MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New soft drink provider dabulls General Discussion 48 09-15-2010 11:07 PM
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Cell Phone Provider Service aya017 Computers & Tech 18 04-13-2010 12:44 AM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM
Internet in Res Chad General Discussion 26 08-18-2007 03:25 PM

Internet Provider

Old 07-27-2010 at 10:31 PM   #1
atinus

Liked: 0 Times

Internet Provider
Does anyone have any suggestions for an internet service provider for a house with 7 people??
I understand that teksavvy seems to have a lot of fans but Im unsure if the speed will be enough for a larger house. Would cogeco be a good option? And Bell has offered me 16mbps 195 gb for 75 dollars too?? I would appreciate any advice
Old 07-27-2010 at 10:34 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinus View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for an internet service provider for a house with 7 people??
I understand that teksavvy seems to have a lot of fans but Im unsure if the speed will be enough for a larger house. Would cogeco be a good option? And Bell has offered me 16mbps 195 gb for 75 dollars too?? I would appreciate any advice
Teksavvy is as fast in my 6 person house as bell sympatico is in my 4 person house. We aren't hardcore downloaders/streamers though.

Most of my downloading happens at school anyways, it's so much faster on whatever the school is using. I assume they have a T1 connection but it could actually be even faster.
Old 07-27-2010 at 10:41 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

The other day, I was in mills... and the internet was just unbelievably fast. So I decided to check it out at testmy.net
and my results told me that my download speed was...
2 MB/S
I kid you not.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:09 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
With 7 people in the house all using internet, you won't survive with Cogeco as an ISP. The bandwidth caps they offer are redonkulous. However, this may change in the near future. The newly offered cable internet service by Teksavvy will provide some competition hopefully and also the announcement of Netflix coming to Canada in the fall may help boost our caps a little. For now though my vote goes to Teksavvy.
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:43 PM   #5
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
The other day, I was in mills... and the internet was just unbelievably fast. So I decided to check it out at testmy.net
2 MB/S
I kid you not.
Bear in mind that this is during the summer when there's less people around. Try it again when it's exam crunch time. It'll fluctuate like mad from managable to painful.
Old 07-27-2010 at 11:49 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
2 MB/S
I kid you not.
Damn son! I'm just gonna go over there because I'm constantly maxing out my GB.

(Cogeco is fast but expensive >.>)
Old 07-28-2010 at 12:53 AM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Wait for TSI cable, should be out in august sometime.
Old 07-28-2010 at 12:58 AM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Wait for TSI cable, should be out in august sometime.
^
This. TekSavvy cable is the same speed as Cogeco's cable, but with a 200 GB cap (which they hardly reinforce).
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:29 AM   #9
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Living in England I've realized what a shitty internet deal Canadians get. For approx the same price as a Bell pack which gives you a 25 megs connection and 75 gig bandwidth limit you can get a 50 meg connection with unlimited bandwidth with Virgin Media. Unlimited, and double the speed, same price. :|
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:22 AM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

For some reason, Canadian internet does suck compared to other contries. A friend of mine went to Korea and his mind was completely blown at how fast it was there, and I've heard similar things about countries in Europe and Asia. Not sure about the states, but I'm positive it's better.
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:26 AM   #11
atinus

Teksavvy isnt putting cable in hamilton for awhile (maybe late october - service rep) but they mentioned pretty much getting two dryloops i guess.. mllp??? Which would bring it up from 5M to 10M at an intial set of 400 though (100/month after first)
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:43 AM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

According to the CEO of teksavvy, it should be out in august.

Englands internet is better, but their copyright laws suck.

Korea has the fastest internet in the world... need I say more?

US has fios.. 25/25 or 50/50 lines are common
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:48 AM   #13
atinus

august?? the rep said that cogeco was being funny and thats why they expect a slow down
Old 07-28-2010 at 10:11 AM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
august?? the rep said that cogeco was being funny and thats why they expect a slow down
Yeah, but hopefully it works out, they got another month
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:16 PM   #15
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Ive been with AOL for years now (laugh all you want). They have DSL connection @ approx 4-8mbps (depends on location) for $40/month for UNLIMITED upload and download...and they dont throttle torrents. Maybe the best part of all tho is that there is access to HULU, fox.com etc (without proxies) because the connection originates from the states.