophy in order to get a degree in psychology and philosophy.

You only need to take 12 UNITS of mandatory courses, not 12 courses. The units are listed at the end of the course code. Example: Econ 1B03 is a 3 unit Course
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:21 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
About your Math elective, if you want to major in Psych, you need one of Math 1A03, 1SL3 or 1M03. You're better off with 1M03 or 1SL3 since 1A03 is supposedly pretty tough.
I think 1A03 is only tough if you aren't used to theorems and if you haven't done well in highschool calculus.

It's very important to know that if you want to continue taking math courses you will need to take Math 1A03 (or get a 10+ in Math 1LS3)
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:37 AM   #21
Thom14

well this is what I have so far. I'm not going to bother with psych since I would more than likely run into problems with the math

Here is my course list at the moment, I'm thinking a Soc degree?

Mandatory 12 units:

Electives 18 units:

PSYCH 1X03 INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY, NEUROSCIENCE & BEHAVIOUR
Philosophy, Law and Society 1B03
ECON 1B03

any ideas?
Old 06-30-2009 at 01:25 AM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
well this is what I have so far. I'm not going to bother with psych since I would more than likely run into problems with the math

Here is my course list at the moment, I'm thinking a Soc degree?

Mandatory 12 units:

Electives 18 units:

PSYCH 1X03 INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY, NEUROSCIENCE & BEHAVIOUR
ECON 1B03

any ideas?
Well, make sure you choose a major that you've set your heart on and you feel really good about, don't get discouraged by Math courses. However, it's totally your decision about your future which is very important.

As for your classes, well, you can look up reviews on MacInsiders for some of those to get a more indepth look at what they're all about. Otherwise, it sounds good to me.

Course Reviews: http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98
Old 06-30-2009 at 05:12 AM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I'm minoring in psych and except for 2 stats courses you don't really need math. There's also a social sciences stream for psych if youre interested.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:27 AM   #24
feonateresa
Elite Member

I looked up all the possible degree programs for Psych, and some of them don't even require math, but I'm not sure what you would like to do.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1666.html

If you were to do Honours Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour, you'd need one Math for first year, and then you're done with it. :] Honours just means a 4-year B.A. program, while a regular B.A. program is three years.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:58 AM   #25
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Well I still don't understand why anything other then 1M03(Which is social science maths) is recommended to social science students at all! I mean 1LS3 is a PURELY science course which is even criticized by some science students since its sooo specefic on sciency applications and less on theory. 1A03 covers more theory but then again, it is called Calculus for Science! A social Science student doesn't need to know that! Plus if he does 1M03 he can even use it for Econ if he randomly likes econ and decides to major in that!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-30-2009 at 12:08 PM   #26
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well I still don't understand why anything other then 1M03(Which is social science maths) is recommended to social science students at all! I mean 1LS3 is a PURELY science course which is even criticized by some science students since its sooo specefic on sciency applications and less on theory. 1A03 covers more theory but then again, it is called Calculus for Science! A social Science student doesn't need to know that! Plus if he does 1M03 he can even use it for Econ if he randomly likes econ and decides to major in that!
Yeah, I'm not too sure either - but I mean, Psych is one of those weird majors that's borderline Science but not there yet.
Old 06-30-2009 at 07:58 PM   #27
Thom14

well I think I have my first year courses picked out but then again I'm not too sure how this looks. Any opinions?

(As my 12 mandatory courses)

(my electives)
ECON 1BB3
Psych 1X03
ANTHROP 1A03

after much consideration I'm going to try to attain my Soc. Degree. So if anyone has been in the program and has any tips for courses to take first year or if i should change anything the help would be amazing! I was looking at my timetable and sorting it out and I just thought it looked weird, seven classes for 30 units seems low to me, but then again I'm new at this so I probably have no idea It's just I'm not sure how to divide my courses per term and what not

any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone! You're all lifesavers!
Old 06-30-2009
feonateresa
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-30-2009 at 08:11 PM   #28
feonateresa
Elite Member

Hmm. When I went into first year, I was mostly convinced I'd go through with a Sociology degree with hopes of going to law school afterwards. I took Soc 1A06, and talked to my TA about it and all. Basically, get used to writing essays - lot of them. Get used to reading articles and researching.

So I would suggest taking courses with lots of essays and things like that. With that said, Poli Sci, Philosophy and Anthro 1A03 are really good. Sometimes even the themes in these classes are similar, so that will help you out too.

I also learned that you should be open to the possibility of getting a Masters degree, or even PhD as it opens a lot more doors in Sociology.

7 classes is totally normal, as you can have as low as 5 classes and as high as 10 classes. I took 7 classes last year too, and it was fine. Edit: And normally, it's suggested that you take 15 units per term.

Last edited by feonateresa : 06-30-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2009 at 08:13 PM   #29
Thom14

that's perfect thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm hoping to maybe teach or work in a government job.