MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-14-2010 at 09:03 PM   #121
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Quick question...is a kegerator a considered a fridge?
Old 07-14-2010 at 09:19 PM   #122
jen.moskalyk

Liked: 0 Times

I just signed the petition, and I am about to send an email as well. Hopefully it will have some sort of impact if everyone does the same! I have also already purchased a fridge, and I think its ridiculous that they're informing us of this rule NOW.
Old 07-15-2010 at 02:00 PM   #123
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

... I'm surprised at the number of people "outraged" that they cannot bring a fridge.

I doubt the school has some massive conspiracy to steal money from students. As already stated, fridges require a ridiculously high amount of energy. Probably most of the students who do bring fridges only use them to keep a few beers/sodas cold, and that's it. The point of making it a rip-off to rent a fridge is to deter these kinds of people from having them. I bet part of that cost too is to cover the cost of the energy to power it.

I know it sucks for people who do actually use their fridges to the full extent, but you should be blaming the people who bring them just because they can.

I do think it's dumb that the school sprung this after having everyone sign the residents contracts or whatever for the coming year, and this should only be effective as of September 2011. I however don't disagree with the idea. Even if it's not the school's intention, it is more environmentally friendly :p.

huzaifa47, mahmoosh like this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 02:06 PM   #124
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

I understand why mac wants to do this .. especially like you said for people who bring fridges just because you can .. and double rooms who have two fridges instead of just sharing one ..

but why couldn't they have notified us sooner .. ?
especially for a lot of first years who have already bought their fridges
Old 07-15-2010 at 04:19 PM   #125
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

.:callen:., Ownaginatios like this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 04:43 PM   #126
Ems467

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
So, I didn't know what the old carts were powered by; however today I saw security driving a cart and it looks like they just bought it, definitively electric. It's very quiet.

That's the thing I hate about electric cars and similar machines. People are tricked into thinking they are doing a good thing for the environment. But if the electricity isn't from a renewable source then they actually aren't. I wonder if scientists have done tests on the amount of electricity required to power a car and what the mileage is of the car, then compare it to fossils fuels by taking into account the amount of electricity that can be generated from fossil fuels.

Fuelwise, you're probably right. However, it's the absence of air pollution that is good for the environment. Gasoline-burning combustion engines emit GHG, while electric cars obviously do not. This is a big deal for cities like LA and Beijing. And, I'm pretty sure that these carts replaced some of the vans that I used to see on campus when I was little. Less noise is another bonus.
Old 07-15-2010 at 04:48 PM   #127
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ems467 View Post
Fuelwise, you're probably right. However, it's the absence of air pollution that is good for the environment. Gasoline-burning combustion engines emit GHG, while electric cars obviously do not. This is a big deal for cities like LA and Beijing. And, I'm pretty sure that these carts replaced some of the vans that I used to see on campus when I was little. Less noise is another bonus.
GHGs are still emitted in the combustion of fossil fuels at power plants. Sure the city itself doesn't have as much pollution but the pollution in the air doesn't change and pollution doesn't have any boundaries on Earth especially gases.
Old 07-15-2010 at 04:56 PM   #128
Ridz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's the stupidest thing ever >.> Who would bring a dirty fridge to residence in the first place anyways? It has to be emptied before transportation, so obviously they would clean it otherwise it would stink up their house/car.

And "in good working order"? Seriously, who would bring a fridge that works half-assed?

I wouldn't be surprised if McMaster signed a contract with Coldex to monopolize and get a cut out of the sales.

Yea seriously this is sooo stupid! i was in a triple room in my 1st year and because we were in triple, we were provided with a fridge from coldex...it was a pain in the *** cuz we had to change it 3 times!!....our food kept rotting cuz they never provided us with a fridge tht was in "good working order"...this is so frustrating!!
Old 07-15-2010 at 04:57 PM   #129
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridz View Post
Yea seriously this is sooo stupid! i was in a triple room in my 1st year and because we were in triple, we were provided with a fridge from coldex...it was a pain in the *** cuz we had to change it 3 times!!....our food kept rotting cuz they never provided us with a fridge tht was in "good working order"...this is so frustrating!!
Lol, there a lot of irony there.
Old 07-15-2010 at 06:56 PM   #130
Griffyn

Well I do believe that personal fridges are not allowed, but fridge replica shelving units are. I also do believe that if a fridge is in another box... i.e. a non-chalant brown box that no one will have a bloody clue. On top of that, I would simply state that my fridge is more energy efficient then the coldex fridges (which, knowing McMaster's shoddy taste in contracters, it is...). I would still move in a fridge during welcome week. On top of that I'd like to see where they officially changed their policies to force this change... They probably figure that by doing this they'll prevent alcoholism during welcome week, avoid liability in the case of ergonomic injuries by reps, and earn some kind of $$ from coldex. This school gets more bearucratic every year and I'm sure we'll be forced to close down the bars, stand on our heads and pray to the McMaster admin/EOHSS before we so much as take a shit in an off campus house.
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:09 PM   #131
Ridz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffyn View Post
Well I do believe that personal fridges are not allowed, but fridge replica shelving units are. I also do believe that if a fridge is in another box... i.e. a non-chalant brown box that no one will have a bloody clue. On top of that, I would simply state that my fridge is more energy efficient then the coldex fridges (which, knowing McMaster's shoddy taste in contracters, it is...). I would still move in a fridge during welcome week. On top of that I'd like to see where they officially changed their policies to force this change... They probably figure that by doing this they'll prevent alcoholism during welcome week, avoid liability in the case of ergonomic injuries by reps, and earn some kind of $$ from coldex. This school gets more bearucratic every year and I'm sure we'll be forced to close down the bars, stand on our heads and pray to the McMaster admin/EOHSS before we so much as take a shit in an off campus house.
well i don't know if you will be allowed to bring your own because during winter break, the mac ppl come into your room and check that everythings in place (aka..garbage is thrown out, windows are closed, room is vaccumed, fridge is plugged in, etc.) ...and during tht time if they see tht you have a fridge tht shouldn't be there...you might get a penalty for it....nd its not liek you can take your fridge home during winter break and then bring it back, its not that easy.....
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:10 PM   #132
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

What differentiates a Coldex from a personal fridge?
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:17 PM   #133
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
What differentiates a Coldex from a personal fridge?
Coldex fridges:
old, ugly, discolored, barely working, a coldex sticker

Personal fridges:
new and in working order

Ridz likes this.
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:19 PM   #134
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Whoever is equally outraged, please please please sign the petition.

Thanks to whoever created it!
Old 07-15-2010 at 07:22 PM   #135
Ridz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
Whoever is equally outraged, please please please sign the petition.

Thanks to whoever created it!
wheres the petition?