MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reference letters MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 01-22-2012 07:11 AM
Tips on getting an academic reference guest_295 Academics 8 04-07-2011 06:25 PM
Reference Letter Alchemist11 Academics 2 09-19-2010 01:43 PM
job reference? littleluzer Volunteering Opportunities 5 07-10-2010 09:01 PM
Academic Letter of Reference cowpuppy Academics 13 01-23-2010 09:02 AM

Hth Sci transfer Reference

Old 03-30-2012 at 07:31 PM   #1
dj27734
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Hth Sci transfer Reference
Hello, I am applying for a health sci transfer from life sci this year.
I have completed my supplementary application and is currently stuck at the reference:
(Name one person who could tell us more about your academic work.)
Does this have to be a TA or a prof?
To be honest, I have not had a chance to closely interact with the profs and I highly doubt my TAs from the few courses know me well enough to do this for me.
I do volunteer at the moment but my position does not involve heavy interaction with the coordinator either. Also, volunteering is EC rather than academic.
What could you suggest?
Old 03-30-2012 at 08:21 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj27734 View Post
I have completed my supplementary application and is currently stuck at the reference:
To be honest, I have not had a chance to closely interact with the profs and I highly doubt my TAs from the few courses know me well enough to do this for me.
I do volunteer at the moment but my position does not involve heavy interaction with the coordinator either. Also, volunteering is EC rather than academic.
What could you suggest?
A prof is definitely better than a TA, and yes, the volunteering is not considered academic, however an exception would be if you volunteered for a professor in some capacity.
If you absolutely have no one else, ask one of your TAs, but it won't be a very strong reference letter if they don't know you that well, nor will it look as good as a letter from a prof. At the end of the day, if you haven't built a relationship with someone by now, you probably won't by the time the application is due, so look at who you have and just pick the best possible person.

dj27734 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 03-30-2012 at 10:30 PM   #3
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj27734 View Post
What could you suggest?
High school teachers are also an option.

dj27734 says thanks to terrafirma for this post.
Old 03-30-2012 at 10:42 PM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I used my high school chem teacher. Tbh I didn't even ask him, I just wrote it down.

dj27734 says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 03-30-2012 at 11:54 PM   #5
dj27734
Account Disabled by User

Thanks guys,
The application is due very soon and I don't think I will be able to make a visit back to high school to pick up some contacts.
I know that the reference is only a small portion of the application and I even heard that the department doesn't really have time to call all the contacts.
I think I will check with the academic adviser on Monday and see my options.
I really appreciate your help guys.
Thank you.
Old 03-31-2012 at 12:19 PM   #6
kanyewest

Liked: 1 Time

On the application, it says:
Name one person who could tell us more about your academic work:
* NOTE: Do not name a family member. Do not send references.

I asked my chemistry professor. I would have been happy to have my chemistry TA as well refer me. There is not letter involved. Just put someone down and let them know. Lol, just incase they are like wtf when they get a call.

dj27734 says thanks to kanyewest for this post.
Old 03-31-2012 at 01:23 PM   #7
dj27734
Account Disabled by User

thanks kanye,
Are you close with your chemistry professor?
I would feel sort of bad because I am not close and I am asking last second.
Old 03-31-2012 at 02:08 PM   #8
kanyewest

Liked: 1 Time

Fairly close, but we weren't best buds. But if my chem prof got a call, she would at least be like yes, I know kanye west, and yes I know he did well in my class.

gmoney likes this.
Old 03-31-2012 at 03:20 PM   #9
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

On a semi related note, does anyone know how many people apply for a transfer?
Old 03-31-2012 at 04:42 PM   #10
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
On a semi related note, does anyone know how many people apply for a transfer?
I've heard there were ~600 applicants two years ago (including those who eventually didn't meet the cutoff). I haven't heard anything about how many applied last year.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 03-31-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2012 at 05:43 PM   #11
dj27734
Account Disabled by User

600 applicants...
There is no way all 600 students from first year knew the professors well enough to get a reference.
Could there be an alternative?
Old 03-31-2012 at 06:13 PM   #12
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

yes. put down anyone you know that is not related by blood to you that knows who you are. i really don't think there is the time or resources to check in on any of the references anyways; it is just there in case there is some outrageous claim or whatnot that somebody makes. if it doesn't sound like you're lying, you'll be fine. if you do any volunteering, show your supervisor your transcript for 10 seconds and then they know about your academic work? i mean, it's kinda dumb considering they can see your marks when you're applying anyways. you should be put your efforts into writing a kickass answer to whatever the supplementary questions are and not worry so much about this.

dj27734 says thanks to yoni for this post.

dj27734, RememberTwce like this.
Old 03-31-2012 at 08:00 PM   #13
dj27734
Account Disabled by User

Great, thank you