MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions.. Silver Residence & Housing 5 05-28-2011 12:35 PM
Questions.... Silver First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2011 03:35 PM
2 questions Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-08-2010 06:02 PM
Course Questions RyanC Academics 6 06-10-2010 10:07 AM
DC++ questions lavalampsky General Discussion 3 09-14-2009 06:11 PM

a few questions... :S

Old 08-12-2011 at 08:55 PM   #1
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

a few questions... :S
1. how's kish for materials? i couldn't really find much about him... is provatas the better prof?

2. are 8 hours of class (non-stop) too much?

3. for cores with no profs next to them on the master timetable, when will we know who the prof is? will they ever update them (especially for 2nd term)?

4. for the class eng 1EE0 (co-op), the prof is stewart, but then right below, it says farrell. does that mean both teach the class?

5. is it a good idea to modify my 2nd term schedule now? or would it be better after 1st term is over?

thanks in advance for those who answer any
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:29 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
1. how's kish for materials? i couldn't really find much about him... is provatas the better prof?

3. for cores with no profs next to them on the master timetable, when will we know who the prof is? will they ever update them (especially for 2nd term)?

4. for the class eng 1EE0 (co-op), the prof is stewart, but then right below, it says farrell. does that mean both teach the class?

5. is it a good idea to modify my 2nd term schedule now? or would it be better after 1st term is over?

thanks in advance for those who answer any
2. Yes, there's a high chance you won't be able to soak up all that information. You'll be tired, hungry. If you have labs you can make mistakes, if you have tutorials you may have presentations.

3. You'll know when you get to your first class. I don't think they update them (maybe they do for term 2 since some departments don't assign profs for second term until later). But you can always call the department and ask who's teaching what.

5. If you have time then go for it. Getting it done now means you don't have to do it later. Not to mention that if you wanted a section that's open now it might not be open later. But you might also want to change it right before term 2 as well depending on your thoughts on how term 1 went.

ricechrispy says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-12-2011 at 10:09 PM   #3
ricechrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
2. Yes, there's a high chance you won't be able to soak up all that information. You'll be tired, hungry. If you have labs you can make mistakes, if you have tutorials you may have presentations.

3. You'll know when you get to your first class. I don't think they update them (maybe they do for term 2 since some departments don't assign profs for second term until later). But you can always call the department and ask who's teaching what.

5. If you have time then go for it. Getting it done now means you don't have to do it later. Not to mention that if you wanted a section that's open now it might not be open later. But you might also want to change it right before term 2 as well depending on your thoughts on how term 1 went.
Ah ok, thanks

what about #4. For ex. on the timetable, it shows this:
C06 Tu 12:30 14:20 2 JHE/A101 STEWART, L
FARRELL, J
C07 Mo 14:30 16:20 2 ETB/235 STEWART, L
FARRELL, J

does that mean they both teach the course? perhaps they alternate?

EDIT: oops, Farrell is supposed to be directly under Stewart...can't get it like that for some reason :/
Old 08-12-2011 at 10:18 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks

what about #4. For ex. on the timetable, it shows this:
C06 Tu 12:30 14:20 2 JHE/A101 STEWART, L
FARRELL, J
C07 Mo 14:30 16:20 2 ETB/235 STEWART, L
FARRELL, J

does that mean they both teach the course? perhaps they alternate?

EDIT: oops, Farrell is supposed to be directly under Stewart...can't get it like that for some reason :/

Yup, they both teach the course when listed like that.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

ricechrispy says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-13-2011 at 02:20 PM   #5
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:

1) Kish is good, well tbh, I've heard that all the MATLS profs are good (Kish, Provatas, Zurob). Pretty much the whole first-year MATLS faculty is awesome; they all love materials and they all want you to be interested in what they're doing. I don't know about his teaching, but Kish is very enthusiastic, and LOVES corrosion (not that you do any of that in first year, but he seems to talk about it all the time...)

2) Generally yes, but it also depends a lot on what 8 hours you've got in a row. For eng, since you have so many hours of class a week, you often end up with a heavier day, which sucks but is also great because you knock out that many hours of class from the other days in the week. Some classes are very skippable even though they're explicitly put on your timetable (i.e. MATH 1ZA3 tutorial, ECON lectures, etc.) and other things (i.e. ENG 1C03/1D04 labs, 1C03 tutorials) often end early. So it's difficult to figure out for yourself until you actually go do them, but often your 8 hours of class won't necessarily end up to be 8 hours of class (in a row).

ricechrispy says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-13-2011 at 04:07 PM   #6
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Ill answer 2 and 5
2. it really is up to you, your in 1st year so you probably don't know how you'll adapt to uni. u might adapt to it great and hrs might work fine, but i dont think you want to take chances in your first semester... so maybe ease off if it dosent ruin the rest of your week

5.in my experience, you might as well ignore 2nd sem until after midterms

Source: I'm a graduate student, ive gone through the whole mess. If your interested in grad/med school for the future and you have questions, visit my blog insideminds.tk and leave me a comment or pm me on this forum. good luck

ricechrispy says thanks to InsideMINDS for this post.
Old 08-26-2011 at 03:15 PM   #7
ngsv

Liked: 0 Times

5. I recommend settling your schedule for 2nd term now. From my experience i didn't have time at all during the whole 1st term to touch solar. In the end, i was stuck with the schedule they gave me for 2nd term, cos lots of things were full by the time the christmas hols came

ricechrispy says thanks to ngsv for this post.
Old 08-26-2011 at 03:33 PM   #8
ricechrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsv View Post
5. I recommend settling your schedule for 2nd term now. From my experience i didn't have time at all during the whole 1st term to touch solar. In the end, i was stuck with the schedule they gave me for 2nd term, cos lots of things were full by the time the christmas hols came
yeah i made it already...it looks really nice
however, didn't really get the best teachers and my friday isn't as nice as i wanted (i wanted no afternoon classes )

thanks
Old 08-26-2011 at 05:04 PM   #9
muons

Liked: 84 Times

I had Kish and I did not like him. Dr. Zurob is much better and Dr. Kish is always behind in his classes.
If you can fit Zurob in definitely try to.

Good luck with it

ricechrispy says thanks to muons for this post.
Old 08-26-2011 at 05:21 PM   #10
MisterTK

Liked: 3 Times

I had Kish but I would suggest Provotas or Zurob anytime because Provotas knows how to explain the concepts and how to make the learning process easy to absorb - even for MATLS where there's alot of reading required. Also, I heard Zurob is quite friendly and can teach descently. In my opinion, I found it difficult to learn from Kish because he was... too happy ? so it made it difficult to follow along. I went to one of Provotas' lectures and he was just zipping through the material and surprisingly everything he said would stick with you; making a lot of sense.

ricechrispy says thanks to MisterTK for this post.