MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classes Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-08-2010 07:19 PM
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
first day of classes luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 08-08-2010 08:58 AM
First Aid Classes VoyozooT General Discussion 2 07-31-2009 11:20 PM
First Day of Classes Holly Academics 6 08-27-2008 10:23 PM

I have to be in two classes simultaneously?

Old 07-28-2010 at 05:14 PM   #1
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I have to be in two classes simultaneously?
Astronomy 1F03 and Computer Science 1MD3 seem to run at the exact same time... I think. Someone please tell me I'm looking at the wrong timetable or reading it wrong or something. And I hope I don't run into this kind of problem again when I'm going through the rest of my schedule...
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:17 PM   #2
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

they look like they do run at the same time.. but if you REALLY wanna take them, you could just skip Franek's class, I always did lol, but his tests were in-class time
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:17 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't know, I don't really recommend taking two classes at the same time. It minimizes your chances of doing really well in both.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:20 PM   #4
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Yea it looks like you cant take both, but if you have a spot in 1F03 I think you should keep it, and maybe take 1MD3 next year or something, unless its required for your program now. I was lucky last year they werent at the same time.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:21 PM   #5
mms17892

Liked: 0 Times

Yea, don't do it, it's not worth it. Just pick one of them. SOLAR shouldn't let you take two classes that are at the same time anyways...
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:21 PM   #6
Andrew A
Elite Member

I need 1MD3 for some of my second year courses...

And SOLAR already did let me pick both of them, which is why I'm particularly unhappy about this now, because I only found out about this conflict (assuming I had none until now) because I wanted to put together a rough schedule to see what my weeks would look like.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:24 PM   #7
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

I had this exact problem, I had to drop Astron 1F03, there's no way around it. They won't give you the credit if you take two courses at the same time apparently, and they're definitely at the same time. So sorry, you're out of luck. :(
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:27 PM   #8
Andrew A
Elite Member

Fantastic. Would've been nice to know that earlier. I'll have to figure out what else I can take for another elective then that isn't either full or completely uninteresting for me...
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:29 PM   #9
Patrick.O

Yeah it pissed me off too. I ended up taking COMP SCI 1MA3, it seems pretty useful for Computer Science students, maybe that's still open?

I wish SOLAR could tell us if there's a core conflict in advance though, only way I found out was by plugging it into the master timetable and happening to notice.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:31 PM   #10
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Its always a good idea to mock up a schedule once the master comes out, that way you know which courses you can pick. I know I had alot of electives I wanted to take first year but almsot all of them were at the exact same time as all of my required math courses... so i had to keep digging and digging for electives, thats how I ended up with 2 evening economics courses.
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:22 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Having all the schedules on SOLAR and having the system check for conflicts in real-time while students are picking courses would only cause the chances of the server to crash to multiply by a number so large that I can't even think about it.
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:27 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Having all the schedules on SOLAR and having the system check for conflicts in real-time while students are picking courses would only cause the chances of the server to crash to multiply by a number so large that I can't even think about it.
My sister was showing me ROSI once and she demonstrated how she could check whether a course had a waitlist and automatically generate a timetable after picking it
Would it be less of an issue with more server space?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-28-2010 at 09:30 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
My sister was showing me ROSI once and she demonstrated how she could check whether a course had a waitlist and automatically generate a timetable after picking it
Would it be less of an issue with more server space?
There's another thread that talks about updating the infrastructure of McMaster's registration system.

Basically it costs a lot of money and by the time it's done we won't be at McMaster anymore.
Old 07-30-2010 at 12:04 AM   #14
Ridz

Liked: 0 Times

omg! that same thing has been happening to me for the past 2 years....the electives i choose tht fit my schedule are usualy full and then everything else i try to choose after tht seems to be at the same time as my math classes...i gues all the interesting electives are at the same time as the math courses haha it sux! (i ended up with 2 evening economics last year too because i had nothing else left to take!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Its always a good idea to mock up a schedule once the master comes out, that way you know which courses you can pick. I know I had alot of electives I wanted to take first year but almsot all of them were at the exact same time as all of my required math courses... so i had to keep digging and digging for electives, thats how I ended up with 2 evening economics courses.
Old 07-30-2010 at 05:40 PM   #15
AmyLia

Just to clarify, you CAN take 2 courses that are the same time. McMaster gives you the freedom to torture yourself like that. I went thru one of my semesters in first year with a conflict. And you do get credit for both.
However, it's always nice if you just have the conflict on your schedule and are able to attend a diff section that was full on SOLAR.
I don't recommend going thru the semester with a conflict if those sections are your only options. You'll definitely do really bad in at least one of the courses, if not both.