MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year psychology courses? Oilenroc Academics 4 08-11-2011 06:38 PM
First Year Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology Courses MTK3 Academics 11 07-03-2010 10:51 AM
First year Soc Sci- Psychology jchoi92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-03-2010 12:20 AM
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
Second year courses. (psychology) Failboat Academics 2 04-02-2010 01:57 PM

Second year psychology courses

Old 01-01-2012 at 09:24 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Second year psychology courses
Hey everyone. Just wanted to wish everyone a happy new year . I'm currently trying to plan out my courses for second year, and was looking for some sort of psychology elective. At the moment, I have psych2b03 (personality), but I'm also considering psych2f03, psych2ap3 (Abornmal), or psych2tt3. I've heard that Abnormal and Personality were really good courses, but I'm worried that there'll be a lot of readings or the testing format will be really difficult. F03 and TT3 would just be to fill up my requirements for my degree. I already have a couple of courses that involve a bunch of memorization like biochem2ee3 and genetics so I'm trying to find something that will be slightly lighter in workload. THanks for any help .
Old 01-01-2012 at 10:39 PM   #2
nessa18

Liked: 9 Times

Psych 2tt3 wasnt too bad when I took it last year. Just two midtems and an exam. It was a night class so as long as you attended all the classes you will do fine. Workload was pretty light compared to the other courses I had. I would have three midterms on a day and end up doing most of my studying for this course the day of and still did okay considering, could have done better though.
Only the graphs section of the midterms and exams were tricky. The only thing I didnt like was having to read the textbook because the prof would take some questions from the textbook that wasnt on the exam.
Old 01-01-2012 at 10:42 PM   #3
nessa18

I just noticed you mentioned psych 2f03- neuroscience. If you are looking for a lighter courseload I suggest not taking it. There is many little details to memorize for the tests and exam. There were assignmemnts every week in my opinion which were difficult. But you do learn a lot in the course.
Old 01-02-2012 at 12:09 AM   #4
Angoose
Elite Member

Ohhh I see. I was only considering psych2f03 because it was a prereq for bio3aa3 I think. Bio2a03 is another prereq for that course but I didn't take it this year :(. I guess it's down to Abnormal Psych, Personality, and Animal Behaviour :(.
Old 01-02-2012 at 01:59 AM   #5
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Ohhh I see. I was only considering psych2f03 because it was a prereq for bio3aa3 I think. Bio2a03 is another prereq for that course but I didn't take it this year :(. I guess it's down to Abnormal Psych, Personality, and Animal Behaviour :(.
Social Psych 2C03 is easy. Not sure if it's offered this semester but look into it.

I didn't really like Dr. Day's courses but a lot of people find them easy (2B03 and 2AP3).
Old 01-02-2012 at 06:29 AM   #6
Nishan Anand

Liked: 6 Times

I have heard that Psych 2AP3 (Abnormal) is very interesting but requires a lot of effort to do well. You might want to consider taking 2TT3 and/ 2C03 ( if offered).
Old 01-02-2012 at 11:40 AM   #7
spenceman91

I took 2B03. I found it similar to other psych courses I've taken - when sitting in lecture, it's interesting and easy (especially because Dr. Day's just an interesting guy and great lecturer). But when it came to the midterms and exam.. pretty tricky! Don't underestimate 'em. Do the practice questions over and over until you nail them. Oh and abnormal and child development are similar - the tests are considerably harder than most people think they'll be.

I heard 2F03 was a killer course, but if you learn a lot of cool and worthwhile stuff.

2TT3 - easy if coming from a science background. Topics include evolution, sex, learning, life histories. If you've taken/will take Bio 1M03, Bio 2F03 (ecology), or Bio 3FF3 (evolution) you will most likely know most of it already.

ikantsepll likes this.
Old 01-02-2012 at 05:01 PM   #8
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

I'd definitely recommend 2B03 and 2C03...2B03 is just a lot of memorizing and then it's easy to do well. 2C03 is a lot more application based but once you understand the testing style, it's easy too. Taking 2AP3 and 2TT3 this term so can't comment on them...yet.
Old 01-12-2012 at 07:46 PM   #9
Angoose
Elite Member

Haha, I'm in 2b03 right now and decided to stick with it. I enjoy the material and it's really interesting, but his test questions are pretty tricky I've noticed. I hope you do well in 2AP3. Heard it was even more interesting than personality, but a little more difficult.
Old 01-12-2012 at 09:45 PM   #10
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Psych 2AP3 is a great course. You learn so much interesting material, and Dr. Day is a great lecturer. However, you need to do the readings, which can be a bit long (though they are interesting) and you need to have good memorization skills. Do the practice questions! Otherwise, the workload = two midterms, so it's not a huge commitment, and what you learn is worth the excessive studying imo. I'm glad I took it.

Old 01-12-2012 at 11:39 PM   #11
Angoose
Elite Member

I find that Dr. Day is one of the most interesting lecturers I've had. Maybe it's something about his voice. Though it's an 8:30 class, I actually don't feel like skipping it..(Yet). Who knows though, I hope personality goes well.