Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
google nexus s vs lg optimus 2X cjdzl General Discussion 15 08-21-2011 02:34 PM

Google Nexus 7

Old 07-27-2012 at 11:47 AM   #256
faithcry

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I managed to get my phone stuck in a boot loop in a stable version CM7 on my Galaxy S2 when I first got it (Changed a few settings related to automatic backlight adjustment) and the only way to get out of the loop was to boot into recovery and do a factory reset.

CM is easily the most stable and well supported rom and there are still pitfalls there. I wouldn't put anyone on a custom rom unless they knew how to get into and use the recovery menu (Unless the stock Rom is as terrible as my Dad's HTC Amaze was... WTF was HTC thinking!?!).
sense 3 blows. sense 4 is much better. but still. overlays are overrated.
Old 07-27-2012 at 11:55 AM   #257
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithcry View Post
sense 3 blows. sense 4 is much better. but still. overlays are overrated.
His phone ran slow, lasted like 4 hours, was always hot, and actually took a few second to load the launcher after exiting an app. I couldn't believe it when I checked the phone's firmware and it was an Android 4.0.3 based rom (Sense 3.5) running on a phone with a 1.5 GHz Dual Core Snapdragon. I switched the rom from it immediately after that and ask my dad why he didn't just buy a Galaxy Nexus.
Old 07-27-2012 at 02:51 PM   #258
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

My thoughts so far...

Pros:
Very sleek, elegant, uber-fast compared to my current phone
Can handle a lot of simultaneous (or apparent simultaneous) programs
Loving the ability to just load up video files via usb and being able to play
Google currents is pretty great on this tablet
The voice commands/search is spendid
A lot is very familiar to you if you've had an android phone in the past (apps section, home screens, etc)
Big but not too big to hold, very comfortable and pretty. Very minimalist.
Comes with a quality charger, battery seems to hold a charge pretty long? About 5% an hour with wifi, sync, and screen on.
Everything else positive is really based on what apps you put on it, which there are countless..

Cons:
Power button right beside volume... would be better if it was at the top, since I keep hitting it when I need to change volume..
Speaker is a bit under-powered
Connection limited to bluetooth and wifi
Uhh... fragile? I feel like my pretty toy will break, I want a case..
Old 07-27-2012 at 10:49 PM   #259
faithcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
My thoughts so far...

Pros:
Very sleek, elegant, uber-fast compared to my current phone
Can handle a lot of simultaneous (or apparent simultaneous) programs
Loving the ability to just load up video files via usb and being able to play
Google currents is pretty great on this tablet
The voice commands/search is spendid
A lot is very familiar to you if you've had an android phone in the past (apps section, home screens, etc)
Big but not too big to hold, very comfortable and pretty. Very minimalist.
Comes with a quality charger, battery seems to hold a charge pretty long? About 5% an hour with wifi, sync, and screen on.
Everything else positive is really based on what apps you put on it, which there are countless..

Cons:
Power button right beside volume... would be better if it was at the top, since I keep hitting it when I need to change volume..
Speaker is a bit under-powered
Connection limited to bluetooth and wifi
Uhh... fragile? I feel like my pretty toy will break, I want a case..

wow an hour screen time with 5% gone only? you're getting 12 minutes of screen time/percent?! i cant even get that on my transformer...

i agree on all your points, except i like the power button there, since its just like my nexus. but thats just me
Old 07-28-2012 at 09:23 PM   #260
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
wow an hour screen time with 5% gone only? you're getting 12 minutes of screen time/percent?! i cant even get that on my transformer...

i agree on all your points, except i like the power button there, since its just like my nexus. but thats just me
Had wifi and screen off last night and left it for like 10 hours and saw less than a percent change
I can realistically see this being like a kindle/ebook reader when I can just pull it out for a textbook reading, quick internet search, or avenue check every once and awhile without worrying about charging.

Afzal likes this.
Old 07-29-2012 at 07:02 PM   #261
faithcry

tablet talk = awesome. maybe i should just get a Note...

Melanieee says thanks to faithcry for this post.

Melanieee likes this.
Old 07-29-2012 at 07:11 PM   #262
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
OK you've convinced me I'm getting tablet talk!

Galaxy note? I want that pretty badly. But its not really an option for me atm
Old 07-29-2012 at 08:32 PM   #263
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
i have a galaxy note running jelly bean. Pretty slick

faithcry likes this.
Old 07-29-2012 at 09:30 PM   #264
faithcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
i have a galaxy note running jelly bean. Pretty slick
debating on the note 2 or the next nexus. 8-)
Old 07-30-2012 at 07:41 AM   #265
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
debating on the note 2 or the next nexus. 8-)
just curious, how do you get new phones when you want them?
Do you just suck it up and pay full price at Bell or Rogers or whatever and add it to your existing plan?

Ive never been able to have a phone I actually want because of price and contracts. Im with koodo now so that if I want a new phone (or to go with a new company) I just have to pay off my tab (which is less than a new phone at Bell or Rogers, and alot less than breaking a contract)
Old 07-30-2012 at 08:17 AM   #266
faithcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
just curious, how do you get new phones when you want them?
Do you just suck it up and pay full price at Bell or Rogers or whatever and add it to your existing plan?

Ive never been able to have a phone I actually want because of price and contracts. Im with koodo now so that if I want a new phone (or to go with a new company) I just have to pay off my tab (which is less than a new phone at Bell or Rogers, and alot less than breaking a contract)
i'm on rogers, but i signed with best buy using the PEP plan. The PEP plan allows you to exchange your phone for a brand new one if you have a problem with your current one. You just have to look for a 'problem' and then make a big cahoot about it and then they exchange it for something of same or lesser value. its 12 bucks a month for 2 years, but I've already gotten a $600 (at the time) phone out of it, so think its great value.

otherwise kijiji.ca is a good place to find stuff.

Melanieee says thanks to faithcry for this post.
Old 07-30-2012 at 08:39 AM   #267
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I ordered a Nexus 7 this weekend (from the Play store - online stock for Staples, Best Buy, Future Shop and Canada Computers are all showing none anywhere nearby) from the Play Store, as well as a bluetooth keyboard case from it on Amazon. Can't wait until it all comes in.

On the topic of new phones, I signed a 3-year contract with Virgin and got an iPhone 4 in August 2010. I decided I wanted a new phone this year, but didn't want to wait until February to renew my contract and get a new phone, since a) I didn't really want to wait that long, b) I don't want to be on contract after this one expires next August. So I just bought my HTC One X outright unlocked... it's a pretty heavy initial investment but I figure this way, whenever I decide to upgrade next, I can sell the One X and get a decent amount of money for it back, seeing as it's unlocked.
Old 07-30-2012 at 09:24 AM   #268
faithcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I ordered a Nexus 7 this weekend (from the Play store - online stock for Staples, Best Buy, Future Shop and Canada Computers are all showing none anywhere nearby) from the Play Store, as well as a bluetooth keyboard case from it on Amazon. Can't wait until it all comes in.

On the topic of new phones, I signed a 3-year contract with Virgin and got an iPhone 4 in August 2010. I decided I wanted a new phone this year, but didn't want to wait until February to renew my contract and get a new phone, since a) I didn't really want to wait that long, b) I don't want to be on contract after this one expires next August. So I just bought my HTC One X outright unlocked... it's a pretty heavy initial investment but I figure this way, whenever I decide to upgrade next, I can sell the One X and get a decent amount of money for it back, seeing as it's unlocked.
you wont be disappointed... hopefully you'll get a tab from the second batch and not the first with all the defects and crap. I was lucky and got mine from the first batch and it was all good, same with Melanie. Its pretty comfortable to type on even without a keyboard, since its just like a big phone. and with swype/swiftkey its also pretty fast.

one x is a solid phone. a pain to unlock, but amazing otherwise.
Old 07-30-2012 at 09:25 AM   #269
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post

what keyboard did you order? i might be interested in one.

im still waiting on my case to come in the mail from ebay! i havent been taking it anywhere with me because i dont have the case, just been keeping it in the box
Old 07-30-2012 at 09:36 AM   #270
faithcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
what keyboard did you order? i might be interested in one.

im still waiting on my case to come in the mail from ebay! i havent been taking it anywhere with me because i dont have the case, just been keeping it in the box
i didn't order a keyboard Andrew did.

on another note, check your inbox pleasee