MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Have you seen Avatar?
Yes 43 68.25%
No 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avatar: The Last Airbender sequel?!?! Ace0fSpades Movies & Television 15 08-27-2010 10:58 AM
Avatar: Some Personal Comments RonPrice Movies & Television 0 06-24-2010 02:06 AM
Avatar: Some Personal Comments RonPrice Movies & Television 7 05-20-2010 07:59 PM
Rate the avatar & sig above manaya General Discussion 25 04-26-2010 12:17 AM
Avatar manaya Movies & Television 14 12-23-2009 07:31 PM

Have you seen Avatar?

Old 01-19-2010 at 01:49 PM   #46
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I only usually watch a movie to the end if it has a decent storyline...; i think this movie would rage me out to the point i would just leave the theater, from what the reviews have turned out to be.

The whole 3D experience thing sound interesting though..hm maybe i'll bother activating my scene card..
Old 01-19-2010 at 02:39 PM   #47
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

The only reason the movie got any attention in the first place is because of James Cameron, who I heard was caught up in a case for ripping the plot from another movie called Battle for Terra. In that case, yes, it is like Transformers or 2012 because you're taking an idea that's already been out there or floated around, and slapping fancy graphics on it.

And yeah, I'd rather listen to what most people say about the movie, instead of wasting time to go to Ancaster and spend money to see it. I could watch it online, but I'm not even going to bother because really, the graphics are what make it what it is. Why do you think everyone's like "hurhur you have to see it in IMAX or it's not worth it" etc.
Old 01-19-2010 at 02:51 PM   #48
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I could watch it online, but I'm not even going to bother because really, the graphics are what make it what it is. Why do you think everyone's like "hurhur you have to see it in IMAX or it's not worth it" etc.
I didn't see it in IMAX...and the graphics were still incredible.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-19-2010 at 03:54 PM   #49
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
Judging a movie based off a trailer, you're smart.
omg bcuz im lyk totali da 1st purson 2 eva do dat.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-19-2010 at 03:57 PM   #50
amita_24

Liked: 0 Times

this might sound silly but has anyone noticed that the films that come out late in the year are the only ones recognized for golden globes and Oscars?? or is it just me and people knew this already?

if that is the case will someone be kind enough to enlighten me on the topic?
Old 01-19-2010 at 04:00 PM   #51
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
omg bcuz im lyk totali da 1st purson 2 eva do dat.
You can't write off a whole movie, and dickride the whole "pocahontas in space" argument without even watching the movie. And it's clear if you ever do watch the movie you're going to automatically hate it since you've already hating on it before even watching it, your opinion is worthless, please don't share it.
Old 01-19-2010 at 04:02 PM   #52
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amita_24 View Post
this might sound silly but has anyone noticed that the films that come out late in the year are the only ones recognized for golden globes and Oscars?? or is it just me and people knew this already?

if that is the case will someone be kind enough to enlighten me on the topic?
Movie studios will purposefully delay and release a movie late in the year because those are the ones which are fresh in the minds of the people who vote for the Oscars and other awards meaning they have a higher chance of winning in those award shows since the movies which released earlier in the year are usually forgotten about.
Old 01-19-2010 at 04:02 PM   #53
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
You can't write off a whole movie, and dickride the whole "pocahontas in space" argument without even watching the movie. And it's clear if you ever do watch the movie you're going to automatically hate it since you've already hating on it before even watching it, your opinion is worthless, please don't share it.
When did I say that it being like Pocahontas was a bad thing?

and uh, I'd love to listen to you, but it's a forum. Good try though? You might have better luck trying to tell me off IRL (that's sarcasm, btw)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-19-2010 at 04:48 PM   #54
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Apparently James Cameron actually consulted with a bunch of evolutionary biologists to make sure that it was possible for the life on Pandora to evolve as it did. But I picked up on a lot of the same weak stuff, so I'd really like to see how they explained it.

But yeah, the amazing thing about this movie is the scope of the universe that he created for it.

Also, did anyone else think that pilot chick was a lot like the pilot chick from Aliens? The one that the Terran dropship pilot from Starcraft was based on?
Old 01-19-2010 at 04:50 PM   #55
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
And yeah, I'd rather listen to what most people say about the movie, instead of wasting time to go to Ancaster and spend money to see it.
Read: I'd rather just blindly listen to other people's opinions instead of exercising my own brain to come to a conclusion on the film.

You've termed it a waste of time and money to go see it, without seeing it for yourself how exactly can you properly judge it as a waste of your time and money.

Do you follow other people's opinions for all the decisions you make?

ETA: On the issues of Pandora considering it is a different planet (moon actually) in an entirely different solar system so it is feasible that things could occur there that wouldn't occur naturally on earth or on any of the moons or planets in our solar system. Also its called fiction for a reason.

For anyone actually interested in possibly reading explanations about the planet there is a book about it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Avatar-Confiden...41572& sr=8-3

Its apparently about the Biological and Social History of Pandora, that might offer some of the explanations you are curious about. I'm not suggesting you buy it btw w/ the link, maybe if you could find it at a library it might be worth a read. I'm considering reading it out of curiosity.

Last edited by sew12 : 01-19-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2010 at 05:19 PM   #56
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Read: I'd rather just blindly listen to other people's opinions instead of exercising my own brain to come to a conclusion on the film.

You've termed it a waste of time and money to go see it, without seeing it for yourself how exactly can you properly judge it as a waste of your time and money.

ETA: On the issues of Pandora considering it is a different planet (moon actually) in an entirely different solar system so it is feasible that things could occur there that wouldn't occur naturally on earth or on any of the moons or planets in our solar system. Also its called fiction for a reason.

For anyone actually interested in possibly reading explanations about the planet there is a book about it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Avatar-Confiden...41572& sr=8-3

Its apparently about the Biological and Social History of Pandora, that might offer some of the explanations you are curious about. I'm not suggesting you buy it btw w/ the link, maybe if you could find it at a library it might be worth a read. I'm considering reading it out of curiosity.
just cause it's in a different solar system doesn't mean much, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!-applies to the universe
Old 01-19-2010 at 05:23 PM   #57
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

Whats wrong with listening to what people have to say? If one person says it sucks, you shrug it off. If the entire planet says it sucks (Waterworld, anyone?), then it may actually suck.

First thing I look for when a new movie comes out is my friends opinions on it. they know me and what I like, so they can tell me if its worth it for me to go spend 10 bucks on.
Old 01-19-2010 at 05:28 PM   #58
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

The main reason for seeing it, for me and my friends was because its in 3D! How often do you get a chance to see that. If your waiting for the DVD or just watch it on tvshack your missing out on about 3/4 the experience.

Also just wanted to add Avatar 2 is a go. I read he was planning on a trilogy!
Old 01-19-2010 at 05:37 PM   #59
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Also, did anyone else think that pilot chick was a lot like the pilot chick from Aliens? The one that the Terran dropship pilot from Starcraft was based on?
In the pipe, five by five.
Old 01-19-2010 at 06:50 PM   #60
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't really get the "It's just like Pocahontas" argument. Yes, if you look at the surface, it is similar. But Avatar is so much more complicated and involved than Pocahontas.

You can look at almost any movie and the plot is the same: "Boy likes girl, boy can't have girl, boy eventually gets girl". That's a common theme in lots of movies, but it's not the ONLY theme in those movies.