MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Econ 1bb3, Hlth Age 1bb3, Linguist 1a03 waldo92 Academics 4 09-17-2010 10:42 PM
Where what and when - econ 1bb3 OceanSpray Academics 6 02-06-2010 12:28 AM
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM

Econ 1BB3

Old 06-15-2008 at 11:38 AM   #16
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Econ 1BB3
Econ 1BB3 is all about Macroeconomics, unlike Econ 1B03, which is about Microeconomics. It is recommended that you take 1B03 first then 1BB3, but people did the opposite anyways.

Macroeconomics, according to Dictionary.com is:
The branch of economics dealing with...

all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.

likes this.
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:02 PM   #15
bellaaa

Liked: Liked 2 Times
i took both 1BB3 and 1B03 in 2nd semester..would that be do able?
btw i love econ its by far my favee subject ..but will i be gettin confused between the two or anything?
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:45 PM   #16
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaaa View Post
i took both 1BB3 and 1B03 in 2nd semester..would that be do able?
btw i love econ its by far my favee subject ..but will i be gettin confused between the two or anything?
You should be fine. The material in both classes is nearly identical up until the first midterm, so really, you'll technically be studying for both classes while just studying for one of the classes. On top of that, if you really enjoy econ (which it seems you do), I'm sure you'll do really well.

bellaaa says thanks to PTGregD for this post.

7upp likes this.
Old 07-08-2009 at 01:03 PM   #17
Fawkes

Liked: 0 Times
how is the course load for econ 1B03 and 1BB3? do you have to spend a lot of time outside of class for, say, assignments and what not?
Old 07-08-2009 at 02:26 PM   #18
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
how is the course load for econ 1B03 and 1BB3? do you have to spend a lot of time outside of class for, say, assignments and what not?
I would describe the course load to be very light. You have weekly quizzes that you do online, that don't take more than about 30 mins-1 hour on average.

Other than that, you just need to study for tests.
Old 07-08-2009 at 08:29 PM   #19
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
...I took both econs in the same term during first year which I would REALLY advise against. You'll have to suffer through two tests on Saturday....
I'm thinking of doing ECON 1bb3 along with the 1b03; I just hope that this year the test days would be different.
Old 07-08-2009 at 10:30 PM   #20
Jake

Liked: 107 Times
Are ECON 1BB3 AND 1B03 easy 7s?
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:59 AM   #21
Daman K

I took Econ 1BB3 1st term and Econ 1B03 2nd term, is that ok?
Old 08-20-2009 at 12:00 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman K View Post
I took Econ 1BB3 1st term and Econ 1B03 2nd term, is that ok?
Yeah, that's fine.
Old 08-20-2009 at 12:13 PM   #23
Daman K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, that's fine.
Relief lol, did you take Economics?
Old 08-20-2009 at 12:24 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman K View Post
Relief lol, did you take Economics?
Nope, I'm taking 1B03 this year. In the course outlines it says they can be taken in any order. Also, the courses are the same up to the first midterm and then diverge. One doesn't follow the other, they cover different material.
Old 08-20-2009 at 01:43 PM   #25
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time
take macroecon with Dr.Khan! he is the best. He does everything in his power to help students get their highest possible mark!
Old 08-21-2009 at 08:53 AM   #26
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
I had O' Shaughnessyfor this course. I had no prior business/economics experience (other than getting a 70 in grade 9 business ) before taking 1B03/1BB3 and I still aced both. I found the course pretty easy, there's really not a lot of work and most of the MC questions test straight definitions.

There's online assignments and experiments you have to do. You don't really have to do the experiments, just answer pre and post assignments based on economic theory, I tried to get people in the experiments to collude in order to skew the results, but people didn't play along. Maybe you'll have better luck if you're so inclined. You don't really have to go to class either and there's podcats if you miss something; just read the textbook before the midterms and you'll probably get a 12. I found this course pretty interesting too,
Old 08-21-2009 at 09:28 AM   #27
Daman K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Nope, I'm taking 1B03 this year. In the course outlines it says they can be taken in any order. Also, the courses are the same up to the first midterm and then diverge. One doesn't follow the other, they cover different material.
So they're independent courses from each other and it doesn't matter what order you take them, k good. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:50 PM   #28
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times
I have O'Shaughnessy. What's a good way to study for this course? I mean, should I read the textbook AND take notes? and then do aplia assignments on top of that? or what....
Old 12-28-2009 at 10:43 PM   #29
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times
^^^^ LOL

I took this course term 1 of winter 2009 and I took it before econ 1b03.

Basics
There are 3 lectures per week, that's it. No tutorials, no labs. Great stuff!
The course is all knowledge based, all questions asked are right from the textbook/lectures, you don't have to apply your knowledge or anything, very straightforward. That being said, this does heavy really on your ability to memorize and work logically for the curves for chapter 8+ otherwise you will have trouble. IF YOU CAN'T MEMORIZE, THIS IS NOT THE COURSE FOR YOU.

Classroom Experience
During class, you start off with simple housekeeping issues and then the professor begins the lecture. It is all power point slides, and you have to write it down because she doesn't give them out but it's okay because she gives you plenty of time to write it down.

Sometimes she will ask a question, either housekeeping related or content material and so, if you want, you can answer using iclicker. It's not mandatory and I personally was to lazy to participate, although you might want to get your voice in when talking about things such as test dates etc.

I had the professor's c02 class (there were only 2 cores) and we would often get done 10-15 minutes earlier than her morning class, so that was nice, just stating in case anyone wants some extra few minutes.

Mark Breakdown
Math test 5%
Aplia assignments 15%
Midterm 1 20%
Midterm 2 20%
Exam 40%

The highest midterm ends up being worth 25% and the lowest is worth 15%.

This is how the break down was supposed to be, however, for us it was messed up because of the TA strike, we didn't have midterm 2 and so our marks go distributed elsewhere and our exam was worth slightly more.

Aplia
There is an online program ( I think that's what it is) called Aplia. You basically do the assignments on it, and this course doesn't show up on elm, instead you check Aplia. You have to pay $70 for it unfortunately, however, it supplies you with an online version of the textbook so you don't have to get that separately. I am not someone who enjoys e-books and staring for a long time at the computer screen, however, I decided to save money and not buy the textbook and I did just fine reading it off the computer. You can take breaks if you have issues or just buy the book and then sell it off later. So Aplia is also where you can have class forums, marks posted and where the teacher will post podcasts.

Assignments
These are on Aplia and are really easy. At first I was nervous about them and considering getting together with others to do them, however, you will soon find that they are reallly easy and you don't need anyone's help (although you could if you need it). There are about 13 or so of these, and I think 3 of them are practice so they don't count, while the others are marked. They will not take too long, perhaps 30 minutes-1 hour. There is no reason why you can't get over 90% in each assignment. If you get a question wrong, the program tells you the right answer and explains it and you have 2 more tries (although the professor takes average of your 3 tries so you wanna do better in the last 2 tries). I think on average you get about 1 or 2 of these per week, usually due at 11 pm on wednesday and friday I think. I am in Science program, so what I really enjoyed was simply reading the material and doing the assignments and getting them over with 2 weeks ahead of their actual due date. I always kept ahead so that I can then focus on other courses and should I fall behind, I would simply be back in pace with the rest of the class.

Experiments

These experiments are done on Aplia. So typically on a friday, you don't show up to class but instead log on to Aplia to do the experiment. It is really easy, more like playing a game where you simple try to earn the most money. You don't get marked on it or anything, simple show up and play along! You will usually get done early in maybe 30-40 minutes. Prior to and after however, you have to do mini assignment on aplia, it's really easy. You just read and answer questions, will take you make 10 - 20 minutes. Not hard at all!

Math test
This is also just like an assignment on Aplia, again very easy. It was about knowing how to read a graph, how to find fractions and percentages, area of shapes like a triangle, finding the slope, finding equations with one variable or with 2. Basically like grade 10 math, you should be able to ace this no problem or collaborate with someone if you need help. Again if you get it wrong the program helps you out, you get 2 more tries, and your average of the 3 is taken.

Video Podcasts

The professor puts up podcasts, it basically the same thing as her lecture minus the parts where students ask her questions and she asks students questions. They are a lot shorter than her core lectures, however, the disadvantage is that they don't get put up until about almost a week later. I missed some of her classes and so having to wait that long for the podcast was a looong time for me, but you can feel confidant that you didn't miss anything important in class when viewing the podcasts.

Textbook
I really liked the textbook. Thought it was clear and concise, used nice examples, very helpful. At the end it summarized key words, concepts and it had questions for you to try. I never really did any of them, just looked over them before the exam, you can live without them. The lecture was a summarized version of the textbook, I would recommend that you read and take notes on the textbook as it said everything in detail enough for you to get it the first time.

Midterms (oone: chapters 1-6 two:chapters 7-11)
Multiple choice with 3 short answers and one bonus question. The MC questions were very simple, some questions were jokes really. The short answers were also simple, sometimes raging from simple math problem like solving equation with 2 variables to a simple definition question. We didn't do midterm 2 but it is harder than midterm 1, apparently. The professor will give you a previous midterm test so that you are familiar with the questioning style and format. Furthermore, the class before the midterm will be spend on reviewing the material and you can ask any questions that you may have. 2 hours long.

Exam (only chapters 7-15)
Exam was the same style as the midterms with 75 MC and six multiple choice. Know the material and you will do fine. Again, professor gave a few MC and all the short answer questions from last year to help us out. I found the short answer questions that she gave to be really hard and I was really worried but the short answers on the exam were much much easier! Typical definitions and know your graph type of short answers. 3 hours long.

Content
It's all supply and demand really. The content is logical and not too hard to follow. The chapters near the end get slightly tricky because there are too many variables that can cause shifts in the curves but I thought it was fine. You don't have to know anything about economics prior to taking this (like me) but I would say, have an interest, otherwise you will find reading the textbook tedious and a pain. I myself, loved the content, highly interesting stuff!

Professor
O'Shaughnessy ( hope I spelled that right) was the professor. She is amazing! She is really considerate, like I said, our mark breakdown was messed up because of the strike but she redistributed it to be REALLY REALLY FAIR! I haven't personally gone up to ask her questions, but she seems approachable and just all around nice gal.

12able?
Yes, if you read the book, go to lectures, understand material and can memorize easily and understand the graphs. It will require some effort if you are in demanding programs such as science or engineering but definitely an 11 without panic, I would say.

amitoj, k.shobi, Sandra Shan all say thanks to Sultan for this post.

karen1o3o, sana1504 like this.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search