MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Have you seen Avatar?
Yes 43 68.25%
No 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avatar: The Last Airbender sequel?!?! Ace0fSpades Movies & Television 15 08-27-2010 10:58 AM
Avatar: Some Personal Comments RonPrice Movies & Television 0 06-24-2010 02:06 AM
Avatar: Some Personal Comments RonPrice Movies & Television 7 05-20-2010 07:59 PM
Rate the avatar & sig above manaya General Discussion 25 04-26-2010 12:17 AM
Avatar manaya Movies & Television 14 12-23-2009 07:31 PM

Have you seen Avatar?

Old 01-19-2010 at 11:08 PM   #91
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Whoa, calm down. i know youre a Gaga fan, but no need to get offended.
I'm going to sleep.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-19-2010 at 11:15 PM   #92
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
There was no hype with this movie! I didn't even know when this movie was even released. It didn't even make that much of money in it's first week like Transformers or New Moon (this was freakin hype).

It started making money in it's second week when their was good review by the movie goers on rottentomatoes and such sites
... wut
There was a lot of hype for avatar, started years ago man.
12 years in the making. they started really promoting it a little over a year ago.
Old 01-19-2010 at 11:41 PM   #93
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The original Star Trek was definitely soft SciFi, but later series went to great lengths to explain their science and keep things as believable and internally consistent as possible. Avatar feels closer to Star Wars on scientific accuracy, than most of Star Trek (which I think is an apt comparison considering how engrossing the worlds built in both Avatar and Star Wars are).

Hey... here's an article about the Science behind avatar.

here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43440

It was made by a Professor in Astrophysics i believe, and he was captivated by how some concepts in avatar relates to astrobiology and physics. He's even including the movie Avatar into his Physics class which I think is very cool if that would happen here at Mac. It will be an interesting read for you...
Old 01-19-2010 at 11:48 PM   #94
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
... wut
12 years in the making. they started really promoting it a little over a year ago.
hmm i dont know bro...yes they did spend money on promotion. But all of the trailers came on tv like a week before or so. Whereas, MTV was promoting New Moon like crazy before it came out. Above that their weren't many recognizable faces in Avatar.

Avatar is nowhere close to any of the movies with a best opening weekends. Twilight almost doubled the amount of money Avatar made in its opening weekend in North America. Dark Knight is the one with biggest opening weekend btw. it was a good movie, indeed.

It's well after 1 week that Avatar did big business. When people noticed and realized it's actually good. Also critics gave good reviews to Avatar and fried both transformers and twilight

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 01-19-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2010 at 11:49 PM   #95
mumbojumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Sales =/= Quality
Yes, mostly, for movies such as Transformers and Pirates of the Carribbean. But not all the time. Titanic became a highest grossing because it has a reason for it. And that reason is the Quality. If you don't count 11 Oscars to be Quality, then i don't know what is.

Avatar is a top contender in Best Picture nomination in the Oscars as it already won in the same category in the Golden Globes. Traditionally and usually, any movie who wins Best Picture in the Golden Globes will also win the Oscars. Take Slumdog millionaire and LOTR: Return of the King for examples.
Old 01-19-2010 at 11:55 PM   #96
mumbojumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
... wut

yes, they started promoting it well before but majority of the public who watched the trailers pre-judged the film as a flop. Source: http://bit.ly/7bWuck
Old 01-20-2010 at 12:02 AM   #97
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Hmm...how can those 11 Academy awards be explained? Most ever! And yes it was both critical and commercial success.
The whole voting system is terribly flawed. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1233...3155403. html

You're also looking at a particular group's (primarily white, upper class, some "in" with the industry etc) opinion of what is good. Film critics, especially in the late nineties tended to be white, upper-middle class men. I'm pretty damn sure their opinions are a lot different than the "average".

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-20-2010 at 12:52 AM   #98
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If you read the thread though you'll see that a good number of people haven't watched it b/c they apparently don't like to form opinions of their own.
This is a very ignorant comment. I haven’t watched the movie because I don’t enjoy sci-fi/action movies. I suspect that the majority of people who haven’t seen the movie are in the same boat.

Quote:
It's an epic movie!! Lol a lot of ppl hatin on it.
When titanic came out it was also disliked, but now its considered the best movie ever made.
Was Titanic really disliked at first? I absolutely loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Ive been hating Titanic since it came out, tyvm.
Rich girl falls in love with a poor boy, they face many hardships, in the end true love prevails...a classic romance :p What’s not to like?
Old 01-20-2010 at 08:56 AM   #99
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo View Post
Hey... here's an article about the Science behind avatar.

here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43440

It was made by a Professor in Astrophysics i believe, and he was captivated by how some concepts in avatar relates to astrobiology and physics. He's even including the movie Avatar into his Physics class which I think is very cool if that would happen here at Mac. It will be an interesting read for you...
Impressive, he actually nit-picked on a lot of errors I didn't but he also seemed to skim over things that really bothered me (but then again, he's a physicist which means he's basically been out of the biology branch of science since his first year of Uni). After reading the whole thing, my mind isn't particularly changed, a lot of the questions he posed had psuedo-sciencey solutions or were written off because "it's just a movie." Anyway, I'm kinda done discussing the science of the movie, it's not really a major issue for me, and I enjoyed the movie regardless of scientific inaccuracies.
Old 01-20-2010 at 01:20 PM   #100
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I agree with the poster who said Avatar wasn't heavily promoted. I don't know, maybe I was living under a rock, but I didn't see much advertising for it. I saw a trailer for it before 2012, and a few on TV, but that was it. I never really saw it promoted as a huge, big-budget blockbuster. I didn't even know it was the most expensive movie ever made until after I saw it.
Old 01-21-2010 at 08:23 PM   #101
dedust
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Some guy died watching avatar !! it was on the news lol
Old 01-21-2010 at 09:05 PM   #102
knox

Liked: 15 Times

I don't see what's so awful about the movie. It has great visuals, probably the most complex scenery every created, and has a good story to go along with it. Toss in a few explosions and you're good.
Old 01-22-2010 at 10:31 PM   #103
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Went to see this on a whim and I had no idea what it was even about. Visually stunning yet it was highly predictable. I enjoyed it mostly for the eye candy. I felt that on some parts the overemphasis or playing of characters like Michelle Rodriguez and Stephen Lang ruined the mood...
Old 01-23-2010 at 04:58 AM   #104
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
and has a good story to go along with it.
Not really; Its a complete makeover/rehash of Pocahontas with 3D special effects added in.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-23-2010 at 08:34 AM   #105
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm like 8 weeks too late for this remark...but all I know is, if it's so terrible, how come I've still been unable to see it because every time I go, the tickets are sold out? (Last time I tried was last Sunday)

People should be less cynical...it's not 'uncool' to like a movie (even if it happened to be lame). We're not 16 year old boys here.