MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You NEED to Watch This. mellye Anime & Comic Books 10 09-18-2010 10:46 PM
New blog - MSU watch! msupundit General Discussion 28 12-01-2009 10:03 PM
Watch Yourself at 1280! micadjems General Discussion 4 09-04-2009 11:16 AM
movie theatres in hamilton... movie club? macculkin General Discussion 7 06-27-2009 09:23 PM
Watch This! lorend General Discussion 0 10-06-2007 06:25 PM

What does it take for you to watch a movie?

Old 04-23-2010 at 08:20 AM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

What does it take for you to watch a movie?
To be honest, I'm really just trying to procrastinate. ;D Anywhoozle.

a) What does it take for you to watch a movie in general?
and
b) What does it take for you to watch a movie in theatres? (ie: spend money on it)

For me, the answer is the same regardless.

If it has Joaquin Phoenix in it, music composed by Hans Zimmer or John Williams, is based on a comic/graphic novel or based around some sort of fantasy world, I'll go see it. If I ever watch a movie that doesn't fall under those categories, it's only out of sheer boredom and the fact that I can't find anything else to do with my life at that moment.

WBU?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 04-23-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2010 at 08:29 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

If it's the genre I like, the first 15 seconds of the trailer on youtube didn't put me to sleep, and it's rating on RottenTomatoes isn't over 50% bad, I may watch it. For me to watch it in theatres it has to be an action flick or something worth seeing on a big screen to get the 'full experience'.
Old 04-23-2010 at 08:32 AM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

True. Surround sound is always a bonus. xD
I've never used Rotten Tomatoes. I generally don't trust reviews. o_o

And rofl, I am NEVER again trusting trailers (with the exception being Iron Man 2) again. Lovely Bones was such a huge disappointment. :@

Old 04-23-2010 at 08:34 AM   #4
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

a) Comedy or Action.
b) Comedy or Action, good reviews on IMDB and perhaps certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 04-23-2010 at 08:38 AM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Just wondering, out of the people who use RT.... why do you like it? Just checked it out briefly... doesn't seem spectacular by any means, imo. ;o

Last edited by lawleypop : 04-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2010 at 09:48 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

It's a pretty good way to get general thoughts on a movie, I don't really read the reviews from individual users since they are usually all over the place, but if you have 5000+ reviews for a movie you can generally trust the tomato rating from the users (NOT THE CRITICS!) as being fairly accurate. If it's a splatter icon it means the movie sucked, and its usually right.

lawleypop says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 04-23-2010 at 09:55 AM   #7
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I'll watch anything...seriously tho. If I can download it, I'll watch it. Regardless of how crap or good it is. I dont even look at ratings from other places..can only trust my self when it comes to that.

The only time I watch stuff in theatres is if my friends are going to watch it. Going alone = no fun.
Old 04-23-2010 at 10:00 AM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
I'll watch anything...seriously tho. If I can download it, I'll watch it. Regardless of how crap or good it is. I dont even look at ratings from other places..can only trust my self when it comes to that.

The only time I watch stuff in theatres is if my friends are going to watch it. Going alone = no fun.
I used to go by the whole "I trust my friend's ratings" but even that fails most of the time. I had one success a few days ago but that was the first time in months that someone's recommended me a movie that I enjoyed.

I like going to movies alone. ;o

Old 04-23-2010 at 10:02 AM   #9
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I used to go by the whole "I trust my friend's ratings" but even that fails most of the time. I had one success a few days ago but that was the first time in months that someone's recommended me a movie that I enjoyed.

I like going to movies alone. ;o
Really? Idk, going alone just feels wierd, but I guess thats just me. Only good movie Ive seen recently is Kick Ass
Old 04-23-2010 at 10:04 AM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Really? Idk, going alone just feels wierd, but I guess thats just me. Only good movie Ive seen recently is Kick Ass
Idk, I used to feel weird going to things alone and I NEVER did till this year. I always imagined that people would like, somehow know that I'm there alone and they'd talk secretly amongst themselves about it. haha.

But yea, I've gotten over that hump and go to movies and concerts alone now. I'd rather go somewhere alone than miss out completely b/c I don't have any friends who like the same things as me. XDD But yea, it's really not that big a deal now that I do it, lol. Talk about having a bad impression of something.

Old 04-23-2010 at 10:04 AM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Pretty much this. I rarely think "I have to go see this in theatres!", its usually when people are bored and we have nothing else to do besides go to a movie (in Bowmanville this is common) or when someone else says "Yeah, lets go see this movie".

Watching a movie in general? I need to be bored, and be caught up on the TV shows I watch. Then I watch whatever's on the top of my "to watch" list.
Old 04-23-2010 at 10:05 AM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Oh, I take it back. I've never not liked something that Marlowe's recommended. XD

Marlowe likes this.
Old 04-23-2010 at 10:08 AM   #13
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Idk, I used to feel weird going to things alone and I NEVER did till this year. I always imagined that people would like, somehow know that I'm there alone and they'd talk secretly amongst themselves about it. haha.
LOL! This sounds oddly familiar...
Old 04-23-2010 at 10:09 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
LOL! This sounds oddly familiar...
XD Why's that? You think the same way or something? ;D

Old 04-23-2010 at 10:14 AM   #15
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

usually I go by a director/film maker that I like and just watch everything that they've made. maybe it is goofy to suggest but I like metacritic/rottentomatoes rankings that are at about 50% best. The films that polarize critics along loveit/hateit are usually the most interesting to watch.

and then I also go through the supposed 'classics' that ebert gave **** to when I'm bored. Or recommended by people on imdb or other sites that I scour. I used to try and watch a movie everyday.

that or go through a genre and search through top 10 lists. going thru the major film noir titles now i guess

Last edited by andrew22 : 04-23-2010 at 10:18 AM.