MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering Maintain Academics 19 04-07-2011 01:24 PM
what course do I have to take for 3rd computer engineering? hellrise Academics 2 02-23-2010 08:13 PM
Computer Engineering Timetable.. blackdragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-21-2009 04:36 PM
Engineering advice: What kind of marks should I aim for? kenvin100 Academics 4 09-05-2008 10:27 AM

What kind of computer should I get for McMaster Engineering next year?

Old 04-29-2011 at 10:34 PM   #16
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Im guessing since you mentioned thode, you will be in engineering. Quite a few people have Macs and all do virtual box or other method of running windows on their laptops. I would suggest getting one , but i dont recommend against one if you like macs. just be warned that one of the programs alone on first year is not compatible. i honestly cant remember which one as I didnt have a macs. First year program include but not limited to matlab, maple 14, maplesim, inventor and python idle(definitely compatible)
Old 04-29-2011 at 10:37 PM   #17
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Specifically if you are going to Engineering 1, definitely need a Windows because you'll need it for the CAD course with Autodesk Inventor and Maple/Matlab for Math. If you get a Apple product, you'll need to either 1) Bootcamp or 2) Virtual machine. The former one means every you use it, you need a restart and latter one is a very inefficient way to run Inventor. Therefore I truly suggest you to go for a Windows based laptop.
Besides, the Macs in library always gives me problem : scroll ball never worked, incapable office 2008, bad touchpads (for borrowed ones)

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:24 AM   #18
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

A Windows laptop will always beat a Mac laptop in specs but if you're looking for specs you really shouldn't be buying a laptop anyways.

It's the operating system you're going to be dealing with directly, you probably wouldn't even notice a change in specifications. That's all it really comes down to.

Most applications are cross-platform and if they aren't, you can easily run Windows on a Mac.

To the poster above, don't base your judgement on the Thode Macs, they are truly horrible. Most of the mice/keyboards are broken in some way and Office 2008 is a disgrace to software. Thankfully the 2011 version is much better and extremely similar to the Windows version (2010).

Last edited by RememberTwce : 04-30-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:33 AM   #19
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCheung View Post
I will say this once, DO NOT GET A MACBOOK. There are many reasons not to, but in short, they are overpriced and have a lot of compatibility problems, the only reason a lot of people have them is because Apple is very good with advertising and has created a cult of it. But specifically for engineering you will find that a windows platform is much simpler when you start programming (1D04), 3d modeling (1C03), using excel for stats courses and basically anything worth doing will be easier with windows platform.
Don't generalize.

I personally switched over because I wanted to try something else, not because I was wooed by their commercials. I'm still pretty critical of Apple and their pricing schemes but I do enjoy the niceties of OSX and don't regret getting a Macbook Pro, even if it was expensive.

Quote:
I will say this once, DO NOT GET A MACBOOK. There are many reasons not to, but in short, they are overpriced and have a lot of compatibility problems, the only reason a lot of people have them is because Apple is very good with advertising and has created a cult of it. But specifically for engineering you will find that a windows platform is much simpler when you start programming (1D04), 3d modeling (1C03), using excel for stats courses and basically anything worth doing will be easier with windows platform.
Lol I'll admit that Windows is likely better for programming but come on...we have Office. -_-

Last edited by RememberTwce : 04-30-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:44 AM   #20
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
Get a 13" Macbook Pro, Bootcamp install Windows. I asked the same question last year. I ended up getting a Mac and it is the best computer I have ever owned. i would have been extremely disappointed had I not gotten it. Don't worry about compatibility issues. My Mac ran Windows programs better than most PCs I've encountered this year.

(Edit: I'm in Eng. Python, Maple and Maple SIM all work on Macs. the only program that needs windows is AutoDesk, but that works beautifully on bootcamp. Get a Mac.)
I'm assuming most PCs you've encountered all year are ~$500 barebones Laptops. Comparing a ~$1500 Macbook to a ~$500 PC isn't exactly a fair comparison. Internally Macbooks are identical to PCs (Same parts from the same distributors), the main differences between macbooks and most other notebooks are the aluminum casing, the touchpad, the internal battery, OSX, and the apple logo; none of those can make a computer better at running programs (and the main way windows programs are run on Macs (Windows emulation) usually makes performance worse than natively running it).

camais, RememberTwce like this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:17 AM   #21
W. Steinitz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Here is a crazy idea, why don't you just get a really good desktop?

All through first year, I never took my laptop to class, ever! courses where you have to do math/physics calculations don't really allow you to take notes in class, and there is no point in taking your laptop to the library because there is no wireless internet there. It was always just sitting there in my room.

So I thought, why spend so much in a laptop or a mac book pro when a desktop would do just fine?
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:33 AM   #22
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Don't get Mac. The hardware is way more expensive than it should be. Mac is meant to be used for Mac OS anyway.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:34 AM   #23
HenryCheung

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Don't generalize.

I personally switched over because I wanted to try something else, not because I was wooed by their commercials. I'm still pretty critical of Apple and their pricing schemes but I do enjoy the niceties of OSX and don't regret getting a Macbook Pro, even if it was expensive.

Lol I'll admit that Windows is likely better for programming but come on...we have Office. -_-

I have not generalized, everything I have said is fact.
-overpriced with respect to hardware
-compatibility problems (alot of software can't or have trouble running on OSX)
-Apple is very good with advertising
-Apple has become a cult (definition: attracting a small group of devotee)
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:38 AM   #24
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

no wireless internet in the libraries, what library do you study at?
I would say getting a desktop depends on whether you are staying on or off campus. For my off camous friends including me, we pretty much always had our laptops , yeah you couldnt really use it during all classes. what the hell are you supposed to do on your many breaks? It could come in handy during your elective course and is good to have for 1C03 and my laptop came in handy for my 1P03 group.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:44 AM   #25
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

First of all, kudos on being able to define cult properly but I think you might want to look up generalize next.

Your statement: the only reason a lot of people have them is because Apple is very good with advertising and has created a cult of it.

You're clearly saying that the entire population of Mac users bought their computers solely based on advertising and uniqueness when in fact there are a multitude of reasons to buy one. If that's not generalizing then I need to brush up on my english.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:48 AM   #26
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
First of all, kudos on being able to define cult properly but I think you might want to look up generalize next.

Your statement: the only reason a lot of people have them is because Apple is very good with advertising and has created a cult of it.

You're clearly saying that the entire population of Mac users bought their computers solely based on advertising and uniqueness when in fact there are a multitude of reasons to buy one. If that's not generalizing then I need to brush up on my english.
He said a lot of people not the "entire population".

Clearly, you are showing signs of Apple worship.

Old 04-30-2011 at 01:49 AM   #27
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

You shouldn't really be so concerned about battery life that much, since there are outlets literally everywhere.

BUY A PC!
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:52 AM   #28
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:

I have not generalized, everything I have said is fact.
-overpriced with respect to hardware (1)
-compatibility problems (alot of software can't or have trouble running on OSX) (2)
-Apple is very good with advertising (3)
-Apple has become a cult (definition: attracting a small group of devotee) (4)
(1) I agree the same parts are more expensive in a Mac. However, the extra money is because of OSX, something which no other company sells. Whether or not you agree with this restricted availability is another issue.

(2) Any software designed for OSX should run fine and personally I have found perfect alternatives for everything I used on Windows. I don't even run Bootcamp because I have no need for Windows. Even CS:S and TF2 have Mac versions on Steam so personally I am set.

(3) The majority of Apple commercials are for iPhones and iPods but if you are foolish enough to make a purchase based on advertising alone then yes, that would be pretty stupid. However, most people I have look at a wide array of alternatives before getting or not getting a Mac.

(4) Little harsh considering the connotation that the word "cult" carries with it but okay that's your opinion (ergo, not a fact).
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:57 AM   #29
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
He said a lot of people not the "entire population".

Clearly, you are showing signs of Apple worship.
I apologize for saying the entire population. I was more concerned with the other part of his statement.

I could just as easily call people Microsoft fanboys but I wouldn't because I grew up on Windows and still use it often.

Am I wrong for arguing the other side of this issue and offering my opinion?

Last edited by RememberTwce : 04-30-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2011 at 02:09 AM   #30
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

actually I have found alot of people,especially those who aren't interested in computer when asked why they bought a mac don't give satisfactory answers, people that wouldn't even be reading this thread.

m0ns13ur likes this.