MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classes Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-08-2010 07:19 PM
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
How likely is it that we'll get into the classes we want? ShesTheMan Academics 17 08-10-2010 11:28 PM
First Aid Classes VoyozooT General Discussion 2 07-31-2009 11:20 PM
First Day of Classes Holly Academics 6 08-27-2008 10:23 PM

Gaps between classes

Old 08-07-2008 at 07:10 AM   #1
sad cypress

Liked: 0 Times

Gaps between classes
Okay. So like everyone else, I checked my timetable this morning.
It didn't look worse than I imagined but it was still pretty bad looking.
The problem I have with my timetable is numerous 1hr gap in between clases, which, I think, are totally useless.
I'll try chaging this on the 11th but if by any chance, I'm left with this timetable, what do you suggest I do during that 1hr? (other than eating lunch and grabbing snacks and stuff?)

p.s. In the second semester, I somehow got stuck with 5 LECTURES on fri. Why are they doing this to me? OH WHY?! Ws anyone in this kind of situation before and is this menageable?

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:26 AM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Gaps
Yeah...gaps are not very nice things. If you're feeling studious you could go to the library or student centre to review class notes. Or if you're more relaxed you could go visit a friend in rez, or even go back to your own rez for a bit. But be careful of having too many classes close together.

Also, I would recommend not having two consecutive classes in buildings very far apart (something like T29 to ABB). If anything, I found that extra gap helpful, just to give me a little extra time.

But for sure, if you can, try to change your classes so that maybe you have 2 hour gaps vs. 1 hour gaps. It's nicer to have longer breaks .

Friday lectures
And 5 lectures on Friday is possible (hopefully not consecutive classes). I had that second semester in first year too. It is quite manageable...I've seen worse (i.e. LABS on Friday afternoon + multiple lectures, or way too many lectures in a row).
Old 08-07-2008 at 08:02 AM   #3
sad cypress

I have 1 lecture at 8 am and an hour gap and then 4 consecutive lectures on Fri. Oh, the McMaster computer must hate me! Thank you so much for your advice, nh999.
Old 08-07-2008 at 08:09 AM   #4
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

When I had gaps that were not too far from my rez, I would usually go back for a quick rest or meal. 1 hour gaps are short, but not that short. It only takes 15 minutes most to walk to the very edge of campus. I usually had at least half an hour to spare.

I've had Friday classes every year. As NH999 said, it's not as bad as labs on Friday afternoon. I think it's because my last name began with W, that they always stuck my in a Friday afternoon lab. Either Chemistry or Biology. Almost all first years are going to have multiple classes on Friday because that's just the way they set it up. Now, I pretty much have my Friday off, and you will too eventually.
Old 08-07-2008 at 08:18 AM   #5
sad cypress

Yes, I think grabbing something to eat'd be the best thing to do during those little gaps. I certainly wouldn't be able to do any studies and probably end up fooling around. Just hope I survive that horrid Friday. Thanks for the advice, mitch.
Old 08-07-2008 at 08:27 AM   #6
mike_2133

i have 8 hours of lecture on mondays..it's tough but it is manageable. i wouldn't be too concerned.

i enjoyed the one hour breaks in res, you have more than enough time to relax, since you never live further than 10 minutes from class. it's way more time than you think.