MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIO 1A03 Lab Test REPLEKIA/. Academics 17 11-25-2010 09:14 PM
G- Test Cassanova Automotive & Transportation 25 04-16-2010 10:43 AM
Bio 1A03 Test # 1! ~*Sara*~ General Discussion 9 10-09-2009 10:15 AM
A maths test.. Jessica_Yu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 09-02-2009 11:32 PM
Test Days? blackdragon Academics 16 08-06-2009 11:31 AM

G2 Test Tips

Old 05-14-2010 at 01:11 AM   #16
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Also these are a few things I remember my instructor telling me:

1. Every time you're driving straight and are in the middle of a signalized intersection, quickly turn your head left and right to check the traffic on the other street.

2. Every time you're planning to turn left or right onto another street, first turn your signal on, then immediately look into your mirror and finally check your blindspot (towards the direction you're turning to). This can score some points with the examiner.

danallan says thanks to KayakerDan for this post.

danallan likes this.
Old 05-14-2010 at 10:46 AM   #17
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I didnt go to oakville either, for my G2 test. But, I think ill take my G in oakville, I mean... its just driving. If you mess up here, you will probably mess up anywhere
Old 05-14-2010 at 10:55 AM   #18
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

The only advice I can give that others haven't is to make sure you get a car you're adjusted to. I didn't have any issues passing, but I had a friend who did all his practices in a Aveo, and then switched to a bigger car on test day. He ended up hitting the car behind up in parallel park
Old 05-14-2010 at 12:18 PM   #19
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Simple and obvious reminders:

- as your braking, check your rear view mirror from time to time (instructor likes to see that your making sure no one is going to rear end you.
This is truth. I avoided being plowed into the other week because some fellow wasn't paying attention. I braked for a red light and glanced in my rear view - the guy was looking down at his radio. I had a little bit of room to stop in the crosswalk in the intersection (no pedestrians) and giving him the bit of extra room to make a big screetching stop once he came to. He then proceeded to rage and blame it on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobee View Post
3. After stopping at a light, if a car inches upwards slightly, DO NOT let go of the brakes to move upwards. Some examiners don't like it and will deduct marks.
I got this comment on my G2 exit test. I don't think I lost marks though.
Old 05-14-2010 at 01:12 PM   #20
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Trust me!! The wrongest thing you doing is by going to Oakville. I live in Oakville and even I didn't go their. It is situated in the wrongest place ever and there is almost no right time when you can make the left turn or right turn. I went to Burlington and passed in my first try. Try Burlington if you don't pass this time, I hope you do though. GOOD LUCK!
I don't know why taking the test in Oakville is the wrongest <sic> thing you can do. I took a left at 40 and still passed

As for tips, don't mess up any of your parking maneuvers - if you mess up parallel parking, they'll probably make you reverse park (from what I've heard) to give you a chance to redeem yourself...

Drive with confidence, but be really cautious when you're stopping, etc and over-emphasize your rearview mirror, side mirror, and blindspot checks like hell. That way, if you do something stupid (like forget you're being tested and take a turn at 40) the assessor will probably just think you made a mistake and let you get away with it.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-14-2010 at 01:14 PM.

danallan says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 05-14-2010 at 03:33 PM   #21
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

Hey! All good tips so far.

Something else to really get into perspective is that the worst that can happen is you fail. There isn't a maximum number of times you are allowed to take the test.

Don't bother booking it again until you've had a little more practice with the things you mentioned having trouble with. Don't get too distracted by focusing only on the things you did wrong the 1st and 2nd time (it may have just been an off day for you and next time you go back you will be too focused on not doing that again, but will likely mess something else up in turn).

Practice driving with someone who can be "intimidating", if possible. I don't mean rude or judgemental, but someone that will point things out to you! Honestly practice is the best tip you can receive. A LOT of teens don't have enough driving experience with they're parents.

Also, like I said above, just remember sometimes **** happens. I failed my first test because someone almost sideswiped me and I didn't "respond correctly" (I didn't honk because I was too busy trying to GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!).

Good luck!

danallan says thanks to eleduc for this post.
Old 05-14-2010 at 04:16 PM   #22
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Oakville really isn't all that bad. The 3 primary G2 routes take you on Chartwell or Ford, pending if you go left or right at the first stop sign at Maple Grove.

As somebody else said, a few hours with a licensed instructor would be a good idea. My guy ended up taking me across the used routes a good number of times and made sure I knew how to do everything needed. Only deduction I had for the exam was taking too long turning back into the DMV because I was being a passive driver.

Overall it really isn't all too bad. Avoid rush hour time slots and when schools will be getting out. Noon would be optimal, maybe a bit earlier so as to avoid the Period 3/4 lunches at OT.

Good luck.

danallan says thanks to eullwm for this post.
Old 05-14-2010 at 04:29 PM   #23
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

just got back from my test, I PASSED!

thanks for all the great help, guys. I used everything you suggested and I did great.

Only four mistakes:
-fails to check blind spot
-late in stopping
-fails to observe leaving
-fails to angle wheels properly during parallel park

i'm very happy, couldn't have done it without the help.

Mahratta likes this.