MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is it that a guy wants/needs to feel secure in a relationship? fusionorchid Dating & Relationships 10 07-11-2011 03:39 PM
Do you feel sleep is necessary before an exam? Frank Ocean General Discussion 40 04-19-2011 04:57 AM
Okay, so I feel like an idiot.. Olivia. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 03-08-2010 11:15 PM
Feel sad :( Don't know anyone Myaccount Residence & Housing 31 09-11-2009 09:24 PM
I feel so helpless. Please help. sad cypress General Discussion 8 07-14-2008 02:38 PM

What do you feel about Volunteering?

Old 11-21-2011 at 12:12 PM   #1
The Guardian

Liked: 3 Times

What do you feel about Volunteering?
Hey Mac students!

Just wanted to get an idea for what the atmosphere is towards volunteering while in University. I know people that volunteer on an on/off again basis, people who volunteer consistently and people who don't volunteer at all. I'd like to hear from Macinsiders why you would/wouldn't volunteer in the community

Best Regards,
The Guardian
Old 11-21-2011 at 03:06 PM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

its good to volunteer, especially in university, first off its not like u have sooo much work that u dont have the time to, thats just bs cus u know ur just fooling around half the time. plus volunteering doesnt mean spending a lot of time a week helping out, you can go in once a week for an hour or once a month for a couple and places that accept volunteers are usually really flexible, especially with university kids cus they know were busy at different times. that being said if you plan on volunteering at a hospital they have pretty set times when u need to come in and u need to schedules around them sometimes so just make sure the place ur volunteering at is flexible enough for you. volunteering is also great to put onto your resume especially for grad or prof schools. its not all about the grades, its about extracurriculars too and getting out there and helping the community.
Old 11-21-2011 at 03:09 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its boring, menial, uninsteresting, not valuble, and I don't really care for my particular 'community'? I suppose I would get involved if it was easier and the tasks were more enjoyable?

AmyLia, xxsumz all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

Yogurt likes this.
Old 11-21-2011 at 04:05 PM   #4
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Let's face it, most young people only volunteer when it's mandatory (e.g. 40 hours in high school, or they're in an athletic program that requires it) or because it will look good on a resume. Nobody does it out of the goodness of their heart.

xxsumz says thanks to RockerSocker for this post.

muons likes this.
Old 11-21-2011 at 04:19 PM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I volunteered in the summer of 2010 about 4 days of the week just because.

Afzal, chantelf, jim1, Richa like this.
Old 11-21-2011 at 04:24 PM   #6
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
Let's face it, most young people only volunteer when it's mandatory (e.g. 40 hours in high school, or they're in an athletic program that requires it) or because it will look good on a resume. Nobody does it out of the goodness of their heart.
even though you are MOSTLY right i take insult to this, yea sure a lot of people now adays only do these things cus they want to get something out of it but there are others who have personal reasons and do do it because they want to without wanting something out of it. and imo if ur only volunteering cus u want to put it on ur resume or want something out of it then you have no right to. but then again no matter what intent they have volunteers are a great asset to some organizations and its because of volunteers that some of these awesome organizations are even able to function.

Afzal, Kathy2 like this.
Old 11-21-2011 at 04:27 PM   #7
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

I don't spend any time volunteering. There just aren't volunteering opportunities that I find interesting enough to put my time into it. I don't feel like being forced to spend my time volunteering for a cause that I have no vested interest in. This is what bugs me most about many applications to grad and professional schools for example. It would feel forced and complete bullshit for me to volunteer for something JUST to make my application/resume look pretty. It's all lies.

I volunteered in high school working with live audio and lighting. I absolutely loved it, and went above and beyond the 40 required hours. I did it because I was passionate about it. I now get paid to do the same thing on a larger scale. But even if the job opportunity wasn't there, I would still do it for free. If you can find something that you love in terms of volunteering, then by all means do it. It shouldn't feel forced.

Tl;DR: I hate it when you feel forced to volunteer for something

Last edited by Buszaj : 11-21-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Old 11-21-2011 at 04:31 PM   #8
mcmcmc

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Its boring, menial, uninsteresting, not valuble, and I don't really care for my particular 'community'? I suppose I would get involved if it was easier and the tasks were more enjoyable?
... um you have a pretty close minded view of what volunteering is.

"I suppose I would get involved if it was easier and the tasks were more enjoyable?" not all volunteer tasks are the same, you could probably find something you like, there's volunteering opportunities in every field of interest. & it's not solely based on giving back to the 'community'

not saying you should want to volunteer... just don't be so hostile towards it lol

Last edited by mcmcmc : 11-21-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2011 at 05:09 PM   #9
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
Hey Mac students!

Just wanted to get an idea for what the atmosphere is towards volunteering while in University. I know people that volunteer on an on/off again basis, people who volunteer consistently and people who don't volunteer at all. I'd like to hear from Macinsiders why you would/wouldn't volunteer in the community

Best Regards,
The Guardian
I've volunteered ~3 hours amost every week for the past few years of university. I'm doing less volunteering this year, because it's my final year and I really wanted time to focus on capstone projects/job hunting etc, but I think I'm going to get back into it next semester, because I miss it.

It always shocks me when I hear people say they're only volunteering to put things on their resume/to apply to professional school, and when they assume I'm doing the same. That thought has honestly never crossed my mind when I signed up for any volunteer activity and while its good that it encourages people to give some of their time, I feel like it degrades the idea beghind volunteering in the first place.

That being said, I do wish community volunteer opportunitities were better advertised at Mac- or maybe I just don't know where to look?

Last edited by Geek : 11-21-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2011 at 06:03 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I volunteered every year I was in university, usually 2-3 hours per week.

Some of it was fun - I started volunteering at the SPCA years ago (just for fun), walking dogs and playing with cats. I still do it today and I love it.
Some of it was a pain in the butt - I volunteered at the Christmas "party" they do for kids downtown (just for my resume). I had to deal with countless angry parents yelling at me. I hated it.

I don't really see volunteering as "helping my community". But the places I enjoy volunteering at, I'm interested in helping those in need (ie. I really enjoy volunteering at the SPCA. I love animals and it means a lot to me to help them).

I agree with other posters that when you are forced to volunteer for something or when you're just doing it for your resume/grad application, it sucks the fun out of it. But if you find something you care about, then find a place where you can volunteer to help improve that thing you care about, it becomes very rewarding.
Old 11-22-2011 at 02:45 PM   #11
The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I've volunteered ~3 hours amost every week for the past few years of university. I'm doing less volunteering this year, because it's my final year and I really wanted time to focus on capstone projects/job hunting etc, but I think I'm going to get back into it next semester, because I miss it.

It always shocks me when I hear people say they're only volunteering to put things on their resume/to apply to professional school, and when they assume I'm doing the same. That thought has honestly never crossed my mind when I signed up for any volunteer activity and while its good that it encourages people to give some of their time, I feel like it degrades the idea beghind volunteering in the first place.

That being said, I do wish community volunteer opportunitities were better advertised at Mac- or maybe I just don't know where to look?
If you're looking for some ideas, you could try the Student Success Centre in Gilmour Hall. The Volunteer Connection Peers have office hours there and could show you some neat stuff.

Geek says thanks to The Guardian for this post.
Old 11-22-2011 at 08:17 PM   #12
The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I volunteered in the summer of 2010 about 4 days of the week just because.
Was it the same thing each day? Well, actually either way...bravo =)