MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM
Move-In lorend Residence & Housing 57 09-04-2007 12:40 AM

how does res move-in work?

Old 08-30-2009 at 08:31 PM   #1
arjun2001

Liked: 0 Times

how does res move-in work?
I have a lot of questions about the move-in... seems like I am behind others on this information...

So what exactly happens on res move-in.. (Whidden)

do we store all our stuff and start living thr? can our parents come? wat abt the food, will we get our meal card when we arrive?

does welcome week start on the day we arrive...??

do the reps show us around the campus?

i read somewhere you have to label your luggage.... so basically my name, apartment#, and bunk bed letter?

also i haven't picked up my osap yet... can i pick it up after i move to res?

why is the move-in time till 12 pm, what happens at 12? do the parents leave at 12 basically?

These are some questions that I have been wondering about. I will be glad if you can answer any...thank u!
Old 08-30-2009 at 08:48 PM   #2
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times

Sept. 5 or 6 is your move-in day, and that is when you will start living there. Yes, your parents can come There will be upper year students who will be helping you bring your luggage up to your room as well. Remember to bring a photo and your student ID in order to get the room key.

Meal plan money is in your student ID - you use that to pay at the restaurants/cafes.

Welcome week starts with the Mac Connector on Sept. 6.

I don't think you have to label your luggage, since you're going to be the one handling it anyway. But just in case, you can do that if you want.

You can pick up your OSAP after moving in, just a longer line-up I think.

Move-in is until 12 pm so that it will be less crowded. So some floors move in during that time, and during 12-4 another group of floors move in. 12 pm is basically the time you should be mostly settled and not moving stuff into your room anymore. Your parents don't have to leave
Old 08-30-2009 at 08:51 PM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

read the move in info you get from housing services.
read the housing services website, housing.mcmaster.ca

on res move-in you go to the residence area, there will be people directing you to where to go and what to do.
yes, you move your stuff into your room and start living there. yes, your parents can come for the move in.
your student card IS your meal card.
welcome week really starts on sunday, but there are activities planned on the weekends, like getting to know the people on your floor.
no, the reps do not show you around campus. look at a map.

yes, label your stuff. this is because the WW reps are going to be moving your stuff in for you (so you don't have to climb all those stairs). of course, you can move in the things on your own if you want. and if you forget to label your stuff, labels and a marker will be provided.

yes, pick up OSAP after.

parents leave at 12? wat
after 12pm it's supposed to be move-in for other people. It's to coordinate times and everything so they don't have like 3000 people moving in at once. This splits it up.
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:08 PM   #4
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

You need to label your stuff with your name, residence and room number.

I got a quick tour of campus from the Kin reps during Faculty Day, but I don't know if every faculty does that.
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:11 PM   #5
arjun2001

Thanks! That answers all my questions...
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:12 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRan View Post
You need to label your stuff with your name, residence and room number.

I got a quick tour of campus from the Kin reps during Faculty Day, but I don't know if every faculty does that.
Nope, science didn't do that. Probably because of the sheer number of students.
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:16 PM   #7
cddbc

are their any events after 12pm when we already moved in on the 5th and 6th?
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:17 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbc View Post
are their any events after 12pm when we already moved in on the 5th and 6th?
Yes, there will be events organized by your residence.