MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
Cross cultural courses? Need help with electives. Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-03-2010 05:25 PM
How do I know what courses and electives to take? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-26-2010 03:15 PM
Few electives to replace some courses mcmastergcdb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 12-30-2009 09:59 PM
second year electives shikha Academics 84 07-01-2009 10:44 AM

First Year Courses and Electives

Old 06-08-2011 at 05:08 PM   #1
shirleyc

Liked: 1 Time

First Year Courses and Electives
Hello there!

I'm starting to select courses for first year Life Sciences, and I need some advice on what electives to take that might boost my average up a little. My course load is already heavy. I've already read many 'bird course' threads.

I have slight interest in business, psychology, and music. However I dislike writing essays...

How is Econ 1B03 as an elective? I've never took business/computer courses before.
I plan to pursue a music minor; I already have the full grade 8 practical examinations with theory done as well as grade 10 practical but without the history/harmony etc. Is it possible to skip the History classes and go to music cognition or other course titles? The music credit would be my 2nd elective...

If anyone else has any ideas, please post here!
Thank you!
Old 06-08-2011 at 06:10 PM   #2
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

you don't need RCM anything to take the music history classes at mac (or at least the first year ones). The ensemble courses are easy to do well in and have low workload if you wanted to do that. Music cognition, I believe that those are all second year and up classes but don't require any first year music prereqs, just grade 2 rudiments or something like that.
Old 06-08-2011 at 06:39 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyc View Post
Hello there!

I'm starting to select courses for first year Life Sciences, and I need some advice on what electives to take that might boost my average up a little. My course load is already heavy. I've already read many 'bird course' threads.

I have slight interest in business, psychology, and music. However I dislike writing essays...

How is Econ 1B03 as an elective? I've never took business/computer courses before.
I plan to pursue a music minor; I already have the full grade 8 practical examinations with theory done as well as grade 10 practical but without the history/harmony etc. Is it possible to skip the History classes and go to music cognition or other course titles? The music credit would be my 2nd elective...

If anyone else has any ideas, please post here!
Thank you!
Well for Psych, you pretty much have to take both Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 (depending on the second year program you're interested in), although most people take both in order to be able to take upper year Psych courses without restrictions. As for business, look into Econ 1B03 and 1BB3. There are course reviews of both psych and econ courses here:
Econs-http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php/1st-year-course-reviews-104.html?f=104&ltr=E& sort=&order=
Psychs-http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php/1st-year-course-reviews-104p2.html?ltr=P&f=10 4&page=2
Old 06-08-2011 at 06:44 PM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

As cool as it sounds, there's no program called "Biomedical Science".

I would take ECON 1B03 and even 1BB3. Both require no knowledge of economics and can be fairly interesting (can also be ridiculously boring).