MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bikes steph.elle Residence & Housing 2 08-26-2010 07:53 PM
1BR 2 people apart kyrios91 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 1 05-16-2010 08:33 PM
Bikes for Commuters. goodnews.inc General Discussion 2 07-08-2009 10:39 PM
Bikes davidkim90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 10-01-2008 07:26 PM
bikes?? jasminexo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-05-2008 07:40 PM

Do people steal bikes?

Old 08-18-2009 at 12:45 PM   #1
Rail24

Liked: 0 Times

Do people steal bikes?
Just curious to know if anyone has had their bike stolen... Whether it's while you have it in your building or while you're at class, I'm a bit worried someone might steal mine.
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:49 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Buy a nice solid lock
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:49 PM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

ive seen people's bikes that have had their tires kicked in and shit, people do stupid stuff all the time, definitely lock it up though.
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:57 PM   #4
mclellk

my bike was stolen around final exams last year. it was locked up beside my house, which is about 5 minutes off campus, and beside my bf's non-locked bike. they were both stolen.

definitely buy a good lock - the money's worth it!

(but seriously, who would go through the effort to break a lock so they can steal a rusty bike with one pedal?!)
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:05 PM   #5
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

My buddy's nice bike was stolen from right outside of rez.
He then brought a crappy bike which no one would want to steal.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:08 PM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

So many bikes have been stolen at Mac.

Rumour has it that there is literally a bike stealing ring around Westdale which preys on unsuspecting students. The thieves apparently steal bikes, repaint them and go and sell them in Scarborough/Mississauga.

Don't bring a bike that is worth more than $10.

shockalot, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:14 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yeah, I know tons of people who have had bikes stolen in and around Mac. Sometimes even crappy ones have gotten stolen too.

If you're looking at an inexpensive bike, MaCycle has some for really cheap.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

daisy says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:22 PM   #8
mclellk

are the bikes stolen on-campus ones usually that are locked up, or does it matter? i had to get a new bike after my last one and now you guys are making me paranoid about bringing it to school
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:26 PM   #9
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

living on rez, the paranoia is probably warranted. friends of mine have lost countless bikes, including one who lost a $900 BMX bike. EFRT doesn't leave their bikes out of their sight.

get a cheap bike, like danielle said, you can buy cheap workable ones from MacCycle, or if you find a broken one, MacCycle will teach you how to fix them up etc.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:32 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

The thing I seem to notice is people like not only stealing bikes on campus, but also beating the shit out of them. There are so many bikes still locked up, but with completely screwed up and horribly dented up frames and wheels.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:37 PM   #11
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

If your scared of your expensive bike being dented/stolen, some good advice is to leave it in your dorm when you come back from class, your bike will be fine if you take it to class when its daylight, just watch out for drunk people during the night looking to cause some mayhem.

daisy says thanks to MacEng for this post.
Old 08-18-2009 at 02:37 PM   #12
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

MacCycle also sells really good locks for 5 dollars. It locks around the bike and has a little u-shaped lock that goes through the tire. MacCycle is located in the basement of Wentworth house, under The Phoenix, between Mills Library and MDCL.

Check out their detailed site here!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 08-18-2009 at 03:40 PM   #13
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclellk View Post
are the bikes stolen on-campus ones usually that are locked up, or does it matter? i had to get a new bike after my last one and now you guys are making me paranoid about bringing it to school
instead of leaving your bike out at night, i think most residences have a bike storage room in the basement.
Old 08-18-2009 at 04:14 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
instead of leaving your bike out at night, i think most residences have a bike storage room in the basement.
they do. but i think it's only a limited amount of space (i.e. 100 people can't bring bikes and expect to put them there)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-18-2009 at 04:18 PM   #15
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
My buddy's nice bike was stolen from right outside of rez.
He then brought a crappy bike which no one would want to steal.
Yup, very true. I have a crappy bike with no gears and a 1 dollar lock.