MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VON Hamilton macvolunteer MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-18-2010 09:26 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Is cootes sketchy? crazyfree General Discussion 26 02-06-2010 11:46 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Hamilton is so sketchy!!

Old 12-27-2010 at 09:57 PM   #16
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

could have happened anywhere, and stuff like that does happen everyday in big cities. it sucks that it happened to you, but it doesn't mean hamilton is any worse than other cities in canada.

Old 12-27-2010 at 10:20 PM   #17
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
could have happened anywhere, and stuff like that does happen everyday in big cities. it sucks that it happened to you, but it doesn't mean hamilton is any worse than other cities in canada.
rationally, yes
emotionally, no
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:30 PM   #18
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I found this site, which cites Macleans. I don't know how legit it is though (I haven't looked through the entire Macleans article)

Hamilton is #13 on the list of Canada's worst cities for robberies. But we are #51 for sexual assaults.

http://hamiltonthisis.bloget ery.co...in-the-middle/
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:33 PM   #19
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2012 View Post
I was literally threatened by a knife at a bus stop in downtown today.
sucks. I'd never have dreamed of that happening. I hate this city.
Feel bad dawg. I hope you're okay! Make sure u go downtown with a friend next time.
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:55 PM   #20
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Why doesn't this ever happen to me? ]:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
That sounds really wrong, like as if your asking for it.

rape fetish
oh no please dont
Old 12-27-2010 at 11:21 PM   #21
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I live near hess street, does that even count as downtown
I lived at Hunter and Hess for a year. Never again. Suffered 1 underground garage car break-in and it was generally sketchy. I lived close enough to drive but drove to school EVERY day.

Bear in mind, I come from the Jane Street strip in Toronto.
Old 12-27-2010 at 11:33 PM   #22
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

I spend a lot of time downtown and have never had any problems. I think people know not to fuck with me.

Last edited by Mazer : 12-27-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2010 at 12:20 AM   #23
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

Since now I have thought through the situation, I'm going to say some more. I am really glad that I was not killed or seriously injured, and that my possessions are still with me. Fortunately I did not get knocked out after the punch. It could have been a lot worse. What if they were armed? I would probably immediately give them all I had. I think it's a good choice to flee (if possible). I'm not the macho man type and am smart enough to know the risk of fighting with three guys with knives. I treasure my life. I'm not scared anymore. But I'm really angry, at those guys and largely at myself for letting it happen. I knew what the atmosphere was like in downtown and I should've been more cautious and stay in more conspicuous/busy places, althought I thought where I was standing was open enough for the interference of others.
I had never been assaulted/robbed before. Now that I have, you probably would think I would be more tactful and at ease. The possibility of its reoccurence should also be statistically slim, but the human mind just doesn't cooperate to surface thoughts. Once you you're a victim of violent crimes, you would you're a specified target. It has only been a few hours since I was a victim, I already feel like nowhere is safe. It can happen anywhere! In downtown. In Westdale. In Hamilton. In Toronto. I loved walking around the neighbourhood and and sometimes in the city to explore things. Now I feel like I can't even leave the house. I know it's silly. I can't even tell who are good or bad people. Those guys appeared pretty nice when they first approached me. God knows their faces would change so qucikly. It's really not a worthwhile experience. It doesn't gain character and makes you feel weak, and is somewhat incompatible with your view of yourself as a human being when someone places a knife on your neck in pursuit of your (philosophically speaking) rather futile belongings. Please do whatever to keep yourself from it. Stay well!

Last edited by mickey2012 : 12-28-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Iamanonymous likes this.
Old 12-28-2010 at 12:41 AM   #24
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Since now I have thought through the situation, I'm going to say some more. I am really glad that I was not killed or seriously injured, and that my possessions are still with me. Fortunately I did not get knocked out after the punch. It could have been a lot worse. What if they were armed? I would probably immediately give them all I had. I think it's a good choice to flee (if possible). I'm not the macho man type and am smart enough to know the risk of fighting with three guys with knives. I treasure my life. I'm not scared anymore. But I'm really angry, at those guys and largely at myself for letting it happen. I knew what the atmosphere was like in downtown and I should've been more cautious and stay in more conspicuous/busy places, althought I thought where I was standing was open enough for the interference of others.
I had never been assaulted/robbed before. Now that I have, you probably would think I would be more tactful and at ease. The possibility of its reoccurence should also be statistically slim, but the human mind just doesn't cooperate to surface thoughts. Once you you're a victim of violent crimes, you would you're a specified target. It has only been a few hours since I was a victim, I already feel like nowhere is safe. It can happen anywhere! In downtown. In Westdale. In Hamilton. In Toronto. I loved walking around the neighbourhood and and sometimes in the city to explore things. Now I feel like I can't even leave the house. I know it's silly. I can't even tell who are good or bad people. Those guys appeared pretty nice when they first approached me. God knows their faces would change so qucikly. It's really not a worthwhile experience. It does gain character and makes you feel weak, and is somewhat incompatible with your view of yourself as a human being when someone places a knife on your neck in pursuit of your (philosophically speaking) rather futile belongings. Please do whatever to keep yourself from it. Stay well!
All of this is sad and scary and whatnot...

But you should definitely become Batman now.

Old 12-28-2010 at 12:45 AM   #25
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Hamilton downtown used to be fine like 10 years ago :\ I lived down there and it was just as safe as any other part of the city.
Even now, I prefer waiting for the bus downtown on a main street where there are lots of cars going by. makes me feel safer than when I walk through mountain neighbourhoods at night.
Old 12-28-2010 at 12:51 AM   #26
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Hamilton downtown used to be fine like 10 years ago :\ I lived down there and it was just as safe as any other part of the city.
Even now, I prefer waiting for the bus downtown on a main street where there are lots of cars going by. makes me feel safer than when I walk through mountain neighbourhoods at night.
I find it also helps not to look like a little patsy (i.e. if you are male look like you have testosterone coursing through your veins), and don't overdress (don't wear your nice $300 3/4 coat when you go downtown). I actually am so paranoid of muggings that not only do I always stay in the light at night downtown, and walk with a blade, but I also have an old-ish jacket and sneakers I decided to keep to wear because I guess it's less likely you'll get threatened if you somewhat resemble the person threatening you.

All else fails, carry a blade if you must make a visit to Gotham.

And trust me, bad guys are often morons, most won't hesitate to pull a dumbass move on someone even if there are cars around. Or people. If they were intelligent, they'd be investment bankers.

Last edited by Kendoon : 12-28-2010 at 12:54 AM.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 12-28-2010 at 01:34 AM   #27
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
i agree... ive been downtown plenty and see crack heads and whatnot.. but ive never been bothered... they know who to mess with
Old 12-28-2010 at 01:43 AM   #28
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post

On the contrary, Mickey2012, I only dream of that happening. I think you should stop doing drugs.
Old 12-28-2010 at 01:45 AM   #29
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
I agree that at least you are not killed nor injured. I can`t really say if fleeing is the best thing to do in similar situations, but it worked for you and that`s awesome. I actually think its brave cause if I was in your situation I would probably give the stuff they want from me because I would be scared that they would hurt me if I try to escape. Good thing you did not fight them cause that would increase your chances of getting killed.

Did you report it to the police?

Hope this doesn`t happen again.
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:20 AM   #30
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
ok fine. 3 guys pointing a knife at me for money and my phone.
I successfully ran away, but suffered a punch in the face.
I was holding a lot of stuff too, so couldnt defend/attack, just ran away.
Holy e80rturet4wv8 ty8r.
Where was this exactly, if you don't mind me asking? Like which street? And at what time and what day?

and damn, I would have shat myself. That is honestly one of my biggest fears ever. I'm glad to hear you're okay, though, definitely could have ended up way worse....