MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing My Major R.R.B First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-13-2011 08:29 PM
Some advide on choosing, please. MirandaC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 03-13-2011 08:01 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Need Help Choosing Courses ThatGuy Academics 3 06-22-2009 11:15 PM
Choosing First Year Rez bhaley General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 12:03 PM

Help with choosing a laptop for university

Old 08-13-2011 at 04:25 PM   #1
solabd

Liked: 0 Times

Help with choosing a laptop for university
I'm clueless when it comes to laptops.. I'm going into lifesci this year, and was wondering if there are any specific features i should be looking for in terms of a laptop. Also any suggestions would be great! I don't have a set price that I'm willing to spend- it all depends on the quality, and amount of time that i would be able to use it
Old 08-13-2011 at 04:40 PM   #2
enon

Liked: 10 Times

welcome to mMacinsiders! I am confused by the question as it seems as though it should read " Help using the search function".

Last edited by enon : 08-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Old 08-13-2011 at 04:44 PM   #3
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

yeah there are so many posts about this exact same question.
if you only use your computer for
microsoft office
internet browsing
flash based games
movies / music / videos

any i3 / i5
with 2GB+ of ram
and 320 GB + hard drive
and you'll be good. like good to kick ass on some google chrome angry birds.
Old 08-13-2011 at 04:59 PM   #4
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

I wrote a really, really really long response to this outlining the pros and cons of what I think are your two best options. I clicked away from this screen and its all gone and theres no way Im re-writing all that. I can only bring my self to write a summary.

If you want to pick something up tomorrow, there are great ~$500, 15.6 acer laptop at bestbuy right now. It has really good specs (6gigs RAM, i3, decent graphics card), a great keyboard (mac book style) and strong plastic build. Acer is NOT the crappy break-down brand it used to be. This one is the best bang for your buck, and you can compare it to all of the more expensize HP and toshibas in the store.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/... 7f1a0d986en02
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/... 7d6310e52en02

If you have a little more cash there is a little known laptop secret. Dell has a business line that is cheap enough for regular consumers. Its called the vostro line. The build quality is amazing (real metal body, good plastics). Very sleek, nice, professional design. Light and thin. Starts at $540 and you can add an amazing 3 year, on site, accidental damage warranty for $250 (basically so you can accidental break your laptop in 3 years and get a brand new one). Unless your doing heavy gaming, the base trim is all you need. I reccomend the V3450 line, its 14 inches. Small enough to be very portable, big enough to be your main computer.
http://www.dell.com/ca/business/p/vo..._VI EWSIZE_IN

Silver says thanks to InsideMINDS for this post.
Old 08-13-2011 at 06:55 PM   #5
vinny06

Liked: 3 Times

i was on a thread similar to this last night for many hours and im going into first year life sci as well. From what i learned, you should get something along the following lines:

- Decent battery life (5 hours +). Most life sci. schedules i've seen usually have one day during the week where there's 4+ hours of class straight without any meaningful breaks. If you're planning on taking notes on the laptop...you should make sure that you'll actually be able to turn it on after using it for 3 straight cores

- The general consensus seems to be that everyone buying a new laptop for university should stay away from HP. Their service doesn't seem to be the greatest and many get the feeling that they're being built to barely outlast their warranty (which is usually for 1 year)

- The processor should be an i3 or i5. You don't need an i7 and stay away from anything with an AMD processor. You can literally fry an egg on anything with an AMD - that's how hot they get.

- Size wise, something around 13.3'' should be great. They'll be big enough to work on with some level of comfort, but small enough to fit in your bag along side your chem, bio, and math textbooks.

- Price wise... if you don't have a limit, it's great. Personally speaking, i really dont see the point in getting something over ~ $ 600.00. Every couple of years there's something much better on the market and Apple comes out with something new every time the sun shines on Silicon Valley.

In the end, you have to find something that's right for you.

In case you haven't found something yet, this is the one i'll probably end up going for:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW
Old 08-13-2011 at 07:00 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

There are a ton of similar threads. Here are a few you might find helpful:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ons-34023.html
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ghlight=laptop
Old 08-13-2011 at 09:56 PM   #7
AngieC

Liked: 7 Times

ASUS rocks life !

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-14-2011 at 02:49 AM   #8
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

In Life Sci, the necessity of a laptop is so minimal that you can get by with anything [imo]. Even a smart phone has enough power and functionality to carry you through your classes.

What I'm getting at is that if you are intent on buying a new computer for school, look for features that you'll need for other aspects of your life. Whether it be gaming, watching movies, portability or long-lasting battery life, look for things that will you'll find beneficial outside of your classes.

Also, don't think that you HAVE to take notes on a laptop during your classes (that's what I thought going into first year lulz). Pen and paper works fine and for some people, myself included, it works much better in some classes. Aside from some minor doodling space, it's also much less distracting. If you think this might be what you'll end up doing, a desktop might be more suitable.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 08-14-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2011 at 09:50 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieC View Post
ASUS rocks life !
Old 08-14-2011 at 12:41 PM   #10
brensiyah

Liked: 0 Times

Laptop Help
Hey man, your going to want buy a laptop with a good hard drive (nowadays they probably are 500gb or more). You also want at least 4gb of RAM. You need at least an i3 processor with wireless N capabilities.

Pretty much anything for $600 or more at any futureshop or bestbuy is a good purchase for a laptop for school.

(I also prefer intel processors over amd - but thats just my bias lol)
Old 08-14-2011 at 02:24 PM   #11
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

You don't "need at least an i3." An i3 will be more than you need - almost everyone would have no problem with a Core 2 Duo. I'm sure most people who have i3s wouldn't even notice if you swapped in a Core 2 Duo (assuming that was possible, but they use different sockets IIRC). Also, you don't need "at least 4GB" of ram. I've got 2GB and it does the job, although 4+ certainly is nicer, but is not at all a necessity. I wouldn't say 802.11n is necessary either, 802.11g is still good enough unless you're routinely transferring large files over the local network, in which case you're probably going to want a wired connection anyway.

Tailsnake likes this.
Old 08-14-2011 at 03:32 PM   #12
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
YOU BROKE MY MONITOR!