MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-14-2010 at 01:38 AM   #91
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

I'm a first year student so I have no clue how things work in Mac but I find this refrigerator thing utterly preposterous! Would someone pls explain the logic behind this new rule?
Old 07-14-2010 at 09:30 AM   #92
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
But yeah, this was a bit of a thread derail. Fridges and such.

While the money Mac gets from the monopoly deal no doubt played a part in this, the more I think about it the more I think its just a way to charge for the extra electricity used by people with fridges. That's really the only reason that the price would be so high in comparison to the price of buying a fridge. And charging people who bring a fridge more would obviously be extremely hard to enforce (or so it would seem if sneaking a fridge into your room is as easy as people make it sound ). Making the only fridges available be from Mac would be the only way to accurately charge that extra money. I guess its slightly better than just charging more for residence, since even if there are a few students who don't buy a fridge they get out of paying that cost.
Well, every entrance has a camera. So theoretically they could identify people and charge them.
Old 07-14-2010 at 09:30 AM   #93
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Just a heads up: CA's are students too
I don't know how we'll be instructed to deal with non Coldex fridges but I think it's fair to say that most CA's won't be walking around with batons or magnifying glasses.
That being said, again, since this is pretty new and happened just yesterday, I have no clue what the protocol will be.
I'm not sure if we're going to have to ask students to return a non Coldex fridge and rent a Coldex one instead but as BJ said earlier, I doubt your CA's will give you a terribly hard time for the rest of the year just because they found you trying to sneak in a Maytag instead

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2010 at 09:31 AM   #94
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish001 View Post
I'm a first year student so I have no clue how things work in Mac but I find this refrigerator thing utterly preposterous! Would someone pls explain the logic behind this new rule?
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...3.html?t=29453

Quote:
This policy ensures all refrigerators entering the residence buildings are properly cleaned, energy efficient and in good working order: this assists the University in providing a safe and healthy living environment in residence and contributes to the University's sustainability efforts.
Old 07-14-2010 at 09:35 AM   #95
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
They've been moving buses off campus each year, and someone recently told me they moved more off this year (although I don't live in Hamilton during the summer, so I can't confirm that being true).
I haven't been on the buses, but I have noticed that they have one of the double buses going west on Main and turning left onto Emerson now. It's just been a couple times in the last week on my way to work I've noticed it. I don't ever remember a bus doing this.
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:03 AM   #96
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeans View Post
I haven't been on the buses, but I have noticed that they have one of the double buses going west on Main and turning left onto Emerson now. It's just been a couple times in the last week on my way to work I've noticed it. I don't ever remember a bus doing this.
The B-line turning left on Emerson? I know it usually stops at Main and Emerson and then continues on to University Plaza, but I can't even find any info on the HSR website that indicates any changes to the route. But then again, it's normally supposed to stop in front of the hospital but it isn't able to temporarily due to some construction going on there (only found this out yesterday).

Maybe they've integrated another double bus for a different route? :S
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:10 AM   #97
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatski-p View Post
The B-line turning left on Emerson? I know it usually stops at Main and Emerson and then continues on to University Plaza, but I can't even find any info on the HSR website that indicates any changes to the route. But then again, it's normally supposed to stop in front of the hospital but it isn't able to temporarily due to some construction going on there (only found this out yesterday).

Maybe they've integrated another double bus for a different route? :S
Im not sure if it's even a bus in service. I've just been coming up beside it at the lights and didn't think to look at what route due to traffic.
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:20 AM   #98
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

There's one that stops in front of the Medical Terminal that no longer does because they're renovating their Emerg entrance.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2010 at 10:47 AM   #99
Apple

Liked: 0 Times

I lived on campus for 2 years and I’m heading to my third I have only used the common fridge twice and wasn't a pleasant experience. Sometimes, people would even try your food! i.e. ice-cream and such. Therefore, it can only be used for a short time with unopened stuff like juices.

living on campus for 8 months requires you, especially during exams, to keep enough drinks and food in your fridge.

In addition, if it wasn't for us ( people with fridges ) the common kitchen would have not been enough for the rest of the floor.

We definitely have to complain, somehow , as a group ASAP instead of sneaking our fridges in!

Every year they find a way to get extra money off the students. Mac is slowly losing its shine :(

Last edited by Apple : 07-14-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:57 AM   #100
Kara.mcgowen

Liked: 0 Times

Can the MSU help with this?

I have medical needs to have a freezer that coldex doesn't provide!! McMaster has with out a doubt signed a contract.

I mean this is a full money grab, totally wrong to put this additional cost and stress on to students with medical needs.
Old 07-14-2010 at 11:01 AM   #101
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara.mcgowen View Post
Can the MSU help with this?

I have medical needs to have a freezer that coldex doesn't provide!! McMaster has with out a doubt signed a contract.

I mean this is a full money grab, totally wrong to put this additional cost and stress on to students with medical needs.
I'm almost 100% certain that all the mini-fridges Coldex rents out have freezers.
Old 07-14-2010 at 11:03 AM   #102
andr5550

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post

We definitely have to complain, somehow , as a group ASAP instead of sneaking our fridges in!

Every year they find a way to get extra money off the students. Mac is slowly losing its shine :(
E-mail them, hopefully if we get as many people to email them as possible they will reconsider, and as stated befor if anyone does email them do it in a mature way not one that is angry and accusing them, even if that's what you truly think.
Old 07-14-2010 at 11:04 AM   #103
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

You can also rent freezers from Coldex.
I imagine they might refer you there.
However, in your case, I'd go to the Housing & Conference Services office and explain that you need your own fridge for whatever reason : i.e. maybe yours has a better thermostat and the medications must be refridgerated at precisely that temperature etc.
They're usually very accommodating with special needs.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2010 at 11:07 AM   #104
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I don't live in residence and I've read about half the responses in this read, so forgive me if I'm repeating something... but 2 thoughts come to mind:
1) Can a fridge be bought outright from Coldex and 2) Who's to say you can't bring one of those electric Coleman coolers?

I may or may not be kidding on #2.
Old 07-14-2010 at 11:09 AM   #105
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
I don't live in residence and I've read about half the responses in this read, so forgive me if I'm repeating something... but 2 thoughts come to mind:
1) Can a fridge be bought outright from Coldex and 2) Who's to say you can't bring one of those electric Coleman coolers?

I may or may not be kidding on #2.
Buying the fridge from Coldex defeats the purpose McMaster has given for renting out the fridges. Coldex cleans and maintains all their fridges (That why you have to pay a 25$ deposit in case you dirty their fridge). Buying the fridge from Coldex means no more cleaning or maintenance.