MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No buses to Sqaure One? (Good Friday) MacEng Automotive & Transportation 3 04-02-2010 03:37 PM
Hamilton to Kingston Buses faytless General Discussion 9 10-25-2009 11:19 AM
Go Buses and Halloween Haunt lawleypop General Discussion 8 10-22-2009 09:04 PM
HSR Accordian Buses HeatherH General Discussion 10 07-08-2009 12:18 PM
Free Buses Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 08-19-2008 03:28 PM

HSR Buses

Old 08-18-2010 at 04:38 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
I feel bad for some of the older people sometimes. Often they need to navigate crowded buses with their walkers and packages and whatnot but it's hard for them since the bus is packed. The drivers are usually considerate of them though and will stay stopped for a bit longer if they know an older person is trying to get off.
But that's only if the older person is located relatively in the front. If they are in the middle or the back the bus driver can't see them, especially on a packed bus. But some people just don't like to give up their seats to older people :\
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:40 PM   #17
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.esho View Post
Maybe because I was sitting in the bus shelter and they didn't see me? But they should be able to, so I don't know what's up with that.
If you stay sitting in the bus shelter or back away when the bus approaches, then the bus driver will assume you are waiting for a different bus as that's what they're told to do. Its best to stand up and walk closer towards the stop when the bus is incoming, then the driver will almost certainly stop. Driving a large vehicle, such as a bus, takes a lot of attention, much more than a car, you need to take responsibility for making it easy for the bus driver to see you.

From the Hamilton website and HSR FAQ:
"When you see the bus, step forward to the curb near the bus stop marker. This is where the bus will pull in and stop"
https://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices.../RideGuide.htm

I've found HSR's drivers to be friendlier and more willing to stop than drivers in other similar or larger cities. I've never had a problem with the drivers and ride the bus everyday. Of course every once in a while driver's will have an off day, but my experiences have still been excellent.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:41 PM   #18
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
But that's only if the older person is located relatively in the front. If they are in the middle or the back the bus driver can't see them, especially on a packed bus. But some people just don't like to give up their seats to older people :\
True. Personally, it's a matter of how badly I need the seat vs. someone else. If I have my school bag plus a whole whack of other stuff, no I won't give up my seat that easily but if I don't have much, then I'd happily give it up to someone who's more in need.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:41 PM   #19
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Buses definitely do drive away, even when you flag them down -- it's touch and go. I agree with the individual who said bus drivers are more sympathetic at night. My friend and I were on the beach strip late at night after a party, and were walking home but the stops are really spaced out. We saw the bus coming early and were frantically running to a designated stop and the driver laughed at us and said she would have stopped had we just stayed put and flagged her down.

During the day, the drivers have stricter timelines and whatnot, so they are probably less sympathetic. Also, during the day, if you miss a bus, the next bus won't take as long as it would at night (for instance, the Parkdale only comes every hour after 7 p.m.). However, this still sucks for some buses that only run every half hour! Alas, that is the HSR for you.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:49 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
If you stay sitting in the bus shelter or back away when the bus approaches, then the bus driver will assume you are waiting for a different bus as that's what they're told to do. Its best to stand up and walk closer towards the stop when the bus is incoming, then the driver will almost certainly stop. Driving a large vehicle, such as a bus, takes a lot of attention, much more than a car, you need to take responsibility for making it easy for the bus driver to see you.

"When you see the bus, step forward to the curb near the bus stop marker. This is where the bus will pull in and stop"

I've found HSR's drivers to be friendlier and more willing to stop than drivers in other similar or larger cities. I've never had a problem with the drivers and ride the bus everyday. Of course every once in a while driver's will have an off day, but my experiences have still been excellent.
That makes SOOOOO much sense, I keep on forgetting that Hamilton is not like Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
True. Personally, it's a matter of how badly I need the seat vs. someone else. If I have my school bag plus a whole whack of other stuff, no I won't give up my seat that easily but if I don't have much, then I'd happily give it up to someone who's more in need.
I agree, if it's just my backpack then I can easily just put it between my legs but if it's my backpack and my suitcase then that's another thing. If the bus is relatively empty I would give up my seat as I can put my backpack on my suitcase against a wall or something like that. But if it's completely packed then that's harder to do because I would be needed space for 2 people. Sitting on a chair makes me able to put my suitcase under the chair or between my legs while I have my backpack on my lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
Buses definitely do drive away, even when you flag them down -- it's touch and go. I agree with the individual who said bus drivers are more sympathetic at night. My friend and I were on the beach strip late at night after a party, and were walking home but the stops are really spaced out. We saw the bus coming early and were frantically running to a designated stop and the driver laughed at us and said she would have stopped had we just stayed put and flagged her down.

During the day, the drivers have stricter timelines and whatnot, so they are probably less sympathetic. Also, during the day, if you miss a bus, the next bus won't take as long as it would at night (for instance, the Parkdale only comes every hour after 7 p.m.). However, this still sucks for some buses that only run every half hour! Alas, that is the HSR for you.
It's not only that, buses are able to just stand at the stop because there is relatively no traffic. During the day, they can't just block off the right turning lane or even just the right normal lane as it impedes traffic flow.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:51 PM   #21
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post

The thing is, I was early at the stop. I waited and waited. Checked the time, it was late. Then it was really late. But I had no where else to go so I sat down and played Tetris on my phone trying to kill time. The next thing I know I hear brakes screeching. I look up and see the bus had stopped half-way off it's mark past the bus sign. It had seen me, but didn't stop like it should have...and then I guess the driver changed his mind and stopped. Before I could hurry over it just started moving again. I was so close to throwing my phone at that bus, I was SO MAD.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:57 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
The thing is, I was early at the stop. I waited and waited. Checked the time, it was late. Then it was really late. But I had no where else to go so I sat down and played Tetris on my phone trying to kill time. The next thing I know I hear brakes screeching. I look up and see the bus had stopped half-way off it's mark past the bus sign. It had seen me, but didn't stop like it should have...and then I guess the driver changed his mind and stopped. Before I could hurry over it just started moving again. I was so close to throwing my phone at that bus, I was SO MAD.
Yeah, since he stopped he thought you wanted to take that bus, but since you didn't move fast enough he thought you didn't want to take that bus.
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:02 PM   #23
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, since he stopped he thought you wanted to take that bus, but since you didn't move fast enough he thought you didn't want to take that bus.
I wasn't even given a chance to move towards the bus. That's the problem.
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:08 PM   #24
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:

Did you want the bus driver to get off the bus and tap you on the shoulder and ask if you want a ride? Seriously from the sound of it you were into your game so much you didn't realize it was there, so obvi he kept going once you didn't get up even after he drove by you. It's recommended that anyone waiting for the bus stand outside the shelter, since you were sitting down you should have kept looking up to see if it was coming.

Old 08-18-2010 at 05:09 PM   #25
0t10

Liked: 0 Times

i wud never jaywalk myself. Too dangerous obviously. i wud probably take a taxi if its really important.

Also, i missed the bus many times now, mostly when i was like 5-6 feet away and ive found out that;

1) if u r in front of the bus, then it depends on the mood of the driver

2) if u r coming from behind the bus, then u will almost most certainly miss it....maybe the bus drivers feel that they can act as if they didn't see u or something if ur coming from behind
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:14 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t10 View Post
i wud never jaywalk myself. Too dangerous obviously. i wud probably take a taxi if its really important.

Also, i missed the bus many times now, mostly when i was like 5-6 feet away and ive found out that;

1) if u r in front of the bus, then it depends on the mood of the driver

2) if u r coming from behind the bus, then u will almost most certainly miss it....maybe the bus drivers feel that they can act as if they didn't see u or something if ur coming from behind
Most of the times they actually don't see you. It's dangerous to keep looking out for potential passengers while you are preparing to merge into the left lane.
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:23 PM   #27
david_08

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Sometimes they're late, sometimes they're early. I've witnessed people being seconds late, banging on the side of the bus to get it to stop -- only to have the bus driver ignore them.
This has happened to me too many times. In my experience, a lot of bus drivers are huge pricks.
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:25 PM   #28
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

i've missed a lot of buses because I was seconds short from the bus stop...but never approaching from the front :p always the back so maybe that's why they couldn't see me. But usually I don't mind...except that Milton Transit sucks :p
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:11 PM   #29
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

My opinion is, if you're not at the bus stop, the driver doesn't have to wait for you.
I know it sounds harsh, but can you imagine if they waited an extra few seconds at every stop? They would end up being very late and mess up the schedules. I've seen people on the bus yell at the drivers for waiting while people ran to catch up to the bus, so I'm not surprised that some drivers don't wait.

I've seen people jaywalk and walk infront of the bus as it's pulling away from the stop, because they know the driver has to stop driving in order to not hit them. But then they expect to get on. Maybe it's a little mean, but if you walk infront of the bus like that, I don't think the driver should have to let you on. You might end up at the bus stop, but I don't have any sympathy if the driver ignores you.

I'm working in Gatineau for the summer and sometimes the busses don't even stop if you're actually at the bus stop. You have to physically stick your hand out so the driver sees you. Kind of like a taxi, but the drivers aren't paid based on how many people they drive so they don't care as much to pick you up.

People complain about the HSR a lot (I used to complain sometimes too), but now that I see what other cities have (Gatineau, Ottawa), I actually like the HSR a lot better.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 08-18-2010 at 06:15 PM.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:15 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
My opinion is, if you're not at the bus stop, the driver doesn't have to wait for you.
I know it sounds harsh, but can you imagine if they waited an extra few seconds at every stop? They would end up being very late and mess up the schedules. I've seen people on the bus yell at the drivers for waiting while people ran to catch up to the bus, so I'm not surprised that some drivers don't wait.

I'm working in Gatineau for the summer and sometimes the busses don't even stop if you're actually at the bus stop. You have to physically stick your hand out so the driver sees you. Kind of like a taxi, but the drivers aren't paid based on how many people they drive so they don't care as much to pick you up.

People complain about the HSR a lot (I used to complain sometimes too), but now that I see what other cities have (Gatineau, Ottawa), I actually like the HSR a lot better.

Side note: Don't believe all the positive hype you hear about the bus system in Ottawa. It's not very good.
The YRT (York Rapid Transit?) also doesn't stop unless you waive them down. It's a much better system if you ask me, saves a lot more time and prevents standing which saves money and the environment.