MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-14-2010 at 11:17 AM   #106
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Buying the fridge from Coldex defeats the purpose McMaster has given for renting out the fridges. Coldex cleans and maintains all their fridges (That why you have to pay a 25$ deposit in case you dirty their fridge). Buying the fridge from Coldex means no more cleaning or maintenance.
I get what you're saying, I guess I was just trying to find another way to own it instead of renting for 4 (or more) years and still keep the powers that be happy.
Old 07-14-2010 at 11:39 AM   #107
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara.mcgowen View Post
Can the MSU help with this?
I will pass these concerns on to Mary Koziol, MSU President. I cannot promise any immediate results, but hopefully some further explanation. I agree with both arguments -- the university surely hasn't consulted students enough to outright ban them, but at the same time there were probably cases where fridges were drawing huge amounts of energy, causing damage in some way or were being abused.

All I can say in the interim is that students entering res in September should not bring a mini-fridge on move-in day, but instead wait and see if something gets changed due to volume of complaints.

Cristina_n13, Phoenix all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.

Scrub, x_hikari like this.
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:01 PM   #108
Linh

Liked: 0 Times

so i just read through the residence agreement/contract we agreed to,

#20. Hoursing and Conference Services reserves the right to terminate residence contracts, reassign students to another residence and/or room on a temporary or permanent basis, and to effect other steps as my be required for the safety, security and well-being of the residents and the residence program

does this account for anything?
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:16 PM   #109
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh View Post

#20. Hoursing and Conference Services reserves the right to terminate residence contracts, reassign students to another residence and/or room on a temporary or permanent basis, and to effect other steps as my be required for the safety, security and well-being of the residents and the residence program

Unless there's another clause that expands on this or nullifies it, it seems to be the "final say of fine print".
It seems natural to expect that there would be some clause like this in all legal documentations, as a penalty free legal fallback. It's definitely in course documentations: I.e. The professors, faculty and departments reserve the right to change the course material or amend the course structure at any time.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2010 at 12:24 PM   #110
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:

So in other words, the University can unilaterally alter the contract and in reality aren't agreeing to anything on their end?
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:26 PM   #111
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:

I think that juust means they have the right to kick you out if you make everyone feel unconformatable and do something to harm the safety of someone else
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:34 PM   #112
hitek168

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:

This only mentions that they can terminate our residence contract or move us somewhere else... it doesn't say they can change the terms of agreement. And even so, how would a fridge affect our "safety" "security" or "well- being"?!?
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:59 PM   #113
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek168 View Post
This only mentions that they can terminate our residence contract or move us somewhere else... it doesn't say they can change the terms of agreement. And even so, how would a fridge affect our "safety" "security" or "well- being"?!?
"and to effect other steps as may be required for the safety, security and well-being of the residents and the residence program"

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2010 at 01:10 PM   #114
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

This is so frustrating ... what are they going to tell us next? we have to rent out shampoo, toothbrushes, bed sheets, shoes, wall decor.

fml mac ... like seriously .. why? and don't use the environmentally friendly pizzaz on us because clearly if you wanted to be environmentally friendly you would find other means of doing it without pissing off the whole student population that lives on res at mac
Old 07-14-2010 at 01:12 PM   #115
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Just to let you all know I am working to set up a meeting with the Manager over at Housing and Conference Services to see what the MSU can do to rectify the situation. It is clear that this is something that affects a lot of students living in residence, and as the body representing all undergraduate McMaster students, we will be playing our part throughout the coming weeks. Will keep you all updated.

Cristina_n13, Jaff24, Linh, micadjems, Patrick.O, Phoenix, Tailsnake, TheCrucible all say thanks to McIntyre for this post.

Old 07-14-2010 at 01:18 PM   #116
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Just to let you all know I am working to set up a meeting with the Manager over at Housing and Conference Services to see what the MSU can do to rectify the situation. It is clear that this is something that affects a lot of students living in residence, and as the body representing all undergraduate McMaster students, we will be playing our part throughout the coming weeks. Will keep you all updated.

realistically are they actually going to listen?
they don't care about us .. .all they care about is sucking money from our bank accounts
yea, all the students are angry .. but it's still going to get them to rent the fridges because we have no other choice
i'd really like to see the day that mac extends a hand to the student population instead of continuously screwing us over with things like these and with mugsi failures
Old 07-14-2010 at 02:17 PM   #117
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

I even was talking to many SOCS who seem furious with the idea, and still some students do not know. second years are especially pissed cause they just bought mini firdges last year and now we cat use them, we can fight this, peaceful protests rule!!lol we culd always just refuse to pay for the rez part of our tution. imagine no one that is living is res is paying for it, then rthey will have a huge problem lol
Old 07-14-2010 at 02:38 PM   #118
hitek168

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
"and to effect other steps as may be required for the safety, security and well-being of the residents and the residence program"
What I meant was how does this new rule have anything to do with improving our safety, security or well being? Using their fridges doesn't keep us safe, make residence more "secure" or "improve" our "well-being"?

dsahota likes this.
Old 07-14-2010 at 02:48 PM   #119
LazyNinja

Liked: 6 Times

There's now a petition, located at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/macfridge. It's not the best writing in the world, but then again I'm an Eng student, not a Lit major.

Hopefully all us MacInsiders, even some of the lurkers like myself will take the minute to make our opinions heard. They might not listen, but at the least it's something.

Thanks All,
Edward

SciMania says thanks to LazyNinja for this post.

tatski-p likes this.
Old 07-14-2010 at 06:17 PM   #120
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Ridiculous.
It would have made more sense to send the email when we originally got our residence assignments, some of us have already done out an bought one.