MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM

Easy First Year Electives

Old 06-30-2010 at 02:26 PM   #376
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
i'm confused now apparently Geo 1A03 is now health age 1BB3 according to the Mcmaster cource outline. Is this true because I registered for Geo 1AO3 thinking its the same aging of the population or is this nor in health age?
Geo 1A03 doesn't exist anymore, I have no idea how you registered for this course.
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:32 PM   #377
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Oops sorry I clicked on the old cource outlines from last year I think (very strange I know). I registered for Geo 1HA3 (not Geo 1AA3). So is Health Age 1BB3 the same as the former Geo 1AA3 and if so what is Geo 1HA3 like?
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:35 PM   #378
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
Oops sorry I clicked on the old cource outlines from last year I think (very strange I know). I registered for Geo 1HA3 (not Geo 1AA3). So is Health Age 1BB3 the same as the former Geo 1AA3 and if so what is Geo 1HA3 like?
The undergraduate calendar says that HTH AGE 1BB3 was formerly GERON 1A03. There is a course outline for GEO 1HA3 Course Outlines
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:57 PM   #379
damee

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Anybody know much on Psych 1A03 and Psych 1AA3? I heard theyre video lectures... Dont really understand how that works ahah
psych 1x03 is video lectures, psych 1xx3 has video and a live lecture. they are difficult depending on your strengths.

I'm majoring in linguistic cognitive science at the moment and ling 1a03 and 1aa3 are not easy electives. They are best taken with another language for better understanding. I suggest taking latin as an elective I found that to be easy, Latin1z03 in particular.
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:52 PM   #380
moonlitnight

Liked: 4 Times

how is Music 1A03 & 1AA3? I have chosen both macro & micro econ on SOLAR but thinking of changing them if i can..mostly because the only business course i took was business management (12U), and though i got good marks(thanks to the teacher and the format of the course), i didn't really enjoy the course....
any advice?
Old 07-13-2010 at 08:44 PM   #381
strawbrryjam

wat about psych 1xx3?
and music 1a03/1aa3?
Old 07-17-2010 at 11:33 AM   #382
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Hey there,

I'm a first year Life Science student, and I would like some suggestions for choosing my electives. For my required courses I'll be taking:
  • BIOLOGY 1A03
  • BIOLOGY 1M03
  • PHYCH 1X03
  • PSYCH 1XX3
  • CHEM 1A03
  • CHEM 1AA3
  • PHYSICS 1L03
  • MATH 1LS3

Now I need to choose my two electives. In high school , my strongest area was usually biology, so I was thinking whether I should take Kinesiology. But I'm afraid that it'll be too much work considering I'm already taking fairly 'heavy' courses. What would be some easy courses to take?
Old 07-17-2010 at 01:05 PM   #383
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Hey there,

I'm a first year Life Science student, and I would like some suggestions for choosing my electives. For my required courses I'll be taking:
  • BIOLOGY 1A03
  • BIOLOGY 1M03
  • PHYCH 1X03
  • PSYCH 1XX3
  • CHEM 1A03
  • CHEM 1AA3
  • PHYSICS 1L03
  • MATH 1LS3
Now I need to choose my two electives. In high school , my strongest area was usually biology, so I was thinking whether I should take Kinesiology. But I'm afraid that it'll be too much work considering I'm already taking fairly 'heavy' courses. What would be some easy courses to take?
For me Econ 1B03 easy, so was Physics 1B03 and Math 1A03. English 1AA3 is pretty easy (taking it right now).
Old 07-20-2010 at 05:51 PM   #384
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Okay, so I've narrowed down my choices for my Electives. I'd just like some sort of confirmation that this is a sensible choice. Like I've said, I'm a first year Life Science student who is trying to decide on my electives, and my required courses are:
  • BIOLOGY 1A03
  • BIOLOGY 1M03
  • PHYCH 1X03
  • PSYCH 1XX3
  • CHEM 1A03
  • CHEM 1AA3
  • PHYSICS 1L03
  • MATH 1LS3
I'm a strong Biology student, good at understanding concepts (not so much at memorizing). I enjoy English, and I love discussing language, but I hate studying texts and writing essays (although I'm good at it). I'm also pretty good at Physics and Math, but I don't enjoy it as much because I don't think I connect with it as strongly. I also enjoy technological stuff (mostly).

So, I think I've narrowed it down to:
  • COMP SCI 1TA3
  • KINESIOL 1Y03*
  • HTH SCI 1G03 *
  • LINGUIST 1A03*

I would like to do something I enjoy, yet something that isn't much work so it will allow me to focus on the required courses. I'm thinking two out of the three starred courses will be best. Any advice?
Old 07-20-2010 at 10:16 PM   #385
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
  • COMP SCI 1TA3
  • KINESIOL 1Y03*
  • HTH SCI 1G03 *
  • LINGUIST 1A03*
I would like to do something I enjoy, yet something that isn't much work so it will allow me to focus on the required courses. I'm thinking two out of the three starred courses will be best. Any advice?
We seem to have similar strengths and I was also in Life Sci last year. I would definitely recommend Linguistics 1A03 (that and 1AA3 were my 2 first-year electives). The workload is light, the material is interesting and pretty easy, the prof is great, and it's not hard to get a great mark in the course. I hear that a&p is a good course as well, but a lot of work. Since I didn't take a&p, I can't vouch for it, but I definitely think taking linguistics would be a good choice.
Old 07-20-2010 at 10:35 PM   #386
shay2014

Liked: 4 Times

HAS ANYONE TAKEN thtre&flm 1T03? I don't think the film analysis classes is available for first year students anymore and would really like more information about this course.
Old 07-28-2010 at 10:24 PM   #387
FaizaS

What is the course code for this gemstones course?
Old 07-29-2010 at 09:07 AM   #388
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaizaS View Post
What is the course code for this gemstones course?
You can't take Gemstones if you're in first year.
Old 07-29-2010 at 09:56 AM   #389
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

about music 1a03/1aa3...i took 1aa3 and found it rather easy, however ive been playing in youth orchestra throughout high school...i recommend you dont take it unless you are already familiar with music and music terminology; despite what the course description says you will find the material hard to understand if you dont know half of the terms lol...basically the course is hard if you dont know anything about music, so if you dont play an instrument or at least are legitimately interested in music history its probably a bad idea to take this course.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:05 AM   #390
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

• COMP SCI 1TA3
  • KINESIOL 1Y03*
  • HTH SCI 1G03 *
  • LINGUIST 1A03*
What are the asterisks for?
I took Kin 1Y03/1YY3 in first year, and I loved them! I'm pretty bad at anything memorization-based, but since there are weekly 20min tests (these are non-cumulative) I found it was pretty easy to keep up, and there usually wasn't THAT much memorizing per test anyways. It's the type of biology that I love, so I really enjoyed it. Also, some of the labs are pretty cool! Blood and urine testing, cow eye dissection, pig brain dissection, and some cadavers in first term I think. Second term had a pig heart & lung dissection, fresh from the slaughterhouse, which was really interesting because it hadn't really been tampered with with all the preservatives your samples are normally exposed to. There's also quite a bit more cadavers second term. I think they were great electives because they required very very minimal work during the school year, allowing me to focus on other courses. Just the short test every Friday, and a bunch of people in my res would often make dinner and watch Grey's Anatomy while studying, so even that wasn't too bad