MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-15-2010 08:39 PM
2 quick engineering questions clouds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-08-2010 09:38 PM
Materials Engineering and International Studies Questions! Hasselman Academics 3 06-18-2010 02:01 AM
Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets HeatherH General Discussion 39 02-07-2009 12:04 PM
Engineering 1C03 questions kenvin100 Academics 4 01-07-2009 03:02 PM

Laptop Questions (Engineering)

Old 06-03-2010 at 11:26 AM   #46
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

3rd option: look into the x86 project and put OS X on your PC :p.

Afzal likes this.
Old 06-03-2010 at 04:50 PM   #47
valconrj

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
Sorry - can you just elaborate on this a bit more? Why would you have been royally screwed? Because you need to use some Windows programs? Did you realize that in first year? Did you use boot camp to daul boot another operating system, or did you do it some other way?

Thanks.
Yeah, you had to run microsoft studios for C# and windows for solid edge. Maple also doesn't take to kindly to macs either. It was a massive hassle.
Old 06-03-2010 at 05:08 PM   #48
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

There's no way, when you look back, that you could use less than I did for engineering. My notebooks contained one thing only: work. I did my math work in one book, and my CAPA took up another book,... One book for each class that I needed to do calculations, work numbers out, diagrams... That's all of my term work, and review for exams. It is unlikely that you didn't print a note all year, unless you were like myself with a tablet though... You had to print notes for some classes, even if you didn't studfy from them so much. The smartest guy I know even just skimmed through notes and was able to get a 12 out of just about everything without practicing any of it.
Old 06-03-2010 at 05:29 PM   #49
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

GET WHATEVER LAPTOP YOU WANT.

For me, when i was in 1st year.

I got a tablet notebook...

lenovo X61T. with 8 cell battery.

For me, it was good because it was lasting 6 hours with balanced mode.

I took notes in 1st term...

and it was useful when we had group projects..

but...that's just a personal preference.

Just get whatever laptop you want.
Old 06-03-2010 at 05:32 PM   #50
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

[quote=Commie8507;1394 64]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Quick and to the point.

Reasons to get a mac:
-Long battery life.
-Good waranty.
-Great graphics cards.

Great video Cards.....what planet are you on. The Current 330m and 320m cards are capable of doing very little gaming and are low level cards. They are found in 700-800 dollar windows based laptops.
LOL

Macs don't have great graphic cards...

they are moderate...

Macs can play most of games on low or mid settings...nothing more. but not bad either.
Old 06-03-2010 at 05:39 PM   #51
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Dont think a mac can match this, and look at the price!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...17_S445-150056
Old 06-03-2010 at 06:27 PM   #52
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
... you aren't the kind of person that uses internet explorer and has every toolbar imaginable installed, are you?
Noooo. I do have Internet Explorer, but I don't use it. The only other thing I have installed on this computer is MSN Messengr. I don't know why my laptop craps out all the time, I'm very good with not downloading junk :(
Old 06-03-2010 at 06:44 PM   #53
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Noooo. I do have Internet Explorer, but I don't use it. The only other thing I have installed on this computer is MSN Messengr. I don't know why my laptop craps out all the time, I'm very good with not downloading junk :(
Got a good Anti-Spyware, AV, and Firewall?
Old 06-03-2010 at 06:45 PM   #54
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Got a good Anti-Spyware, AV, and Firewall?
Nobody should be using that crap with Windows 7 or Vista.
Old 06-03-2010 at 06:51 PM   #55
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
What? ..?
Old 06-03-2010 at 06:53 PM   #56
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Firewall : covered by almost everyone's router
Anti-spyware & Anti-virus : Windows Defender does a good enough job, and so does common sense.
Old 06-03-2010 at 06:55 PM   #57
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:
Firewall : covered by almost everyone's router
Anti-spyware & Anti-virus : Windows Defender does a good enough job, and so does common sense.

Nooo. Hardware firewalls are not good enough, you need software too.

Antivirus is always good to have. Windows Defender is just an antispyware program, not an AV. Trust me, with your Router Firewall and WD, if someone for some reason wants to hack your network and inject a virus, your screwed.
Old 06-03-2010 at 06:56 PM   #58
blackdragon
Elite Member

And yes, common sense is always a good thing. But when you still see people using IE, kinda of hard to argue that case.
Old 06-03-2010 at 07:20 PM   #59
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
I'm going into first year Engineering next year, and I have a few questions about laptops.

-Mac or PC? Or maybe a Tablet PC? ...

-For people already in engineering: Did you use your laptops to take notes, or did you find it hard due to the need of writing down equations / diagrams etc?

-Are there places to plug in laptops (And not just at like the very back of a lecture hall where you can't see the front)?

-Do you use laptops during labs/tutorials, or do you use computers already in the rooms? (or both?)

Thanks for your help!
I think it really depends what kind of eng you'll be going into... obviously if youre thinking Comp or Software you'll be on your computer a lot and should put a lot of thought into it...

I ended up in materials eng, however, and I really only used my laptop for excel and looking at PDFs of old tests, haha. I cant recall a time i brought my computer to class for any reason... maybe in first year, but i usually didnt end up paying enough attentio!

I write out my notes either on lined paper or on printed off notes.... it does end up being a lot of paper, but I find it's easier to study off of books and paper than a glowy screen i have to click through.

Your labs where you need computers will have computers.

Good luck!! All the best to you in your first year!!
Old 06-03-2010 at 08:53 PM   #60
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I think it really depends what kind of eng you'll be going into... obviously if youre thinking Comp or Software you'll be on your computer a lot and should put a lot of thought into it...
Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that. I'm thinking civil, if possible. Not sure how much of a difference, if any, that makes =D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
And yes, common sense is always a good thing. But when you still see people using IE, kinda of hard to argue that case.
I guess sometimes its just better to be safe than sorry. Last year I got a virus for like the first time ever, and it did some major damage to my system. I still don't know how I picked it up =D. I have AVG on my computer and it works pretty well, so yeah, just in case.

Last edited by MiniDragon : 06-03-2010 at 08:55 PM.