MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology Courses MTK3 Academics 11 07-03-2010 10:51 AM
First year Soc Sci- Psychology jchoi92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-03-2010 12:20 AM
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
Second year courses. (psychology) Failboat Academics 2 04-02-2010 01:57 PM
First Year Psychology Tudders First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-13-2009 10:36 PM

First year psychology courses?

Old 08-09-2011 at 07:45 PM   #1
Oilenroc

Liked: 3 Times

First year psychology courses?
I took both 1X03 and 1XX3 courses for my first year. In term 1, I have one 1X03 core course a week. However, in term 2, I noticed I have one 1XX3 core and one tutorial a week.

My question is, why does the second course have a tutorial and not the first?

Also, what is the course load like for these psychology courses? For term 1, 1X03 has the one core lecture a week and that's it. All my other courses have multiple cores, tutorials, and some labs in a week.
Old 08-09-2011 at 07:51 PM   #2
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Both first year IntroPsych courses are taught using online web modules. You'll get multiple of these a week, which are basically interactive videos/slides with voiceovers from Dr. Joe Kim (a psych prof at Mac). They're released throughout the course, and stay accessible until the end of the course, so you can watch them as you get time (but keep on top of them, otherwise they'll pile up). The good thing about this is you can always rewind to something if you didn't understand, and rewatch the whole module for extra review if needed.

The core for 1X03 is basically a tutorial, it's just called a core. There are no actual in class "lectures" to attend for either of these courses, just the online web modules and the 1 hour "tutorials" each week.
Old 08-10-2011 at 01:21 AM   #3
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

By "core" in the 1X03, they really mean "tutorial." The lectures are online.

For 1XX3, there are online lectures. Your "core" is an extra, live lecture, and your "tutorial" is basically the same thing that you have in 1X03.
Old 08-10-2011 at 06:54 AM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

The live lectures are AWESOME, in the second term. Look forward to it!

Also, stay on top of the online modules. It's really, really easy to slip behind, and that is not fun. In my second term, I had to finish the last half of the course in a week (right before the finals) whilst attending tutorials and pretending I knew what was going on. D:

-Ish- likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 06:38 PM   #5
jayyenn

Liked: Liked 2 Times

As mentioned the Psych 1X03 has a tutorial class once per week along with the web modules. The tutorials count for participation and attendance marks as well.