MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-13-2010 at 10:13 PM   #76
hitek168

Liked: 16 Times

Basically it borders on illegal to unilaterally change the "rules" AFTER we signed their residence agreement. It'd be great if everyone just sent them an email telling them their policy change is not acceptable.
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:15 PM   #77
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

just bring it in secretly? after move in?XD
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:17 PM   #78
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek168 View Post
Basically it borders on illegal to unilaterally change the "rules" AFTER we signed their residence agreement. It'd be great if everyone just sent them an email telling them their policy change is not acceptable.
I don't have the energy to go read it, but I'm sure there's a clause saying that they reserve the right to change things for a justified reason.
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:19 PM   #79
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Money money money...
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:28 PM   #80
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Money money money...
...MONEY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

jen.moskalyk likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:30 PM   #81
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

LOL, Bushra, I was thinking of the song from the Apprentice (too lazy to check and too tired to remember).
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:52 PM   #82
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

someone should just link this thread in an e-mail to the Residence people.

Also, all them IRC reps out there time to speak up, THIS is excactly why your around, get on it for the sake of your student body. Thanks.

This has got to be a breach of the residence contract, it wasnt in place before we made our deposits neither were students informed of this rule. ALSO isnt it odd that they announce this AFTER the last date for cancelling residence and recieving $300 back? Its all a money grab and like I said the IRC and SRA need to be voicing our concerns to the school ASAP. If they dont, whats stopping the school for enlisting a fee for anything else without warning? This is absurd and dispicable McMaster, dirty money driven tactics. I hope every student defies this rule this year and brings their own fridge, drive COLDEX out of business and show the residence Admin students can't be pushes around and made to pay random spur of the moment fee's.

AnnaWM likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:53 PM   #83
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

So, I didn't know what the old carts were powered by; however today I saw security driving a cart and it looks like they just bought it, definitively electric. It's very quiet.

That's the thing I hate about electric cars and similar machines. People are tricked into thinking they are doing a good thing for the environment. But if the electricity isn't from a renewable source then they actually aren't. I wonder if scientists have done tests on the amount of electricity required to power a car and what the mileage is of the car, then compare it to fossils fuels by taking into account the amount of electricity that can be generated from fossil fuels.
Old 07-13-2010 at 11:17 PM   #84
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

I swear to god, if i cant bring my amazing mini fridge i will bring 20 power bars and plug every single appliance i can think of and leave it all ALL DAY LONG, 24/7 and be like NO UR ENERGY BILL IS NOT GOING DOWN BI*CHES! GIVE ME BACK MY FRIDGE!

Old 07-13-2010 at 11:39 PM   #85
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

This won't affect me personally, being off campus and all, but it's still extremely unreasonable and there were so many other ways McMaster could have went about implementing "green" strategies.

I think voicing your opinions to Mac is a great start, but power comes in numbers. Get as many people on the bandwagon as you can - bombard the administration with e-mails, start a petition (http://www.petitionspot.com/)

Just a tip - make sure that in any communication with administration you maintain a clear, concise, and level-headed argument rather than spewing out accusations and being condescending - you don't know the full story and don't want to look like an idiot. It would be wise to come up with alternatives solutions for bringing down energy bills to show that this is something students are thinking about and are willing to integrate into their day by day lives (rather than shelling out more money that may not have).

kritters91 says thanks to tatski-p for this post.

mlangille, SciMania like this.
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:10 AM   #86
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i'm not happy about this :( (couldnt think of any other way to sum up my feelings)
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:28 AM   #87
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
Not if they move buses off-campus. Imagine all your classes being in TSH/CNH/KTH, walking from Main would be a pain. And getting to westdale? -- Though I suppose it only takes 10-15 minutes to walk to westdale anyways..
Either way, the buses are crammed enough as they are. Imagine all the buses running down Main.
I wasn't saying they should do it (although I really do think they should), its something they already are doing. They've been moving buses off campus each year, and someone recently told me they moved more off this year (although I don't live in Hamilton during the summer, so I can't confirm that being true).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
So, I didn't know what the old carts were powered by; however today I saw security driving a cart and it looks like they just bought it, definitively electric. It's very quiet.

That's the thing I hate about electric cars and similar machines. People are tricked into thinking they are doing a good thing for the environment. But if the electricity isn't from a renewable source then they actually aren't. I wonder if scientists have done tests on the amount of electricity required to power a car and what the mileage is of the car, then compare it to fossils fuels by taking into account the amount of electricity that can be generated from fossil fuels.
I know Pen and Teller looked at hybrid cars and why they were actually really inefficient, but they were mainly talking about the gas engine part (that actually gets pretty mediocre mileage, in part because having two motors makes your car a lot heavier), not the electric engine part.

I did find this opinion piece, but its not sourced, and only talks about how transporting energy from fossil fuels as electricity makes electric cars inefficient (although that is a good point I hadn't thought about). It doesn't look at the actual efficiencies of the motor, and I'd still take it with a grain of salt.

I couldn't find any sources talking about that specific comparison, but I think it would vary a lot depending on what cars were looked at.

But yeah, this was a bit of a thread derail. Fridges and such.

While the money Mac gets from the monopoly deal no doubt played a part in this, the more I think about it the more I think its just a way to charge for the extra electricity used by people with fridges. That's really the only reason that the price would be so high in comparison to the price of buying a fridge. And charging people who bring a fridge more would obviously be extremely hard to enforce (or so it would seem if sneaking a fridge into your room is as easy as people make it sound ). Making the only fridges available be from Mac would be the only way to accurately charge that extra money. I guess its slightly better than just charging more for residence, since even if there are a few students who don't buy a fridge they get out of paying that cost.
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:59 AM   #88
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
I swear to god, if i cant bring my amazing mini fridge i will bring 20 power bars and plug every single appliance i can think of and leave it all ALL DAY LONG, 24/7 and be like NO UR ENERGY BILL IS NOT GOING DOWN BI*CHES! GIVE ME BACK MY FRIDGE!
Reminds me of sponsoring a vegetarian.
http://www.thebestpageintheu nivers....cgi?u=sponsor
This would be a good petition, although they would probably make up the money in people renting fridges anyhow. I think I have an idea about a fridge though...
Old 07-14-2010 at 01:06 AM   #89
mahmoosh

Liked: 0 Times

haha the worst part is, im living with a CA.. Maybe if I take some masking tape and write coldex on it...hmmm
Old 07-14-2010 at 01:17 AM   #90
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
Thats okay, it will just come out of your res money that goes to mac anyways