MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
Full time student John H Academics 7 01-13-2010 01:50 PM
Full-time student Matthew K Academics 17 07-14-2009 11:05 AM
Full time student.... sarah1111 Academics 4 06-21-2009 06:18 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

Full Time Student Still?

Old 03-01-2011 at 03:43 PM   #1
simonean

Liked: 0 Times

Full Time Student Still?
Hey guys,

I know that to be considered a full time student you need to take at least 24 credits during the academic year.

I was just wondering: what if we took 8 courses in one semester? I know it sounds a little crazy but I would like to participate in a volunteer abroad program that will take up approximately 1-2 months, so it doesn't seem reasonable to register for classes that I will not be able to attend/take for a majority of the time.

I was thinking if i took 8 courses during first semester, and then take 2 courses during the summer I may still meet my academic requirements to advance to the next year in my degree. Any thoughts?

**I have to be a registered as a full time student, there is no way around this. So just wondering if a 8 course/semester thing will help retain my full time status. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2011 at 03:47 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

... This is a tough question. I would suggest contacting the office of the registrar to ask someone who would know for sure. Here's a page with all the ways to contact them: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /contacts.html
Old 03-01-2011 at 03:48 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

1. What faculty are you in
2. What abroad program are you speaking of
3. What sort of student are you? (A,B,C)
4. When does the program take place?

Also, theres a very small chance you'll get all the courses you want in a single semester! Let alone 8!
Old 03-01-2011 at 03:50 PM   #4
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Depending on what program you are in, you may need to ask for permission to overload for courses. I know this is true for social sciences - an academic advisor told me I needed permission just to take 6 courses in one semester :/
I believe you also need a 7 s.a in order to do something like this.
Old 03-01-2011 at 04:34 PM   #5
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

EIGHT in one semester ... i don't even wanna do 5
Old 03-01-2011 at 04:49 PM   #6
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

I would have suggested 6 in 1 semester and then 4 in the summer, but then I guess you wouldn't be a full time student. Is it really necessary for you to be one?
Old 03-01-2011 at 06:43 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Why do you need to retain your full-time student status? Is it because of OSAP?

If it is, then the way they calculate full-time student status is per semester.
Old 03-01-2011 at 06:59 PM   #8
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonean View Post
Hey guys,

I know that to be considered a full time student you need to take at least 24 credits during the academic year.

I was just wondering: what if we took 8 courses in one semester? I know it sounds a little crazy but I would like to participate in a volunteer abroad program that will take up approximately 1-2 months, so it doesn't seem reasonable to register for classes that I will not be able to attend/take for a majority of the time.

I was thinking if i took 8 courses during first semester, and then take 2 courses during the summer I may still meet my academic requirements to advance to the next year in my degree. Any thoughts?

**I have to be a registered as a full time student, there is no way around this. So just wondering if a 8 course/semester thing will help retain my full time status. Thanks!
Last year, I was a "full time" student with only 18 units (3 courses each term) as far as the MSU and OSAP were concerned, although I was officially part time according to the university administration. So I guess the main question, like many others have asked already, is what do you need full time status for?
Old 03-01-2011 at 07:39 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

most faculties wont allow (especially eng) cause people are suffering as it is with 5-6. and a full time sutdent is that many units year round not per semester...