MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring to Psychology in second year. apple2875 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-31-2014 07:17 PM
Second year psychology courses Angoose Academics 10 01-12-2012 11:39 PM
First year psychology courses? Oilenroc Academics 4 08-11-2011 06:38 PM
Second year courses. (psychology) Failboat Academics 2 04-02-2010 01:57 PM
First Year Psychology Tudders First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-13-2009 10:36 PM

First Year Psychology Course

Old 06-21-2015 at 12:55 PM   #1
alexandria.a

Liked: 0 Times

First Year Psychology Course
Hey guys, I'm going into first year Life Sciences and plan on entering Molecular Biology & Genetics in Level II. I was wondering which psychology course would be a better choice for me: Psych 1X03 or Psych 1F03? Any reviews on both of these courses would be great! Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 06-21-2015 at 03:51 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

It actually doesn't matter which psych to take if you're going into molecular bio. Psych 1F03 is basically Psych 1X03 except in 1F03 you don't have tutorials where you do practice questions and iclickers and get participation marks. It's a lot of material in my opinion. Although they try to make it more application based, you still need to memorize all the concepts before you can start applying it. There are weekly quizzes worth 30% of your final grade. There is a quiz bank you can take a look at here: https://sites.google.com/site/maceng....8.-PSYCH-1X03 Your exam is worth 60% of your final grade which is why you need to study. There are psych studies/experiments that you can take part in to lower the weighting of ur exam to 55%.
Old 06-21-2015 at 03:53 PM   #3
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Also since Psych 1F03 is completely online, it's easy to fall behind and not do the work until the day before your quiz but you have more freedom and can work at your own pace. Whereas with 1X03, since you have weekly tutorials, it forces you to go over the material and understand it before going to class so that you can answer iclickers correctly and answer the TA's questions to get participation marks
Old 06-21-2015 at 04:27 PM   #4
gabriwab

If you're scientifically inclined, you will probably prefer 1XX3 to both of those!
Old 06-22-2015 at 12:25 PM   #5
MegamanZero

Liked: 2 Times

They are the exact same course, I preferred 1F03 (online rather than in class) because all you have to do is watch one module a week and do its follow up online quiz at the end of the week. If you're someone who falls behind easily, then take 1x03 as weekly tutorials will force you to stay up to date. There's also no midterms for these courses. If you prefer biology-like courses, you should look into psych 1xx3. It's more of a biology-based psych course and its not hard at all.
Old 06-22-2015 at 10:10 PM   #6
alexandria.a

Great, thanks for the help!