MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
frosh week MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-05-2011 07:58 PM
Mac FROSH week recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-09-2010 08:47 AM
MACMSA's FROSH WEEK! ! ! khattagh Clubs & Groups 4 09-07-2010 12:21 AM
alcohol during frosh week starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 60 09-03-2009 08:37 PM

Frosh Week!

Old 08-03-2011 at 10:18 AM   #16
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Don't get the MacPass. You don't need it for anything, really. Gets you a little bit of faculty swag (like plastic mugs for Eng), but its all junk. You can buy tickets to see the Welcome Week band for like fifteen bucks. Way better investment. And they hardly check you at any of the events to see if you have the wristband. I know all sorts of people from my res that didn't buy MacPasses that just marched right into the football stadium and got seats with the rest of the res. Engineers don't usually even go to the football game because of the tailgate party just outside the stadium.

xphat says thanks to Theashe for this post.

Ish001 likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 05:55 PM   #17
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Don't get the MacPass. You don't need it for anything, really. Gets you a little bit of faculty swag (like plastic mugs for Eng), but its all junk. You can buy tickets to see the Welcome Week band for like fifteen bucks. Way better investment. And they hardly check you at any of the events to see if you have the wristband. I know all sorts of people from my res that didn't buy MacPasses that just marched right into the football stadium and got seats with the rest of the res. Engineers don't usually even go to the football game because of the tailgate party just outside the stadium.
I've never been so proud to be going for eng <3 LOL
Old 08-03-2011 at 05:57 PM   #18
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
I've never been so proud to be going for eng <3 LOL
Thats all i could think of too haha.
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:03 PM   #19
yaroslav64

It's cool if people dont wanna drink, but please tell me there's ample opportunity for us party animals to get drunk!
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:35 PM   #20
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
... And they hardly check you at any of the events to see if you have the wristband. I know all sorts of people from my res that didn't buy MacPasses that just marched right into the football stadium and got seats with the rest of the res. Engineers don't usually even go to the football game because of the tailgate party just outside the stadium.
Its this sort of shitty attitude that results in poorer quality events and limited preformers.. welcome week proceeds go towards supporing better events in the future that hugely benefits the students.

tldr: Buy the macpass if you plan to enjoy the welcome week events

crazyfree, micadjems all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

Old 08-03-2011 at 06:51 PM   #21
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

I'm pretty sure you can still go to faculty day if you don't have a macpass. Can some clarify this for me? I know that for nursing students could go with or without a macpass.
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:57 PM   #22
Shane.A

Liked: 2 Times

It's worth it to me! There are so many activities going on and so many chances to meet plenty of people and really get to know the university. If it's not your thing you can just show up for faculty day like a friend of mine did in first year.

xphat says thanks to Shane.A for this post.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:24 PM   #23
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Easy question you can ask yourself to determine whether or not you should get the MacPass:

"In the long run, will I regret getting it more than I'll regret not getting it?"

Problem solved... but hey, I'm in Engineering... I solve practical problems
Although that's more of a philosophical problem... but shh

xphat likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:55 PM   #24
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphat View Post
Okay so I'm not a drinker and I was wondering if there would be any point in me purchasing a MacPass?
What events can you not attend if you don't have a MacPass?

The only things I'm really interested in is the Football game, Clubfest, and that big picture taking thing they're doing on the first day?

Thankss x
Welcome-Week is not for drinking. Lot of people I know who didn't drink, including myself and it was awsome.
Old 08-04-2011 at 10:01 AM   #25
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Its this sort of shitty attitude that results in poorer quality events and limited preformers.. welcome week proceeds go towards supporing better events in the future that hugely benefits the students.

tldr: Buy the macpass if you plan to enjoy the welcome week events
My point is that I don't see a valuable return for the amount of money that a MacPass costs. Other universities have fantastic Welcome Week events without the steep cost of a pass. It simply wasn't needed to get into the football game, the tickets to see Alexisonfire were less than 10% of the price of a MacPass (even if you got the early bird), and the swag was two shirts, a red plastic mug, a drink sleeve, and an umbrella. I had a lot more fun with my res and faculty in events I didn't need the pass for (and training for bedraces).

Condensed: Orientation Week is some of the most fun you'll have in university, but I wouldn't buy a MacPass because I don't see a return for the investment and you can have the time of your life without it.

Last edited by Theashe : 08-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.

xphat says thanks to Theashe for this post.
Old 08-04-2011 at 05:33 PM   #26
Oilenroc

Liked: 3 Times

The problem with making the decision to get a macpass or not is that there is only a few days left to get the pass for $100, after that it will be $25 more... So if someone is to decide that they won't be needing one now, and a week before move-in day they change their mind and decide to get one, they will regret not buying it before hand for cheaper.

Anyways, this is a tough decision... this pass is expensive at its current price, and even more so in a few days time. I wouldn't hesitate to getting it if it were only $50...

Do most people end up getting the pass? And from what I've read most of the events during welcome week do not require the pass and the ones that do may sell tickets so the pass wouldn't be necessary.
Old 08-04-2011 at 08:41 PM   #27
zagi

Liked: 3 Times

I didnt buy one, but i ended up participating in all the activities anyways lol. imho not worth the money if there's only a 3% chance of getting caught. but even if anyone says anything just pretend u don't speak English, no one will bother giving you a hard time
Old 08-04-2011 at 11:32 PM   #28
xphat

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagi View Post
I didnt buy one, but i ended up participating in all the activities anyways lol. imho not worth the money if there's only a 3% chance of getting caught. but even if anyone says anything just pretend u don't speak English, no one will bother giving you a hard time
LOL I actually just laughed for a good 5 minutes at that hahaha
Old 08-04-2011 at 11:39 PM   #29
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
I'm pretty sure you can still go to faculty day if you don't have a macpass. Can some clarify this for me? I know that for nursing students could go with or without a macpass.

Faculty DAY - yes (but you wont have a matching shirt and swag like everyone else!! Sometimes you get something fun like... whistles )

Faculty NIGHT - NO. (supa fun!)
Old 08-05-2011 at 06:41 AM   #30
Ish001

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post

Faculty NIGHT - NO. (supa fun!)
Actually I didn't purchase a MacPass but I was still able to buy a ticket for Faculty night. $5 I believe