MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Is it possible to take 33 units (for non-engineering students) ever? shreya s. Academics 8 04-27-2010 09:03 AM
Attention all Engineering Students adrian General Discussion 24 03-08-2010 08:56 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM

Engineering Students

Old 08-25-2009 at 12:40 PM   #61
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

By the end of the last lab, my chem TA was giving out free marks if you asked. Pure Awesomeness.

Old 08-25-2009 at 12:58 PM   #62
blahzay

Liked: 6 Times

What tips could you give to a person wanting to get As in all the courses?

How many hours of sleep were you guys getting in first year?
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:27 PM   #63
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

You can't really give tips on how to get an "A" (which would be a 10 and above), because it's different for each person. There are students that really don't need as much effort in order to get these kind of grades, and then there are those who put a lot of studying and time just to scrape by.

Just know that you'll have to put at least that much more effort than what you might have done for highschool. Whether that's paying attention in class and trying to understand the concepts (not just listening and letting the info go in one ear and out the other), studying from the texts or going to tutorials/help sessions.

As such; worry about it later. Get a taste of engineering, and make your own judgment. As well, don't be killing yourself if you were used to getting A's in highschool, only to strike a grade level below in university. Most people drop dramatically because of the leap in learning methods between the two. Highschool really babies a person, and I'll leave it with that.

And lastly; sleep? It depends on what you do with your own time. Consider also that outside of the schooling, you do have a social life at mcmaster too and that can be a hefty pull on your schedule (and with engineering being as it is, you'll soon realize how tight that schedule is!)
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:53 PM   #64
Bobby66
was offline, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
What tips could you give to a person wanting to get As in all the courses?

How many hours of sleep were you guys getting in first year?

To get 10+/12 in all courses, just manage your time well.

I was getting 10 hours of sleep, if you count skipping 8:30 lectures. Sleep at 2- wake up at 8, skip it and go back to sleep.

Old 08-25-2009 at 02:58 PM   #65
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

i was getting on the worst nights 4 hours of sleep (thats usually the nights before a big project or exam) otherwise i was generally getting 6 hours. You can catch up on sleep in class tho I found chemisty and and the engineering design courses easy to fall asleep in
Old 08-26-2009 at 10:59 AM   #66
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

can i get some recomendations for where i should buy the textbooks from.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:09 AM   #67
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Buy it from upper years.. sometimes you get textbooks that are like brand new and for cheapppp price...

Last edited by maclover : 08-26-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:03 PM   #68
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
Buy it from upper years.. sometimes you get textbooks that are like brand new and for cheapppp price...

I am selling a $275 package which includes:
1. Physics(PHYS 1D03 and 1E03) 6th edition looseleaf textbook placed in a nice big binder with 2 solution manuals
2. Materials Science Textbook( Matls 1M03) new edition
3. Eng Design(1C03) textbook new edition + Solid Edge v20 Lab help book
4. Ethics ENG 1P03 textbook + Making sense + Additional Booklet all new edition
5. Math 1ZZ5 booklet

Extra charge(optional) but worth it:
6. Eng 1D04 2008-2009 textbook(for Reference) ---- $ 20

7. Macroeconomics textbook(ECON 1BB3) without aplia ---- $35 latest editon
Please post this in the marketplace instead of the forums.
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:03 PM   #69
Bobby66
was offline, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Please post this in the marketplace instead of the forums.
Yes, what he said.

Old 08-28-2009 at 10:23 AM   #70
kirchhoff

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
Any Ideas on how to do good in the 3 circuits courses(2EI5, 2CI5,2CJ4) and math courses? Any thing to watch out for?
Yeah there are two huge things to watch out for and you will learn them in 2CI5.

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL).

You need to know both of these laws inside and out to do well in 2CI5. Every other circuit course you ever take will use these two guys pretty much endlessly. Make sure you learn them and learn them well.
Old 08-28-2009 at 10:46 AM   #71
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirchhoff View Post
Yeah there are two huge things to watch out for and you will learn them in 2CI5.

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL).

You need to know both of these laws inside and out to do well in 2CI5. Every other circuit course you ever take will use these two guys pretty much endlessly. Make sure you learn them and learn them well.
Kirchoff is everything...
LOL