MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-15-2010 at 07:24 PM   #136
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

it was posted in this thread but i think the post has been drowned out by so many other posts, here it is again:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/macfridge
Old 07-15-2010 at 08:42 PM   #137
LazyNinja

Liked: 6 Times

I've sent a PM to Chad to see if he'll edit a link to the petition into the original announcement. The number of posts in this thread shows pretty clearly that an awful lot of people care about this, but it also means the link's gonna keep getting lost. Hopefully a link in the announcement would mean almost everybody would see it.

In a side note, I know there are a whole bunch of Mac groups over at Facebook, does anybody know what the most "central" one is? A link over there would probably get seen by a lot of people who don't use MacInsiders, and the more the merrier.

SciMania says thanks to LazyNinja for this post.
Old 07-15-2010 at 08:47 PM   #138
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I think the petition is kind of focusing on the wrong issue. What it should be addressing is the fact that the university didn't mention this until after everyone signed up for residence, and therefore shouldn't be implemented until the 2011-12 school year.

It isn't that McMaster wants you to have a Coldex fridge, it's that they would rather you not have a fridge at all. I think the probable reasons behind why they're doing this are pretty valid.

syan9184 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 07-15-2010 at 08:58 PM   #139
theks

Liked: 0 Times

The fridge shit is true, but why would that stop you?

they also say you cant smoke in residence. that didnt stop me.

ive had a microwave and a toaster oven.
Old 07-15-2010 at 09:16 PM   #140
LazyNinja

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think the petition is kind of focusing on the wrong issue. What it should be addressing is the fact that the university didn't mention this until after everyone signed up for residence, and therefore shouldn't be implemented until the 2011-12 school year.

It isn't that McMaster wants you to have a Coldex fridge, it's that they would rather you not have a fridge at all. I think the probable reasons behind why they're doing this are pretty valid.

You've got a point with the first part, and that's a major thing I missed. They've gone and done this significantly *after* everybody's signed up for res agreements and such, and late enough in the summer that quite a few people may have already bought fridges already, especially if there happened to be any start-of-summer sales. Do you think it would be worth adding something about the time to the existing petition, and if so, any wording you'd suggest?

Personally, I think that if Mac were trying to increase energy efficiency or reduce the number of fridges, there are much better ways to do that than what they've done. While this might work to a degree, I'd expect the general effect would just be students snarking loudly at them and then begrudgingly renting. Maybe there're a few people who just wanted a drink cooler and would decide it wasn't worth it, but for anyone else it's a choice between subsisting purely off of campus food or constantly leaving food in a fridge that the rest of your floor can access. If everybody is considerate, fine, but it only takes one person who thinks hot sauce in the orange juice is funny to wreck that for everyone.
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:39 PM   #141
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I think it's pretty nasty of them to be imposing green initiatives on res - why don't they get rid of all those Styrofoam things they give you food in or add more than one bike rack?

But I still think this is about the money, they're just using green because its trendy.

Last edited by britb : 07-15-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2010 at 10:40 PM   #142
sarrah66

Liked: 22 Times

Inter Residence Council (IRC) Response to the COLDEX Fridge Policy
The Inter-Residence Council has posted a reply to this topic here:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea....html?p=152753

Kind regards,

Sarrah Lal
VP Communications
Inter-Residence Council

Enge, _N/A_ like this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:25 PM   #143
hellohello

Liked: 9 Times

I have an even better idea. Why don't they start tackling the sustainability problem by:

1) replacing the showers in residence with efficiency shower heads instead of those power pressure things that hurt your back within 5 seconds of being in it

2) replacing the toilets which are so powerful that they splatter all over the place when you flush. In fact, that would be much less noisy also, which is a good thing for LP/Keyes/bedrooms next to washrooms!

Last edited by hellohello : 07-15-2010 at 11:36 PM.

dsahota likes this.
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:02 AM   #144
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
2) replacing the toilets which are so powerful that they splatter all over the place when you flush. In fact, that would be much less noisy also, which is a good thing for LP/Keyes/bedrooms next to washrooms!
Naw, I think it's a good idea to keep those toilets. They're super powerful so that they can suck down anything. This means if someone goes in there and has a dump the size of a baby, it won't get stuck giving a poor janitor the job of cleaning it up.

There are also a lot of idiots at school that flush everything down. A friend of mine was telling me that in his suite thing in Bates, his genius roommate disposed of toilet paper roles by flushing them down the toilet.

Better to have it get sucked through than jammed halfway to the sewer.
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:15 AM   #145
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyNinja View Post
You've got a point with the first part, and that's a major thing I missed. They've gone and done this significantly *after* everybody's signed up for res agreements and such, and late enough in the summer that quite a few people may have already bought fridges already, especially if there happened to be any start-of-summer sales. Do you think it would be worth adding something about the time to the existing petition, and if so, any wording you'd suggest?
Ya, I think it's worth adding. I doubt McMaster will go back on the whole fridge thing, but there's probably a decent chance they'll wait a year if enough people complain, since it not being in the contract is a legitimate reason. Unfortunately I'm not great at writing that kind of stuff. I'm sure a poli-sci expert here can help out on that .

Quote:
Personally, I think that if Mac were trying to increase energy efficiency or reduce the number of fridges, there are much better ways to do that than what they've done. While this might work to a degree, I'd expect the general effect would just be students snarking loudly at them and then begrudgingly renting. Maybe there're a few people who just wanted a drink cooler and would decide it wasn't worth it, but for anyone else it's a choice between subsisting purely off of campus food or constantly leaving food in a fridge that the rest of your floor can access. If everybody is considerate, fine, but it only takes one person who thinks hot sauce in the orange juice is funny to wreck that for everyone.
That's what kind of sucks about the whole thing. There's always gonna be that one douchebag that ruins your food or tries to burn the residence down for fun.
Old 07-16-2010 at 10:30 AM   #146
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Naw, I think it's a good idea to keep those toilets. They're super powerful so that they can suck down anything. This means if someone goes in there and has a dump the size of a baby, it won't get stuck giving a poor janitor the job of cleaning it up.

There are also a lot of idiots at school that flush everything down. A friend of mine was telling me that in his suite thing in Bates, his genius roommate disposed of toilet paper roles by flushing them down the toilet.

Better to have it get sucked through than jammed halfway to the sewer.

This is true, the super powered flushes are great, I mean has anyone tried Commons food lately?
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:08 AM   #147
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
I have an even better idea. Why don't they start tackling the sustainability problem by:

1) replacing the showers in residence with efficiency shower heads instead of those power pressure things that hurt your back within 5 seconds of being in it
Those ARE the low flow showerheads, normal showerheads don't add air to the water (which is what makes these ones so pressurized).
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:11 AM   #148
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

This is just ridiculous. Rooms are turning into prisons now :|. Thank god I'm off-campus this year...

Last year, I'd have my mom's food or my aunt's food or my grandma's food (you get the picture) given to me every week, because if I didnt go home, they would come to me to at least give me food, whether I liked it or not. SERIOUSLY, if I didnt have a fridge, I wouldnt have been able to save that food for later. I would have blown up to even MORE insane proportions, having to eat from Commons etc. all the time :|

Everyone's right, it's just a ploy to make you buy more food from Campus, and there WILL be health, convenience, and cost repercussions for everyone. If they had issues with energy, they could do something else - make only CERTAIN fridges allowed, that are energy-saving or something, because then at least the first-years, buying a fridge now, would know what to do. It's bad enough that some residences like McKay don't have AC, but now you can't even put your Coke/yogurt or whatever beside it so it will stay semi-cold instead of in your non-existant fridge, because there is none!

And just a hint to people - I'd rather smuggle my fridge in that trust the common kitchen fridges. My friends ALL had their food stolen for weeks and then decided that it was BS and got fridges for themselves. People PUT STUFF into my food, like peanut butter in my orange juice and random crap in my take-out, and anything that's unopened is taken, like pop bottles. Imagine if I was allergic. In fact, we had our kitchens and common rooms (which were connected) shut down for a month near the end of the year last year in McKay because some drunken idiots went around and threw food from the common fridges ALL OVER the common rooms on every floor, which have carpet and cloth. All the food was everywhere and every fridge on every floor was empty. So ya, I think it's safe to say that using the common fridges is dangerous, lol.
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:29 AM   #149
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:

If they wanted students to not have a fridge at all wouldn't they just ban them outright including the rental of fridges from Coldex.

Its obvious the University is looking to benefit further from its contact with Coldex, not really looking to consume less energy.

While I agree that there are other issues that should be included such as the fact that McMaster sprung this on people after they'd already made residence agreements I don't think McMaster is as good natured in all of this as you seem to think. If it really were about energy consumption issues with fridges they'd buy a couple more common fridges per residence and insist that students use these and perhaps enforce policies about tampering with people's items in these fridges that CAs must enforce.
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:43 AM   #150
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Lol @ how everybody is saying: "Imagine if I were allergic". I am deathly allergic to peanuts and most other nuts (& nut oils). I'm also highly lactose intolerant and I can't eat spice or gluten. Your maybes are my reality

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences