MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-13-2010 at 07:31 PM   #61
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek168 View Post
I think we should all bring our fridges anyway. Hide them in cardboard boxes when you move in. How will they know?
People carry stuff up to your room for you, chances are they'll notice you have a fridge and just send it back with your parents, just wait a few weeks and bring it then

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-Shawn View Post
I would bring it a after froshweek. Even if a CA saw you bring it in, they can't do much about it.
It can be confiscated if they manage to find out about it or see you bring it in, but you have to have a pretty douchey CA for them to actually do that
Old 07-13-2010 at 07:47 PM   #62
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

I'm glad to know I'm definitley not the only one planning on not sticking to this ABSURD policy. I'm all for bringing it in at a later date.
Old 07-13-2010 at 07:59 PM   #63
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

During the Christmas break the rez manager and the staff from housing check every single room. Think they'll be mean enough to fine/confiscate your secretly-brought-in mini fridge?
Old 07-13-2010 at 08:04 PM   #64
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
During the Christmas break the rez manager and the staff from housing check every single room. Think they'll be mean enough to fine/confiscate your secretly-brought-in mini fridge?
Well, 2 options really:
1) take it home for the break
2) take your chances

really both of these things beat paying 145 dollars to rent a CRAPPPP fridge from coldex
Old 07-13-2010 at 08:23 PM   #65
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Yuck. This is so tacky for McMaster. What's next, students have to rent their clothes too?
It's a freakin fridge for FOOD and DRINKS.. jesus! I would file that under "necessity"!

Everyone will end up bringing their fridges in at a later date. I've seen much worse things in rez rooms that weren't allowed to be there (ie. pets), so I doubt anyone will get in trouble for having a fridge.

adrian likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 08:26 PM   #66
andr5550

Liked: 3 Times

I dont know if it will do any good but I just emailed the school with the email address on the email, stating that this what they are doing is not ok what the school is doing, that it wasnt in our residence agreement and that many students have already purchased fridges. It wouldnt hurt for others to do to, hopefully we can change things
Old 07-13-2010 at 08:27 PM   #67
SciMania
Elite Member

Can we start a petition or something lol :S

adrian says thanks to SciMania for this post.

AnnaWM likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 08:31 PM   #68
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

Yeah, its total BS.
1. I fail to see how it helps the environment (MAYBE it discourages people to bring their fridges in..) I don't think fridges from coldex are more environmentally friendly than others and I also don't see that the extra money students are paying is going to go for some "earth-saving" events or something (+ I am one of those people who think these earth fundraisers or something are total BS). It clearly lacks some transparency.
2. Why would fridges not be "properly cleaned" when entering the building? People certainly are not going to keep their fridges "gross" if they are going to store some food for themselves. I am pretty sure the common fridges are way more disgusting.
3. I am pretty sure fridges have been around for a while in rez.. and why are they implementing the policy now? lol

I get impressed by Mac everyday.
p.s. My opinions are based on reasons given by Mac.
Old 07-13-2010 at 08:54 PM   #69
hitek168

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr5550 View Post
I dont know if it will do any good but I just emailed the school with the email address on the email, stating that this what they are doing is not ok what the school is doing, that it wasnt in our residence agreement and that many students have already purchased fridges. It wouldnt hurt for others to do to, hopefully we can change things
I have also done the same. I think we should all bombard their email with complaints saying how we never agreed to this and they can't make a new "rule" randomly. Hopefully this will get changed soon.
Old 07-13-2010 at 09:06 PM   #70
Jenni

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Not necessarily. When the price goes up, it means less students will choose to go with a fridge. Supply and demand at different price points and such. This will probably reduce the number of people in residence with fridges.

That said, if they actually wanted environmental impact instead of $$$ I think they would have just banned fridges outright.

Now this is something I would really like to see. We're trying to shift to a pedestrian campus anyway (moving the buses off campus and such), and getting rid of those carts would seem to be the next logical step. I don't think I've ever seen one actually being used to carry something.

I thought most golf carts were electric though, does anyone know if these are similar?

And as was already stated, doesn't off campus look so much more tempting now?
Not if they move buses off-campus. Imagine all your classes being in TSH/CNH/KTH, walking from Main would be a pain. And getting to westdale? -- Though I suppose it only takes 10-15 minutes to walk to westdale anyways..
Either way, the buses are crammed enough as they are. Imagine all the buses running down Main.

On the topic of enviromental concerns: in case anyone isn't aware yet, Titles does charge 15 cents for a plastic bag now. However, all funds go towards green initiatives on campus.

On the topic of the fridges:
Fridges are pretty much essential. What are people supposed to do with their leftovers?? I wouldn't eat it the next morning if I left it in the common room all night. :S

Last edited by Jenni : 07-13-2010 at 09:18 PM.

adrian likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 09:22 PM   #71
pinkpen

Liked: 0 Times

Also sent them an email, i'm very pissed off about this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 09:57 PM   #72
queenie

Liked: 1 Time

Just a thought: why don't they just list the types of fridges that are environmentally friendly? That way everyone has the same (or similar fridge) that is environmentally friendly AND we get to buy or keep our fridge?

BTW, was there a discussion committe on this or was it total dictorship type policy?
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:01 PM   #73
SciMania
Elite Member

unless coldex has updated their fridges over the summer, i dont see how those old pieces of crap could be environmentally friendly...

this really is nothing but a money making scam...
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:08 PM   #74
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I wish I were on Keyes right now.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Jaff24 likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:13 PM   #75
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie View Post

BTW, was there a discussion committe on this or was it total dictorship type policy?
yeah, I'd love to know if this was just an executive decision by the university, or if the good ol' irc was involved.