MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swimming Lessons at Mac! mcmastergcdb Athletics & Recreation 24 06-07-2010 03:43 PM
life guard lessons at Mac? killza Athletics & Recreation 8 05-10-2010 12:59 AM
Driving lessons mac-lover Automotive & Transportation 34 04-01-2010 02:31 PM
Guitar lessons **jewel 03** Music 48 01-10-2010 03:07 PM
Driving Lessons Richa Automotive & Transportation 19 01-03-2010 06:31 PM

Guitar Lessons/Jam

Old 01-26-2010 at 09:04 PM   #1
OldCrowChuck

Liked: 3 Times

Guitar Lessons/Jam
Forgive me, I'm new to this place and am not sure if I am posting this correctly or even in the right place.

I was a teacher for the "Mac Guitar Club" last year, and am pretty sure it disappeared this year. I woud be willing to hold group sessions for people who are wanting to learn the basics or intermediate players looking to brush up there skills on the ol' axe. I can teach anyone who is interested:

Chords: How to make 'em and play 'em.
Scales: Where the lick is cooked from
Modes: Yha, that's right
Technique: Pinch harmonics, tapping anything you'd like

the list goes on. I'm not the best player, but I think I know enough that I can pass it on and put a lil' music in your lives.

Chuck
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:24 PM   #2
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Was the Mac Guitar Club the free one? And are you charging? I'm interested either way.

Old 01-26-2010 at 09:31 PM   #3
OldCrowChuck

Hey Proxy,
Yes the Guitar club was free, purely volunteer run. It was a real good club! Most of the people who ran it were in their upper years and have gone off elsewhere or are more focused on their studies.

This will be free, ideally it will be a relatively large group of people all at one time. Some difficulties would be finding a place where everyone could go, but I am sure we could get around it.

I teach guitar as a job aswell, and if you so desired to learn on a more personal basis I am sure we could do that as well!

Chuck
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:35 PM   #4
Proxy

I was going to check you guys out last year but my schedule proved too busy. I actually enjoy group sessions better from experience. I take it we bring our own guitars and is there a preference between what type? Also I guess the most important question for me is how flexible is the scheduling? I basically have 1-3 midterms each week 'til exam season. FML that way...

Old 01-26-2010 at 09:40 PM   #5
OldCrowChuck

Ya, school is more pimportant, whether we want it to be or not. Scheduling depends on how many people want to come and how their schedules work. Nothing has to be set in stone, we can communicate ahead of time to see when lessons will be held, and when they may be cancelled.

A guitar is a guitar to me. As long as its got string (preferably 6) then bring it along, I can show ya something on it you didn't know before!
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:43 PM   #6
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

I'm a big guitar fan. Hit me up if you want to jam sometime.
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:50 PM   #7
OldCrowChuck

Hey Vast Horizon,
Secret alias Van Halen, well played. I would 'hit you up' however I don't know how. So unfortunately this is all you get. A jam sounds good, I commute, so I am not in Hamilton all the time, but am around quite abit for the obvious school I attend.
What kind of music you like?
I personalyl whent through my phases. I got really in depth with theory, and started to love all styles, names country, blues, bluegrass. However, Rock is always in my heart! Good ol' Zeppelin gets me everytime.
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:52 PM   #8
Proxy

Do you guys have a site up so I know of the schedulings, news and when to start? Also just to let you know I'd be with the beginners bunch. My lessons in the past was always lacking and I was always forced to quit so this is a good thing coming my way for once.

Old 01-26-2010 at 09:54 PM   #9
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Free, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Mike Bloomfield, BB King, Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers, Derek Trucks Band, etc.

I am a big rock and blues fan! (Judging by my main axe - a Les Paul)

I'll send you a PM with my contact info.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:00 PM   #10
OldCrowChuck

Hey VH,
Now that's music, good to see other are into it too! It actually is pretty tough to find! I got a MIM strarocaster, running through Marshall AVT 2000 with the tube in the pre amp so I get close close to the singing tubes. I recently installed a Seymour Duncan Hotrails on my bridge, but am having difficulty find that sweet height aha, so my sound is a bit lacking!

Hey Proxy,
This is not the Mac Guitar Ressurection. I am just one guy who loves guitar, and wouldn't mind meeting other players and teaching them a thing or two. So far only a few people have showed interest (not bad for the 30 minutes since I posted this thing). But keep an eye on the thread and put your input! Beginners are the best to teach, because they have so many questions, which is essential to learning! I will gladly show you the ropes.

chuck
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:06 PM   #11
Proxy

This is seriously sweet. I assume the meetings will be on campus and we just drop by on whatever schedule comes up. Well this is making my night. I've always wanted to learn how to play properly.

Okay going to study for my test tomorrow now so I'll just frequently check this thread for news.

Old 01-26-2010 at 10:09 PM   #12
VastHorizon
Elite Member

I have a ton of gear to even list. LOL. Great to see someone else who loves playing guitar!

My current rig:

Gibson 1958 Re-Issue Les Paul
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Custom Lacquer Series
Fender 1952 Re-Issue Telecaster
Fender USA Deluxe Stratocaster

Amps:
Mesa Boogie F-50
Marshall Class 5
Marshall JCM 800 Half-Stack
Vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb

Pedals/Effects:
Fulltone Tube Tape Echo
(That's it!)

Before you say anything, my dad and I both own these.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:10 PM   #13
OldCrowChuck

Hey,
Ya bed time for me. But on campus would be perfect, an empty tutorial room or something if we are even allowed, just thinkin'.

Ideally, we could have a facebook group, where I could post up days I will be teaching few days or a week in advance, with a brief description on what I will be teaching. That way students can decide whether they would like to come or not. That way students and players can talk and help each other out on facebook and what not, and have more contact with me and other knowledgable hooligans.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:11 PM   #14
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Great idea, Chuck! Please keep us posted!
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:15 PM   #15
OldCrowChuck

Hey VH.
D00d, that's great. I used to be a Fender fan boy. But am beginning to love all guitars, even of the same models. Thats a great Guitarsenal man. You live at home? What year is your JCM800?
You got any mods on your axes?

Chuck