MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges!! mustafa10 Bates Forum 2 09-09-2012 03:46 PM
Mini Fridges summercandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-16-2011 12:57 AM
Fridges necessary? ricechrispy Residence & Housing 19 08-12-2011 09:20 AM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridge Rental in Residence - Mandatory Rule

Old 07-13-2010 at 02:13 PM   #31
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain I'm just saying that their is obviously a reason they are doing this. They wouldn't just tell you you can't bring a fridge because they feel like making more money. We are having a lot of environmental issues right now and you know what having a few hundred fridges running in one building takes a shit ton of energy to keep going which means that everything around you is taking a beating for it and if every residence on campus that is traditional has all these fridges then you're looking at probably 1000 fridges running constantly. that's a lot of fridges and I'm gonna bet that a lot of those fridges are half empty.
And living off campus you don't necessarily need you're own fridge. If you're living in a house or even an apartment there's always going to be a fridge in your place. So the only time it would cost you more is if you're going to be living on campus the whole time you're in University.

Old 07-13-2010 at 02:15 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anavc View Post
so if we ... quietly bring out own fridge later, do you think they could confiscate it?
I don't think so, but you should probably take it back with you for the Winter Break. They do check the rooms. Otherwise they wouldn't even know, the CA wouldn't be able to tell if the fridge belongs to Coldex or not unless they actually look closely at it or if your fridge is really different. Just get a plain white fridge.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:20 PM   #33
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
They wouldn't just tell you you can't bring a fridge because they feel like making more money.
The school has a huge deficit right now. They've cut a huge number sessional profs, they're taking in more first years than the school can really handle, and they seem to be trying to make money wherever else they can (example: making basically all parking on campus paid). I wouldn't be surprised for a second if they're doing this solely to make more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anavc View Post
so if we ... quietly bring out own fridge later, do you think they could confiscate it?
Don't bring it during welcome week and try to avoid being caught bringing it into your room, once it's there no CA is going to be on the lookout for them, even if you get caugth bringing it in after welcome week, most CAs would let it slide.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 07-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.

andr5550, resh.jyoti like this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:22 PM   #34
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Yeah this screws upper year students or students who already have a fridge! I have a beautiful pretty new fridge (1.5 years old) and now it shall be smuggled in at some point.

McMaster is starting to become more of a cold hearted money obsessed school that has very little interest in the well being of the students. It started with all the program and course cuts across campus (esp. in the faculty of science where specializations were combined in a idiotic effort to cut costs). I know the school is losing money/ in dept but I'm getting a little tired of students having to pay hard earned money to remedy this. For shame McMaster, for shame. Also Coldex, your fridges suck, and you are an overpriced money monger.

There we go, I like a good rant on Tuesday afternoons. Good Day
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:22 PM   #35
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

They take more first years than they need every year, that's why there's always a much higher fail percentage from first year to second year then there is in any other year.

Old 07-13-2010 at 02:24 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The school has a huge deficit right now. They've cut a huge number sessional profs, they're taking in more first years than the school can really handle, and they seem to be trying to make money wherever else they can (example: making basically all parking on campus paid). I wouldn't be surprised for a second if they're doing this solely to make more money.
I mostly agree with this, but I have to also partly agree with Alyssa because McMaster does have a huge sustainability program.

In either case, I'm sure the university can cut down on their carbon footprint in other places. For instance, I always see those carts being driven around but the back is always empty. Clearly the employees can walk, the campus is tiny.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:26 PM   #37
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Wow.

Nice one, Mac.

sana1504 likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:27 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I would also like to add that if McMaster wishes to have all their students rent from Coldex instead of bringing their own fridges then they should really cut the cost of fridge rentals in half. It doesn't make ANY sense to rent fridges at their cost, no one does that... I mean almost no one does that. It's just really stupid.

fall3n, sana1504, sew12, Shmowen like this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:33 PM   #39
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain I'm just saying that their is obviously a reason they are doing this. They wouldn't just tell you you can't bring a fridge because they feel like making more money. We are having a lot of environmental issues right now and you know what having a few hundred fridges running in one building takes a shit ton of energy to keep going which means that everything around you is taking a beating for it and if every residence on campus that is traditional has all these fridges then you're looking at probably 1000 fridges running constantly. that's a lot of fridges and I'm gonna bet that a lot of those fridges are half empty.
And living off campus you don't necessarily need you're own fridge. If you're living in a house or even an apartment there's always going to be a fridge in your place. So the only time it would cost you more is if you're going to be living on campus the whole time you're in University.
But if students really do want a fridge for their room (which, judging by the responses here, they do), they would just be forced to rent a fridge from Mac, so environmentally speaking, the situation is no different.....except that Mac is now making more money off students via their Coldex contract.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:37 PM   #40
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

I feel sorry for those of you who will live in traditional style rez with one refrigerator.

First of all, it seriously isn't big enough to accommodate everyone's food on the floor. Secondly, you never know what kind of shit some idiots will put into your food. I've personally experienced this and you wouldn't want to deal with issues like this throughout the whole year...Imagine someone putting peanut butter in your juice carton and you drank it; but you're allergic to peanuts.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:47 PM   #41
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

The whole problem can be solved by renting a room next time you need a place to live. Cheaper and none of these stupid rules exist.

I feel for you though, having to put up with this crap.
Old 07-13-2010 at 02:59 PM   #42
james!

Liked: 1 Time

Bring a fridge a couple weeks after WW. My room mate and I EACH had our own mini fridge during the year to keep all of our drinks/food from home and even then mine was too full at times. Be sure to put a table cloth over the front of your fridge
Old 07-13-2010 at 03:17 PM   #43
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

I think this is the most retarded thing ever, **** its so WW2 ish. next they are gonna say u can't bring ur own clothes and only mcmaster clothing is acceptable or some stupid shit. It sucks for upper years who just bought a fridge and now cant bring it back. And i totally don't agree with you alyssa at all. Im not putting all my food in a fridge where ANYONE has access to it. have u lived in rez, ppl just take shit. and where am i suppose to put my alcohol, Im def not leaving it in the common room. mcmaster is such a dirt school, i regret coming here. i just wanna finish my undergrad and go but who knows by then theres prob some new stupid rule saying im stuck here forever

Last edited by MCHEDDENITE : 07-13-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2010 at 03:53 PM   #44
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
But if students really do want a fridge for their room (which, judging by the responses here, they do), they would just be forced to rent a fridge from Mac, so environmentally speaking, the situation is no different.....except that Mac is now making more money off students via their Coldex contract.
Not necessarily. When the price goes up, it means less students will choose to go with a fridge. Supply and demand at different price points and such. This will probably reduce the number of people in residence with fridges.

That said, if they actually wanted environmental impact instead of $$$ I think they would have just banned fridges outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
For instance, I always see those carts being driven around but the back is always empty. Clearly the employees can walk, the campus is tiny.
Now this is something I would really like to see. We're trying to shift to a pedestrian campus anyway (moving the buses off campus and such), and getting rid of those carts would seem to be the next logical step. I don't think I've ever seen one actually being used to carry something.

I thought most golf carts were electric though, does anyone know if these are similar?

And as was already stated, doesn't off campus look so much more tempting now?

resh.jyoti likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 04:03 PM   #45
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
I think this is the most retarded thing ever, **** its so WW2 ish. next they are gonna say u can't bring ur own clothes and only mcmaster clothing is acceptable or some stupid shit. It sucks for upper years who just bought a fridge and now cant bring it back. And i totally don't agree with you alyssa at all. Im not putting all my food in a fridge where ANYONE has access to it. have u lived in rez, ppl just take shit. and where am i suppose to put my alcohol, Im def not leaving it in the common room. mcmaster is such a dirt school, i regret coming here. i just wanna finish my undergrad and go but who knows by then theres prob some new stupid rule saying im stuck here forever
"Papers? Can I zee your papers pleaze?"

First they came for the history students, but I was not a history student, so I said nothing.
Then they screwed students out of mandatory courses and electives, but I was out of SOLAR in 20 mins, kthxbai, so I said nothing.
Then they came for the fridges, but I did not own a fridge, so I said nothing.
Then they came for me, but by then there was nobody left to speak for me.

goodnews.inc says thanks to RyanC for this post.