Important Dates Nino General Discussion 72 08-03-2009 11:13 PM
Course Selection Dates lorend MacInsiders Announcements 29 06-22-2009 09:26 PM
Important Dates Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-20-2007 12:54 AM
Important Dates Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-02-2007 04:00 PM

Course Selection Dates

Old 05-29-2008 at 05:35 PM   #30
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times
oh ok that kind of sucks since people in social science are the last of the last but thanks anyway

Old 05-29-2008 at 06:21 PM   #31
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
Danielle's right about choosing courses in advance too. I have my 10 courses chosen already and back ups in case I don't get one. Then again, I'm going into third year so I always get the courses I want since there's only less than 100 people in my program

Old 05-29-2008 at 06:34 PM   #32
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times
I really want too have an academic counselling before I pick my courses but the thing is, the Faculty of Science website says that acaedmic counselling will be on the last week of June or early July and the starting date for Science is JUNE 30th! All dates are cramming together!

Another thing, as for academic counselling, I have the information from May @ Mac that Faculties will post information about academic counselling on their website on May 28 the latest date. But t I checked yesterday (May 28) on the science.mcmaster.ca and there's nothing on it that says anything about academic counselling!

And if you could click on this page: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...unselling.html

as of May 29 7:34 PM, the website says:

Quote:
2008 - 2009 Academic Counselling

Information about academic counselling sessions for new students will be available here the week of May 26.
It IS the week of May 26 and still no update. What is this ? Are they having trouble updating or what? Wil lthey update us tomorrow since it's Friday tommorrow?

Please Help!!!!!

Old 05-29-2008 at 07:13 PM   #33
ferreinm
Elite Member

McMaster likes making people wait. They'll make you wait over a month to see your grades. they'll take a week to post lecture notes. They like taking their time. So if it's the week of the 26th odds are it'll be up tomorrow or Saturday.

Old 05-29-2008 at 08:12 PM   #34
woodlawngirl

once i pick my courses on SOLAR am i allowed to change them? and does any one know when they are going to post the dates for the summer orientation?

Old 05-29-2008 at 08:20 PM   #35
ferreinm
Elite Member

You can definitely change your courses if you want to. However, try not to because the course you want may be full. Just look through the calendar carefully and ask questions on the forums about certain courses so you can make the best choices for youself.

As for the summer orientation dates, if it's regarding schedules I'm not sure but if it's just a general come to Mac day I'm pretty sure we have Welcome Day August 8th and Mission to Mac throughout the summer (students go to your hometown)

Old 05-29-2008 at 09:37 PM   #36
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times
there should always be room to take all your required courses. but then if you have certain electives you want to take, then for sure register at 12 a.m. if spots are all taken, then you have to pick another elective. :(

Old 05-29-2008 at 09:53 PM   #37
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWithMac View Post
I really want too have an academic counselling before I pick my courses but the thing is, the Faculty of Science website says that acaedmic counselling will be on the last week of June or early July and the starting date for Science is JUNE 30th! All dates are cramming together!

Another thing, as for academic counselling, I have the information from May @ Mac that Faculties will post information about academic counselling on their website on May 28 the latest date. But t I checked yesterday (May 28) on the science.mcmaster.ca and there's nothing on it that says anything about academic counselling!

And if you could click on this page: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...unselling.html

as of May 29 7:34 PM, the website says:

It IS the week of May 26 and still no update. What is this ? Are they having trouble updating or what? Wil lthey update us tomorrow since it's Friday tommorrow?

Please Help!!!!!
You're not the only one irritated by this. I'm advertising for a program I'm running about the academic side of first year life at Mac...and since the office of the registrar is yet again being lame they are making my life hard.

It should be up tomorrow, as it is the last day of the week and no one works at Mac on the weekend. However...operative word is SHOULD.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-29-2008 at 10:08 PM   #38
jag6232

So... especially for someone in Social Sciences and getting last pick at the classes, I should be on SOLAR at 12 a.m. so I can get everything I want?
And in terms of some classes fill faster than others... would that be a reference to ones where there are only 1 core section? One timeslot for lectures, and thus limited flexibility in your schedule?

Old 05-29-2008 at 10:12 PM   #39
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

it depends on the class and the year.

sometimes there is only one section available for the course all year, or even for two years.

but yes, sometimes it is picking between an 8:30 and 10:30 (or later) lecture.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-31-2008 at 05:17 AM   #40
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Be sure to ACTIVATE your MCMASTER MAC ID!
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5 2#post18252

Old 05-31-2008 at 10:24 AM   #41
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
A note about courses filling up... don't get totally discouraged if the course you really wanted to take fills up fast. Work that class into your time table even if you're not registered for it and go to the classes, keep up with the lectures. DON'T BUY THE TEXTBOOK UNTIL YOU KNOW YOU'RE IN IT. Borrow it from the library if possible to keep up on the readings. If you can't do this, don't sweat it you will be able to catch up.
During the drop/add period you will see a lot of students drop classes for others, in this time you may be able to get into your class that you have been shadowing. If not, go to the prof and plead your case. It doesn't often that too much persuasion on your part, I did it three times in my first year. Explain that you really want to take this course, that you've been going to all the lectures and you're on top of what's going on. In most cases they should let you in, if they don't have that power they can send you to someone who does, most likely with their permission.

Last edited by kokosas : 05-31-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 05-31-2008 at 11:45 AM   #42
jag6232

I'll definitely keep that in mind, since it sounds like a good way to prove to the prof that you want the class.

Old 05-31-2008 at 01:55 PM   #43
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times
I'm a little confused about scheduling courses. The Solar Entry schedule says that Level 1 Engineers can only register for courses after July 2. But the Level 1 Engineering registration videos make it seem like I can access solar now and apply for my courses. As well, the pre-registration sessions start before July 2nd, and I thought that was when they helped you pick your courses.

Another thing, what is the difference between the undergraduate calendar (which is available) and the Master Course Timetable (that isn't available yet).

A third question (sorry i seem to be confused about a lot) I have is that when you register for your courses do you get to pick your times? Because from the videos it seems like you don't.

Old 05-31-2008 at 02:05 PM   #44
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

dragonfly, it depends on when the videos were made. only since last year were you allowed to pick the sections (and thus the times and days of your courses. previous to that you were put in them).

the undergraduate calendar lists all of the courses that mcmaster offers. it does not take into account ones offered bi-yearly, or only taught by certain instructors. the master course timetable says exactly what courses are offered, at what times, and taught by who.

the engineering department likely put up the video early, not realizing that you can't pick courses for another month. if a session occurs before the date you are allowed to pick courses you will go through a mock course selection. so instead of being allowed to go and pick courses using your MAC ID, you would be going on using a non-active ID set up by the University Technology Services.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search