Mugsi Down healthsci1 Academics 9 05-16-2010 02:54 PM
MUGSI still available? Duarch Academics 9 01-02-2009 02:18 AM

[email protected]!* You Mugsi

Old 06-11-2010 at 05:02 PM   #121
kanthamd

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
Really? Because then I tried to pick classes that I knew for sure would show up as a conflict and it did =/
Same thing here, I just tried with two term 2 night classes that I knew would conflict and SOLAR said they did
Old 06-11-2010 at 05:25 PM   #122
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Like half of the courses I want to take aren't showing up on Solar, even though I have the prerequisites. Ive received no response form my complaint e-mail after two days. When I finally am able to see these courses they will probably be full. God damn you SOLAR.
Old 06-11-2010 at 05:37 PM   #123
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

after reading seven pages of rage, can't wait to get on next week =)

Last edited by etoilex3 : 06-11-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: repeated info
Old 06-11-2010 at 05:59 PM   #124
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
I can't for the rage, the anxiety, the lack of sleep. Yay! *sarcasm* haha xD
Old 06-11-2010 at 06:17 PM   #125
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I'm so excited.
I'm so scared.

I'm so scared

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-11-2010 at 06:58 PM   #126
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

It seems like this is an appropriate time for people to make their rageface comics with SOLAR and MUGSI screencaps (unless this has been done already within the last 7 pages) lol
Old 06-11-2010 at 07:01 PM   #127
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Me too! Except there are a ton of better ways to spend my time that don't involve SOLAR =/.
Old 06-11-2010 at 07:46 PM   #128
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

What they should do is limit the time you can have on MUGSI/SOLAR, or make it so that you can log onto SOLAR without having to go through MUGSI first.

People don't need the full 45 minutes (however, I understand that sometimes you do if your original choices are full and you have to hunt for other ones - in which case, Mac needs a better system of how they deal with class sizes and seats).

I would say 20 minutes at the max on SOLAR. It doesn't take a year and ten sundays to click a few things and see that it's okay.

Now, people get in, and they either forget to close their windows, forgoing the chances of other students getting in; or they just go in and they don't really know what they're doing. Does the mac website even have a step-by-step demonstration of choosing courses?
Old 06-11-2010 at 09:05 PM   #129
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
What they should do is limit the time you can have on MUGSI/SOLAR, or make it so that you can log onto SOLAR without having to go through MUGSI first.

People don't need the full 45 minutes (however, I understand that sometimes you do if your original choices are full and you have to hunt for other ones - in which case, Mac needs a better system of how they deal with class sizes and seats).

I would say 20 minutes at the max on SOLAR. It doesn't take a year and ten sundays to click a few things and see that it's okay.

Now, people get in, and they either forget to close their windows, forgoing the chances of other students getting in; or they just go in and they don't really know what they're doing. Does the mac website even have a step-by-step demonstration of choosing courses?
I can't believe I never thought of having SOLAR separate from MUGSI. I think that would be a great idea. I don't see a point in logging into MUGSI before logging into SOLAR.
Old 06-12-2010 at 07:22 PM   #130
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

If only we had some sort of assembly that represents students to relay this information to McMaster. Kind of sucks that we don't.

britb, etoilex3, lawleypop like this.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:35 PM   #131
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I got into everything on my first try the last few days. Took me longer to figure out what to take than it did to actually register.

wtf?
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:51 PM   #132
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I got into everything on my first try the last few days. Took me longer to figure out what to take than it did to actually register.

wtf?
Aha, yeah. It does take longer to figure out what courses you want to take. Selecting courses only takes a couple minutes (not counting the time it takes to get on).
Old 06-12-2010 at 11:07 PM   #133
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Hey All,

The Concerns regarding MUGSI have been relayed to the McMaster CIO(John Kierney) In detail by myself and Vishal Tiwari(Old MSU President) earlier this year. UTS has hired an outside consulting company to analyze our IT & Registration systems and their report will be released later on in the summer. In the last meeting myself & Mary Koziol(New MSU President) had with him he informed us that he "wants" to implement the improvements to MUGSI and roll out an ambitious multi year improvement program.

However the biggest hitch might be the costs, they will easily go above $10-20 Million and with the McMaster Deficit the CIO is trying to get hold of that funding. Once he gets funding starting September he can start the transition towards an overhaul.

In other words the SOLAR issue requires highly specialized and expensive form of labour because of its sensitive nature and more importantly expensive hardware set up and its not an easy thing to fix because of a number of reasons. Alot of it comes down to the fact that it is directly linked to the student records system and henceforth is highly sensitive.

If I manage to get the report from the CIO I will publish it on MacInsiders if I have the permission!

But in terms of the courses being full I have a feeling alot of the time it has to do with the intricate course permissions that the Registrars office and faculty offices in terms of seat permissions and quotas, I vaguely recall that from my meeting with someone from Registrars office last year.
10-20 Million!!! The System doesn't need a god damn overhaul. It needs improvements. Limiting the time? Increasing server bandwith or something... its just a matter of re-writing some of the code. Not having an entire new program.
Old 06-12-2010 at 11:09 PM   #134
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
10-20 Million!!! The System doesn't need a god damn overhaul. It needs improvements. Limiting the time? Increasing server bandwith or something... its just a matter of re-writing some of the code. Not having an entire new program.
Yeah... I would like to know the allocation of this money.
Old 06-12-2010 at 11:12 PM   #135
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah... I would like to know the allocation of this money.
Keep your eye out for Peter on the 17th. Wouldn't want him hopping in a new Bugatti or anything.