MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No buses to Sqaure One? (Good Friday) MacEng Automotive & Transportation 3 04-02-2010 03:37 PM
Hamilton to Kingston Buses faytless General Discussion 9 10-25-2009 11:19 AM
Go Buses and Halloween Haunt lawleypop General Discussion 8 10-22-2009 09:04 PM
HSR Accordian Buses HeatherH General Discussion 10 07-08-2009 12:18 PM
Free Buses Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 08-19-2008 03:28 PM

HSR Buses

Old 08-18-2010 at 06:19 PM   #31
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm working in Gatineau for the summer and sometimes the busses don't even stop if you're actually at the bus stop. You have to physically stick your hand out so the driver sees you. Kind of like a taxi, but the drivers aren't paid based on how many people they drive so they don't care as much to pick you up.
That sounds a bit troublesome especially if you're a tourist in the area and you come from a place where you don't need to do that to get a bus :/

{ don't stop the music }
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:26 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
That sounds a bit troublesome especially if you're a tourist in the area and you come from a place where you don't need to do that to get a bus :/
There should be signs on all bus stops that tells you to flag down the bus. There are on all the YRT bus stop signs.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:31 PM   #33
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
Yeah, it was tricky when I first started work. The bus system in Ottawa in pretty crappy in general. Look at this picture of my commute downtown two weeks ago (from the Ottawa Citizen). It was particularly bad for a few days because of construction, but this is actually what it looks like during rush hour almost every day.

I always heard people talk about how great the OC Transpo is because there is a separate lane just for busses, but it somehow gets backed up a million times worse than the regular lanes. I wish I was taking the HSR instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg (120.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:32 PM   #34
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There should be signs on all bus stops that tells you to flag down the bus. There are on all the YRT bus stop signs.
It's weird, because on some of the major stations, there are signs. But on other major stations (and small stations and individual stops), there's nothing. It's very strange.
I mean, you get the hang of it after the first bus passes you, haha. But it's annoying to miss that first bus.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:33 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah, it was tricky when I first started work. The bus system in Ottawa in pretty crappy in general. Look at this picture of my commute downtown two weeks ago (from the Ottawa Citizen). It was particularly bad for a few days because of construction, but this is actually what it looks like during rush hour almost every day.

I always heard people talk about how great the OC Transpo is because there is a separate lane just for busses, but it somehow gets backed up a million times worse than the regular lanes. I wish I was taking the HSR instead.
Lol, I'm sorry but that is just hilarious. There are like at least 15 buses there and I'm very sure that's not a bus station XD
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:36 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Lol, I'm sorry but that is just hilarious. There are like at least 15 buses there and I'm very sure that's not a bus station XD
Yes, it was just a busy street downtown :( Sometimes the bus lane is backed up with like 10 busses, and the car lanes are completely empty. But the busses can't leave the bus lane! It's very frustrating.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:36 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
It's weird, because on some of the major stations, there are signs. But on other major stations (and small stations and individual stops), there's nothing. It's very strange.
I mean, you get the hang of it after the first bus passes you, haha. But it's annoying to miss that first bus.
That is so weird... They should really replace all their signs with ones that say you have to waive down the bus. That's how it is for the YRT and it works fine.

I mean, good attempt by them to try and minimize the number of signs needed but as a service they should have it on every sign.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:38 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yes, it was just a busy street downtown :( Sometimes the bus lane is backed up with like 10 busses, and the car lanes are completely empty. But the busses can't leave the bus lane! It's very frustrating.
How does that happen? Are the bus routes like the HSR where they all overlap or are they like Toronto where each street has it's own bus route? Because if it's the latter then they have wayyyyyyyyyyy too much buses servicing 1 route.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:46 PM   #39
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
How does that happen? Are the bus routes like the HSR where they all overlap or are they like Toronto where each street has it's own bus route? Because if it's the latter then they have wayyyyyyyyyyy too much buses servicing 1 route.
I don't know too many specifics,because I've only been here a few months and I take the same busses all the time. But it seems like there are a lot of routes that cover the same street. I guess they have to because there are just SO many people taking the bus here.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:50 PM   #40
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:

O___O
That...that's amazing. And not in a good way either lol

{ don't stop the music }
Old 08-18-2010 at 08:43 PM   #41
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
The YRT (York Rapid Transit?) also doesn't stop unless you waive them down. It's a much better system if you ask me, saves a lot more time and prevents standing which saves money and the environment.
York Region Transit? If so, this is only in certain relatively rural areas (i.e. above Major Mackenzie in Markham). Otherwise, if you step forward to the curb as a bus approaches, I'm pretty sure they'll stop for you.

Old 08-18-2010 at 08:46 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
York Region Transit? If so, this is only in certain relatively rural areas (i.e. above Major Mackenzie in Markham). Otherwise, if you step forward to the curb as a bus approaches, I'm pretty sure they'll stop for you.
Lol, yes! XD I knew I didn't have it right

It also happens along Steeles which is a pretty busy street. Anyways, it says if you need to waive on the bus sign.
Old 08-18-2010 at 09:00 PM   #43
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Anyways, it says if you need to waive on the bus sign.
Interesting, must be a new policy. I can see both the ups and downs for it.

Old 08-18-2010 at 09:19 PM   #44
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
Interesting, must be a new policy. I can see both the ups and downs for it.
Hmmm, I did a couple searches... looks like it's only on and South of Steeles that the wave policy applies.
Old 08-18-2010 at 11:08 PM   #45
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Did you want the bus driver to get off the bus and tap you on the shoulder and ask if you want a ride? Seriously from the sound of it you were into your game so much you didn't realize it was there, so obvi he kept going once you didn't get up even after he drove by you. It's recommended that anyone waiting for the bus stand outside the shelter, since you were sitting down you should have kept looking up to see if it was coming.
Standing there and waiting for a bus to come for a long time gets tiresome, especially if its late. That's why there's seating next to bus stops. And I did keep looking up every once often but that gets tiresome too. It seemed like it would never come. It's enough to make anyone lose their patience.

It's not like I didn't learn my lesson from that. I'm more vigilant about riding the bus now. The point I was trying to make in my original post is, that sometimes you just can't catch a break with the HSR, ie. the other shit I mentioned.