MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VON Hamilton macvolunteer MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-18-2010 09:26 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Is cootes sketchy? crazyfree General Discussion 26 02-06-2010 11:46 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Hamilton is so sketchy!!

Old 12-30-2010 at 01:10 PM   #76
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Actually what i was saying that the people making light of the situation in this thread are the people who live in Hamilton and have dealt w/ stuff like this before. Which is true if you read the thread.

The people who are unaware of what the "real world" is like usually assume it's like the news. Which depicts the world as a dangerous and unsafe place, i honestly don't know what the hell you are on about here. You're almost making it seem as though having the belief in human decency is a bad thing.

While i agree that the idea that attaining firearms is naive, i have to say you'd have to be pretty paranoid if you were in constant fear of being shot, as there are only a select number of shootings each year in Canada, most of which targeting gangs, not innocent or oblivious civilians.

You seem to have a hard on for fear, do you watch Glenn Beck or something? I have faith in humanity, this doesn't mean i'm entirely naive, but that also doesn't mean i think that a guy staring at me on the bus means that he wants to murder me.

Seriously, stop trying to justify everything I say... Go crawl into a hole or something... People who live in Hamilton for the span of university do not count as Hamilton locals... 1-4 years tops does not give you a lot of familiarity of the city

Most humans don't have decency... Casually drop a 20$ bill downtown Hamilton and wait to see if any "decent" humans care to tell you you lost your money

The shooting thing was to prove a point, clearly one that went over your head... I definitely don't have a hard on for fear, its called being street smart, which many people lack

Also please show me all these Hamilton locals who have been making light of the situation?? From what I can see, they just don't seem surprised something like this happened
Old 12-30-2010 at 01:11 PM   #77
shes-a-diva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
im from scarborough and nothing like this has ever happened to me

i think ppl like that pick on specific ppl

You're right, they usually target people who are alone and travel late at night... But it also depends where in the city you're from... Some areas are more prone to violent acts than others... I know Jane Street in Toronto happens to be one of those areas.
Old 12-30-2010 at 01:31 PM   #78
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Also, as I said, it helps not to be actin'/lookin' like a lil *****.

Old 12-30-2010 at 01:34 PM   #79
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
The people who have been posting insensitive comments clearly are from small towns, or live in affluent neighbourhoods of cities... Stuff like this happens A LOT and its definitely traumatic.

Coming from someone who's born and raised in Toronto, and I've been chased by guys with knives before, jumped, and almost robbed for no reason... Just know that you CANT trust anyone in society today.. Its sad but true, a friendly "what time is it?" is an attempt to have your guard let down...

Ignore locals, don't look at them, and definitely don't speak to them... If they ask you something, kindly reply briefly and LIE if you have to ie. "i'm sorry I don't have the time"

Thankfully you weren't hurt, hopefully you'll get over this whole situation, it takes time but usually happens
Not gonna stop being a decent person just because the world sucks.. :S
Old 12-30-2010 at 01:38 PM   #80
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Not gonna stop being a decent person just because the world sucks.. :S
I'll be doubly as indecent for the both of us, then.

Old 12-30-2010 at 01:56 PM  
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Seriously, stop trying to justify everything I say... Go crawl into a hole or something... People who live in Hamilton for the span of university do not count as Hamilton locals... 1-4 years tops does not give you a lot of familiarity of the city

Most humans don't have decency... Casually drop a 20$ bill downtown Hamilton and wait to see if any "decent" humans care to tell you you lost your money

The shooting thing was to prove a point, clearly one that went over your head... I definitely don't have a hard on for fear, its called being street smart, which many people lack

Also please show me all these Hamilton locals who have been making light of the situation?? From what I can see, they just don't seem surprised something like this happened
Can you really determine someone's decency when your own well being and life revolves around money?

Stupid comparison and frankly, I'm sick of it.

Also lmao @ don't talk to locals.
I hope one day you're in a really shitty situation and need to rely on somebody else (preferably "a local")

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 12-30-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2010 at 02:36 PM   #81
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Have you tried because I think someone WILL pick it up and hand it back to you. I can demonstrate if you want to be sure though.
Old 12-30-2010 at 03:53 PM   #82
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
"what time is it?" is an attempt to have your guard let down...

Ignore locals, don't look at them, and definitely don't speak to them... If they ask you something, kindly reply briefly

Last edited by mattatmac : 12-30-2010 at 04:13 PM.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-30-2010 at 04:50 PM   #83
shes-a-diva*

@ RyanC - In no way did I suggest people should stop being decent... Your missing the whole point, not everyone is like you/does the things you do... My whole point was to avoid situations like this you have to have your guard up, people can't be trusted

@ lawleypop - thanks for your warm wishes, I know that its a dog eat dog world I don't get why thats so hard for some people to understand... The threadstarter almost got robbed for monetary items (his cell phone), that's usually what happens, how exactly would dropping money be any different?? whether you like to believe it or not, people do act immorally and have immoral intentions

@ Afzal - happened to my friend at Lawrence Square in Toronto over the holidays... She only got it back because her boyfriend saw a man pick it up as she reached in her pocket for it while getting food and looking for the money to pay for it... If it wasn't for his "excuse me sir thats my money" they wouldn't have got it back.

Another friend of mine left her clutch on the counter of the subway station while turning around to see if her friend had busfare... She looked and saw the man behind her had put her clutch in his pocket

You all need stop chirping like you're right, everyones entitled to their own opinions and as far as I'm concerned if you're that naive, maybe one day you'll realize otherwise
Old 12-30-2010 at 05:40 PM   #84
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
@ Afzal - happened to my friend at Lawrence Square in Toronto over the holidays... She only got it back because her boyfriend saw a man pick it up as she reached in her pocket for it while getting food and looking for the money to pay for it... If it wasn't for his "excuse me sir thats my money" they wouldn't have got it back.
You can't generalise to the universal quantifier from an existential instantiation!

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-30-2010 at 06:54 PM   #85
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
thats actually pretty scary

being the moron I am I probably would have tried to fight them with the switchblade I carry whenever I go downtown

would have backfired tremendously

..****

I live near hess street, does that even count as downtown
That's probably the most retarded idea ever man.
Best Case Scenario: You get stabbed in the gut by a mugger and you require some stitches.
Mediocre Case Scenario: You successfully "defend yourself" with an illegal switchblade and spend the next few years in jail for attempted murder/1st degree murder.
Worst (and most likely) Case Scenario: You are stabbed, killed, robbed, and raped by three crackheads in a bus shelter.

I carry a LEGAL spyderco in my bag that can deploy almost as fast as a switchblade, but I don't pretend I'm ever going to use it to defend myself because I don't think I'm Steven Seagal or some other immature fantasy.

tl;dr ditch the switchblade it's creepy as ****

Last edited by zombiejesus : 12-30-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2010 at 07:14 PM   #86
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
That's probably the most retarded idea ever man.
Best Case Scenario: You get stabbed in the gut by a mugger and you require some stitches.
Mediocre Case Scenario: You successfully "defend yourself" with an illegal switchblade and spend the next few years in jail for attempted murder/1st degree murder.
Worst (and most likely) Case Scenario: You are stabbed, killed, robbed, and raped by three crackheads in a bus shelter.

I carry a LEGAL spyderco in my bag that can deploy almost as fast as a switchblade, but I don't pretend I'm ever going to use it to defend myself because I don't think I'm Steven Seagal or some other immature fantasy.

tl;dr ditch the switchblade it's creepy as ****
you do realize ...oh never mind it's not worth explaining

Last edited by Kendoon : 12-30-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Old 12-30-2010 at 07:23 PM   #87
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

you know what else id do bro

not only would i pull out my switchblade and gut the assailant

id also use my skills i learned from UFC to put him into a reverse naked chokehold

u mad?

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-30-2010 at 10:47 PM   #88
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
What is this, I don't even...

Old 12-30-2010 at 11:20 PM   #89
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

As a lifelong Hamiltonian I can honestly say there's only one time I've felt threatened downtown and that was due to some piece of white trash road raging at my mother in a tim hortons parking lot to the point where I was worried he was about to beat the crap out of her. (I got out of the car and yelled at him to back off, luckily it worked).

But yeah, people don't usually approach me. I think the big thing is just looking like you're confident in your abilities to not get attacked. The only times I've been approached for money or whatever is when I've been tired or sick and sorta just slouching and looking ill at ease.