MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Courses Ziggi Academics 33 08-20-2010 11:34 PM
courses that are full yapyyap Academics 7 07-15-2010 11:20 AM
How come almost every courses are full? chanduru Academics 4 06-30-2010 12:15 PM
Which courses are full? julianface First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-27-2010 01:38 PM
full courses..what to do??? rits General Discussion 6 07-01-2009 09:28 PM

Full courses!

Old 07-03-2010 at 11:55 AM   #1
lorii

Liked: 8 Times

Full courses!
I'm in the commerce program and my required econ courses are both full... (which makes me a little panicky!) I've already been trying for two days.
I know lots of people drop courses once they receive their timetables but since this is a required course I was wondering if there was a guaranteed way to reserve my seat? Could I call mac?
I also require 4 electives in anything else and have only managed to get one of them...
If I knew courses would fill up this fast I would have registered earlier ahh...

Please enlighten me with your words of wisdom o' great upper-year students! D:
Old 07-03-2010 at 12:05 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorii View Post
but since this is a required course I was wondering if there was a guaranteed way to reserve my seat? Could I call mac?
Yes, since its a part of your program, you really should call a course co'ordinator, department head, or prof. I would go in though. (somebody in commerce should post infos if they're here..)

Quote:
I also require 4 electives in anything else and have only managed to get one of them...
If I knew courses would fill up this fast I would have registered earlier ahh...
Please enlighten me with your words of wisdom o' great upper-year students! D:
Getting electives is a lot less likely, however; getting what you want is really based on how fast you are on SOLAR at the registration date, or grabbing up what you like when people drop them.

lorii says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 07-03-2010 at 12:07 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Yeah there seem to be a lot of problems with "full" courses this year. When the Chem Bio kids were registering, 5 of our required courses were full. Some were corequisites, so even if they were "open", they were locked out to us. I'd recommend emailing the Dept. of Economics but don't get too worried. Chances are that many many other Commerce kids are in the same boat and it's probably an administrative error more than courses being 'full'. If a course is required for your degree, you have to be let into it. About the electives, that might take some bargaining and you may not get all the courses you love but hopefully they'll all help you meet the first year com. requirements. (There's this course list that your courses should fit into) http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1185.html

I'd recommend picking electives that help you satisfy the I/CC/L menu requirements to save yourself time and money

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

lorii says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 07-03-2010 at 12:11 PM   #4
lorii

The problem is I live pretty far from Hamilton (3.5 hour drive) so going in would be very inconvenient. I'll be visiting on the 5th for the orientation but I'm not sure if that's such a good time to contact the course coordinator/prof/etc

Ahaha... Right now I really don't care if I get an elective I don't particularly like. I'll be happy with anything!

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-03-2010 at 12:16 PM   #5
lorii

Ah in that case I really do hope it's an administrative error. That makes me feel a bit better. >_< I've learned my lesson - next year I'll register courses on the day they open. xP

I'll take a closer look at the course list. Thanks Bushra!
Old 07-03-2010 at 03:56 PM   #6
lorii

I have another question about the cross cultural menu... first year students cannot take courses that start with 2,3, etc right? XD Just making sure. ^^;
Old 07-03-2010 at 04:02 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
I have another question about the cross cultural menu... first year students cannot take courses that start with 2,3, etc right? XD Just making sure. ^^;
Usually not. Some have no prerequisites (i.e.. even though they are a level 2 course, they're open to anybody) but I wouldn't recommend it. If you take a 2nd year course your markers and tests will assume you have 2nd year knowledge and experience; no slack for eager first years. While fast tracking was considered beneficial in high school, I'm hard pressed to find people who recommend it in university

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-03-2010 at 04:40 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Usually not. Some have no prerequisites (i.e.. even though they are a level 2 course, they're open to anybody) but I wouldn't recommend it. If you take a 2nd year course your markers and tests will assume you have 2nd year knowledge and experience; no slack for eager first years. While fast tracking was considered beneficial in high school, I'm hard pressed to find people who recommend it in university
Depending on your program, fast-tracking can be very beneficial (such as in chembio...I really wish I'd fast-tracked), but I definitely wouldn't recommend it for first year. In any other year, as long as you have the prereqs you should be fine, but for first year, you need that base knowledge and you need to adapt to university life, so it's probably better/more logical to stick to first-year courses. Having said that, if you REALLY want to, then don't let anyone tell you not to Even if you do badly, you'll learn from it.
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:31 PM   #9
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
The problem is I live pretty far from Hamilton (3.5 hour drive) so going in would be very inconvenient.
That's why it has been suggested that you call or email...although at this time, the registrar and every faculty/department is probably loaded with calls and emails. You could email them anyways, but your next best thing is to wait it out. I'm pretty sure this error (not having enough spaces) happens quite a bit. They need to let in students who are required to take those courses, even if that means kicking out another student who got in first but is taking them as electives.
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:32 PM   #10
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Depending on your program, fast-tracking can be very beneficial (such as in chembio...I really wish I'd fast-tracked), but I definitely wouldn't recommend it for first year. In any other year, as long as you have the prereqs you should be fine, but for first year, you need that base knowledge and you need to adapt to university life, so it's probably better/more logical to stick to first-year courses. Having said that, if you REALLY want to, then don't let anyone tell you not to Even if you do badly, you'll learn from it.
By fast tracking do you mean studying in the summer?
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:40 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, it usually requires summer school, but instead of using that extra space with electives (or nothing), you take upper year courses in your program. So, with chembio, there is someone who took both orgos in the summer, then took 3rd year orgo and 3rd year **** in their place, and used her only elective to take genetics (which we'd normally take in 3rd year). She also took 3rd yr structural elucidation instead of 2nd year cell bio, and is going to take cell bio in 3rd year (although that's more 'switching' rather than 'fast-tracking'). So now she has a TON of room to take whatever she wants for the rest of university, and I'm jealous There were lots of people who took both orgos in the summer, but I don't think all of them 'fast-tracked' like that. Some took 3rd yr orgo, but that's about it