MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-27-2010 at 04:00 PM   #166
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
But then next year, you wouldn't be able to bring in a new fridge; effectively wasting the money on your own fridge and being forced to rent Coldex for how many ever years
In a sense, you do "lose" a bit more because now you have a fridge you can't use, though that can also be seen as a positive
Yeah, it's super wasteful that way because now you have a fridge that you can't even use after one year.

However it might be more cost efficient? I don't know. The only thing I do know is that this is a crappy policy through and through.
Old 07-27-2010 at 04:52 PM   #167
LazyNinja

Liked: 6 Times

Well, to me the simple problem is that they're taking a service that was once optional and making it mandatory. Before, students were able to decide for themselves what worked best, which meant some rented and some purchased. Now McMaster wants to force all students to use the same option, which means that a large number will be using an option that doesn't really work for them.

Even if you don't plan on living in residence for more than a year, it still often makes sense to buy instead of rent. I only plan on living in residence for one year, but I know where I'll be living after that and I'd really like to have a small fridge available. To be honest, I think there are a surprising number of people in the same position. We'd be bringing a brand new fridge, and it would only be in a McMaster dorm room for one year after which it's no longer their problem.

Woulda made a lot more sense if they just put out a bulletin saying "all minifridges in residence have to be energy efficient, in good working order, and clean, if yours isn't we can and will send it home." I think the entire student body would've figured that was just fine, and nobody really woulda cared.

resh.jyoti likes this.
Old 07-27-2010 at 06:10 PM   #168
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

I'm telling you this rule's been breaking my balls since it was announced
Old 07-27-2010 at 07:00 PM   #169
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Energy saving is the part that pisses me off.

You guys wanna save the environment? Let me freeze my food so it doesn't become an epidemic and kill every Caspian tern in southern Ontario. Or overcharge less for double sided printing.

Anyone tried talking to them face to face? No, wait - don't do that.
Old 07-27-2010 at 07:11 PM   #170
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Energy saving is the part that pisses me off.

You guys wanna save the environment? Let me freeze my food so it doesn't become an epidemic and kill every Caspian tern in southern Ontario. Or overcharge less for double sided printing.

Anyone tried talking to them face to face? No, wait - don't do that.
I actually don't understand this.

Energy saving is actually good. There are some people that I knew who brought really old fridges, which consumed the same amount as 3 or 4 newer fridges. I think the university should check the fridges we bring to see if they are energystar or whatnot. Not force us to rent from coldex.

In the end, it really sucks I know, but if you feel you need a fridge, they aren't saying you can't have one, they are just forcing you to rent from coldex. It's a ridiculous policy, but at the end of the day, they aren't forbidding you to have a fridge. they are just forbidding you to bring your own.
Old 07-27-2010 at 07:55 PM   #171
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I mean that they use Green to justify random stuff like this (I'm convinced its about the money, being green is great on its own). A lot of big corporations do it too because its trendy and it just ticks me off. Sure, there's an energy component, maybe (but how many people bring a super old fridge? The majority are less than four years old, there can't be that much of a difference, not enough to justify forcing everyone to rent), but its just being used as an excuse for money.

They way I see it is if they were really concerned about energy, they'd change the photocopying or something. Considering how much paper printing goes on, discounting double sided (I think) would have a bigger green impact than switching out a bunch of (mostly new anyway) fridges. But that wouldn't make them money. They'd lose some of the profits.

I'm not in rez, so it doesn't actually affect me, but it does annoy me, so here I am, yapping about this and that, lol. Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. BTW, I know it looks like I'm picking on photocopying, but its an easy example to use.

Last edited by britb : 07-27-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2010 at 09:11 PM   #172
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^ 'green' is what made me desperate for a fridge... Wait, we're probably talking about different 'green' stuff here.

britb, LazyNinja like this.
Old 07-28-2010 at 12:14 PM   #173
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

so has the msu overturned this yet? : )
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:22 PM   #174
sarrah66

Liked: 22 Times

Dear McMaster students,

There has been an email account set up to gather student and parent concerns/complaints regarding the COLDEX Fridge Policy. If you have any friends, parents of friends, siblings (or you yourself) who are upset by the implementation of this policy, please urge them to write a letter expressing how they feel about this Policy, how it affects them, and anything else they feel is pertinent to the situation at hand.

Send it to: [email protected] gmail.com

Polite emails please, as this is a matter to be dealt with in a professional manner.

Thanks,

Sarrah Lal
VP Communications 2010-2011
Inter-Residence Council
Old 07-29-2010 at 06:45 PM   #175
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
But then next year, you wouldn't be able to bring in a new fridge; effectively wasting the money on your own fridge and being forced to rent Coldex for how many ever years
In a sense, you do "lose" a bit more because now you have a fridge you can't use, though that can also be seen as a positive

not really, because who knows how many students will return to residence.
I know for a fact I won't. And as for ther fridge that I bought (which cost me and my roommate 20 bucks each [hooray for craiglist]) I'll just sell it on ebay or give it to a cousin who is going to be living away for school.

Last edited by Jaff24 : 07-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2010 at 06:51 PM   #176
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff24 View Post
not really, because who knows how many students will return to residence.
I know for a fact I won't. And as for ther fridge that I bought (which cost me and my roommate 20 bucks each [hooray for craiglist]) I'll just sell it on ebay or give it to a cousin who is going to be living away for school.
Only 20% of the residences are for upper year students, the rest are for first year. so yeah, the university knows how many students will return to residence.
Old 07-29-2010 at 06:57 PM   #177
Jaff24

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Only 20% of the residences are for upper year students, the rest are for first year. so yeah, the university knows how many students will return to residence.
my point was, maybe some upper year students wont stay on residence anymore next year because of this policy. And if they do then they there are a lot of ways to sell your fridge ie. ebay, craiglist, garage sale, blah blah blah.
Old 07-31-2010 at 05:52 PM   #178
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Sarrah has started a fb group with further instructions for the Fridge policy. It can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1425933 52431104&ref=mf#!/group.php?gid=1425933 52431104

To sum up the information on the fb group, for people without fb:

Get your PARENTS to write letters, write letters to the new McMaster President, Patrick Deane ([email protected]) --is this really what he feels is the best way to get alumni donations?!

Any emails you send to the IRC will be sent in bulk to the Hamilton Spectator, to try to get as much public support as possible. Sending emails to the Sil is also a good idea!

The IRC email address for this issue is [email protected] gmail.com, however letters should be addressed to McMaster Housing & Conference Services.
Old 08-01-2010 at 06:16 PM   #179
Jaff24

ughhh, I don't think any progress will be made with Housing. IRC and MSU have done a lot, but I dont think Housing will budge on this policy.

Depressing.
Old 08-04-2010 at 05:09 PM   #180
_N/A_

For those who haven't heard yet, the policy has been postponed for a year. It seems we got them to listen that it was way too last minute to announce this. Hopefully with a whole year the IRC'll be able to do a lot more to make sure that the opinion of the students is considered before they implement this for future years.

LazyNinja, nerual like this.