MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classes Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-08-2010 07:19 PM
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
First Aid Classes VoyozooT General Discussion 2 07-31-2009 11:20 PM
First Day of Classes Holly Academics 6 08-27-2008 10:23 PM
What do you do in between classes? MacEng General Discussion 12 08-27-2008 10:23 PM

first day of classes

Old 08-06-2010 at 04:42 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

first day of classes
Hi. I wanted to know how mac helps the first year students find their classes on the first of day of university. Also, is there a way in which I could book a tour just before september where I can see where my classes will be for first semester or is there a whole system made by the university that helps with this? Thank you.
Old 08-06-2010 at 04:53 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
Hi. I wanted to know how mac helps the first year students find their classes on the first of day of university. Also, is there a way in which I could book a tour just before september where I can see where my classes will be for first semester or is there a whole system made by the university that helps with this? Thank you.
During Welcome Week, you'll go to various activities with your res (if you're on res) and your faculty, and they tend to point out certain key buildings. There are also maps (full-sized are available online, and you can get a pocket map from Compass in the Student Centre I believe).

I went to all of the days they had prior to first year (the one in October, [email protected], Welcome Day) so from that I already had a pretty good idea where most buildings were. On Welcome Day, I spent some time wandering around figuring out where all my classes would be.

I'm not sure if they have tours available in August, but you can go on your own anytime, bring your map & timetable, and find all the classes! If not, you'll have free time during WW to wander around and find stuff.

I got lost trying to find a class on the first day of high school, but didn't have any problems like that in university. In first year, most of your classes are in the bigger lecture halls so they're really easy to find once you've actually located the building.

luna likes this.
Old 08-06-2010 at 04:53 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
There is no system. All you need to know is the building and the room number and you can find your class. Pick up a campus map at COMPASS in the Student Centre, it'll help. You can book a tour with the university if you wish. There is also a virtual tour.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /tours...rtualtour.html
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /tours.html

They also usually have signs that point you in the direction of the class for first years when you enter a building.

luna says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-06-2010
x_hikari
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-06-2010 at 10:57 PM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

took me FOREVER to find ABB lol.. even with a map :(.. but dont worry tho.. its not that hard and if u ask ppl are always willing to point u in the direction u need to go
Old 08-06-2010 at 10:58 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Look around campus a couple days before classes, and carry a map the first week. Will come in handy, for sure
Old 08-06-2010 at 11:00 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
took me FOREVER to find ABB lol.. even with a map :(.. but dont worry tho.. its not that hard and if u ask ppl are always willing to point u in the direction u need to go
LOL yes! That was definitely the hardest building for me to find too The sign is so far out of the way!
Old 08-06-2010 at 11:05 PM   #7
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
LOL yes! That was definitely the hardest building for me to find too The sign is so far out of the way!
me too lol. I got there 40 min after class started and spent the last 10 minutes wondering if I should go in or not.
Old 08-07-2010 at 01:49 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I actually thought that ABB was that tiny section of the building for a while... they should really invest in another sign near the motorcycle parking lot.
Old 08-07-2010 at 02:19 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Just ask random people along the way. You should learn everything fast anyways.

Labs/tutorials are the harder places to find because some are in obscure holes in the wall in various buildings.
Old 08-07-2010 at 02:31 PM   #10
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

do most people go to classes on the first day? and are there still WW activities going on after class or is it done until the weekend
Old 08-07-2010 at 02:35 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff24 View Post
do most people go to classes on the first day? and are there still WW activities going on after class or is it done until the weekend
depends on the faculty...i hear a lot of the engineers skipped the first class my classes (in science) were pretty full, though. I find classes tend to be more full at the beginning, and slowly become emptier as people stop going to class.

There are still WW activities going on after class, but it's not as much as in the days before classes start. I distinctly remember our reps making us cupcakes on the first day of classes, and giving them to us as we got back to res There were also evening activities too, I believe.
Old 08-07-2010 at 03:36 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Most of the time the first class for first years is just an introductory class. They'll give you the course outline, go over it with you, talk about academic integrity and review things you should already know. It's up to you if you want to go, it generally doesn't take up the full 50 minutes.
Old 08-08-2010 at 03:25 AM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
one day before classes, go to the library and get the pocket map.
find the classes the same day so that next day you're there on time. Next term, you won't even have to do that :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Most of the time the first class for first years is just an introductory class. They'll give you the course outline, go over it with you, talk about academic integrity and review things you should already know. It's up to you if you want to go, it generally doesn't take up the full 50 minutes.
Engg math classes start right from the first day. So did Physics 1B03 and 1BA3 when I took them.
Old 08-08-2010 at 05:42 AM   #14
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

i always go find a classroom before I actually need to be at the room. People are always looking for places. In my summer class for an exam we had it in MDCL and there were messages all over elm from senior students who did not know where the building was. I thought that as the one building everyone new. At least 10 people still showed up late cause they didn't check it out before hand.

If you don't look before hand you don't want to be that person who walks in the front door of lecture 15 mins late on the first day. One prof I had last year actually stopped lecture and thanked this one guy for showing up then used him as an example of how not to disrupt his class asking his name and everything. Several times throughout the year he called out to make sure this guy was there before so he could start class. It was funny as hell for the rest of us but I sure wouldn't have wanted to be the one he picked on.