Mugsi Down healthsci1 Academics 9 05-16-2010 02:54 PM
MUGSI still available? Duarch Academics 9 01-02-2009 02:18 AM

[email protected]!* You Mugsi

Old 06-11-2010 at 11:29 AM   #106
queenie

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
I've NEVER been able to get on MUGSI after it opens, even this year I was working TWO laptops at the same time and I still couldn't get into the log in. Instead of coming here to rant for hours while I go F5 crazy like I usually do I just slept til 4am and tried then and it worked perfectly and I got all the courses I wanted. Wow. It's never been so easy before.

I usually try to get in from 12:01 to about 2am then nap till 4am to try again. You usually do get in by 4am but it doesn't help when half the courses are full.

I'm just waiting for people to change their minds and drop the courses I want.
Old 06-11-2010 at 11:56 AM   #107
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
You know I kind of find it strange all my health science friends get most of the courses they want like 9/10.
Do Health Science kids go first? That's probably why.

But like, if you need courses for professional school but not your program, can you even ask for open seats or?
Old 06-11-2010 at 12:05 PM   #108
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I don't get why science picks last all the time... its got the most students. Wouldn't it make more sense to put it, humanities and socsci near the top of the list?

Oh, wait, SOLAR would overload.
Old 06-11-2010 at 12:25 PM   #109
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Took me about 2 hours... better than usual.
Old 06-11-2010 at 12:27 PM   #110
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Do Health Science kids go first? That's probably why.

But like, if you need courses for professional school but not your program, can you even ask for open seats or?

even if they get first pick... i was under the impression that only a certain number of seats were open to each faculty/year for courses that are open to students from more than one faculty? I could be wrong though... I only thought that would be the only way to make things fair..

and i can't get into 3 bio courses I wanted... :(
Old 06-11-2010 at 12:28 PM   #111
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
even if they get first pick... i was under the impression that only a certain number of seats were open to each faculty/year? I could be wrong though... I only thought that would be the only way to make things fair..

and i can't get into 3 bio courses I wanted... :(

I doubt that.... look at who's in Gemstones and Nat Disasters.
Old 06-11-2010 at 01:53 PM   #112
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

wow....EVEN MY BACK UP OPTIONS ARE TAKEN!!! F7CK THIS SCHOOL.

Cassanova likes this.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:26 PM   #113
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Hey All,

The Concerns regarding MUGSI have been relayed to the McMaster CIO(John Kierney) In detail by myself and Vishal Tiwari(Old MSU President) earlier this year. UTS has hired an outside consulting company to analyze our IT & Registration systems and their report will be released later on in the summer. In the last meeting myself & Mary Koziol(New MSU President) had with him he informed us that he "wants" to implement the improvements to MUGSI and roll out an ambitious multi year improvement program.

However the biggest hitch might be the costs, they will easily go above $10-20 Million and with the McMaster Deficit the CIO is trying to get hold of that funding. Once he gets funding starting September he can start the transition towards an overhaul.

In other words the SOLAR issue requires highly specialized and expensive form of labour because of its sensitive nature and more importantly expensive hardware set up and its not an easy thing to fix because of a number of reasons. Alot of it comes down to the fact that it is directly linked to the student records system and henceforth is highly sensitive.

If I manage to get the report from the CIO I will publish it on MacInsiders if I have the permission!

But in terms of the courses being full I have a feeling alot of the time it has to do with the intricate course permissions that the Registrars office and faculty offices in terms of seat permissions and quotas, I vaguely recall that from my meeting with someone from Registrars office last year.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-11-2010 at 02:42 PM   #114
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Hey All,

The Concerns regarding MUGSI have been relayed to the McMaster CIO(John Kierney) In detail by myself and Vishal Tiwari(Old MSU President) earlier this year. UTS has hired an outside consulting company to analyze our IT & Registration systems and their report will be released later on in the summer. In the last meeting myself & Mary Koziol(New MSU President) had with him he informed us that he "wants" to implement the improvements to MUGSI and roll out an ambitious multi year improvement program.

However the biggest hitch might be the costs, they will easily go above $10-20 Million and with the McMaster Deficit the CIO is trying to get hold of that funding. Once he gets funding starting September he can start the transition towards an overhaul.

In other words the SOLAR issue requires highly specialized and expensive form of labour because of its sensitive nature and more importantly expensive hardware set up and its not an easy thing to fix because of a number of reasons. Alot of it comes down to the fact that it is directly linked to the student records system and henceforth is highly sensitive.

If I manage to get the report from the CIO I will publish it on MacInsiders if I have the permission!

But in terms of the courses being full I have a feeling alot of the time it has to do with the intricate course permissions that the Registrars office and faculty offices in terms of seat permissions and quotas, I vaguely recall that from my meeting with someone from Registrars office last year.

So in otherwords....give up our money or give up hope. Glad to see no solution will come within our lifespan here at mcmaster.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:49 PM   #115
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

I have these 2 classes I want to take but they are conflict but SOLAR doesn't show this... :s
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:52 PM   #116
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
I have these 2 classes I want to take but they are conflict but SOLAR doesn't show this... :s
Ya, SOLAR doesn't tell you that you have a conflict until timetables are released.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:54 PM   #117
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya, SOLAR doesn't tell you that you have a conflict until timetables are released.
Really? Because then I tried to pick classes that I knew for sure would show up as a conflict and it did =/
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:56 PM   #118
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Hey All,

I don't think SOLAR or MUGSI require a hardware overhaul. The real problem is how the system is setup.

We should be doing what other schools do, which is having a lottery as to when students can register. That way only a handful of students would be allowed on at a time, rather than a constant flood we have now.

I also really believe that waiting lists should be implemented. I bet 95% of the traffic is from people checking over and over again if some course they want has available seats.

It's ridiculously stupid to have a "first come first serve" rule with courses while having the system open to massive quantities of students.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-11-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Willmountain likes this.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:57 PM   #119
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
Really? Because then I tried to pick classes that I knew for sure would show up as a conflict and it did =/
Well, if they conflict in terms of time, then it won't show up until timetables are released. If they conflict in terms of being anti-requisites of one another, then SOLAR will tell you immediately.
Old 06-11-2010 at 05:00 PM   #120
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't think SOLAR or MUGSI require a hardware overhaul. The real problem is how the system is setup.

We should be doing what other schools do, which is having a lottery as to when students can register. That way only a handful of students would be allowed on at a time, rather than a constant flood we have now.

I also really believe that waiting lists should be implemented. I bet 95% of the traffic is from people checking over and over again if some course they want has available seats.

It's ridiculously stupid to have a "first come first serve" rule with courses while having the system open to massive quantities of students.
Yeah, a waiting list should definitively be implemented but because the registration is setup the way it is, it would be really unfair for those picking last. A lottery would be best but there are also a lot of problems with that. A lot of people would complain because it's so random. And if you base the lotteries on something like marks (I believe some schools do), then that's a completely different issue.