MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Which is the best team?
Leafs 37 69.81%
Leafs! Just kidding, this one is for Habs. 16 30.19%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leafs A Disapointment :'( Infinity Athletics & Recreation 250 02-04-2010 05:23 PM
Leafs Suck! Leafs Suck! Athletics & Recreation 9 12-11-2009 03:47 AM
Leafs Season Opener!! Infinity General Discussion 40 10-02-2009 10:48 PM
Leafs Pre-Season Talk Infinity General Discussion 44 10-01-2009 12:44 PM
leafs tickets lorend General Discussion 5 02-16-2009 11:49 AM

Leafs vs Habs

Old 07-21-2009 at 01:09 AM   #16
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

The only thing I hate about Hamilton is that the Hamilton Bulldogs are the AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens....
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:25 PM   #17
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

I find it hilarious that you guys think the Habs made some bad off season moves. Our lineup is awesome for next year:

FORWARDS:
Andrei Kostitsyn (LW) - Scott Gomez (C) - Brian Gionta ( RW)
Mike Cammalleri (LW) - Tomas Plekanec (C) - Guillaume Latendresse (RW)
Sergei Kostitsyn (LW) - Maxim Lapierre (C) - Gregory Stewart (RW)
Max Pacioretty (LW) - Kyle Chipchura (C) - Georges Laraque (RW)

DEFENSE:
Andrei Markov (LD) - Ryan O'Byrne (RD)
Roman Hamrlik (RD) - Jaroslav Spacek (LD)
Hal Gill (LD) - Josh Gorges (RD)

WE OWN THE LEAFS AHAHA
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:31 PM   #18
Jake

You're kidding right? Scott Gomez a first line centre, who can barely produce 60 points?

Bring back Koivu.... oh wait, you guys gave up on him, and he signed elsewhere.

THE HABS FAIL
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:39 PM   #19
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

As a Habs fan living in the GTA and going to a University with predominantly Leafs fans, I always find these debates interesting =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
I'm a really bad Canadian, I only recently figured out why the Montreal Canadians are called "habs". As in Habitant farmers. Yeah I know, commence shunning.
That's actually a common misconception in the hockey community. The "H" in the Habs' CH logo actually stands for 'Hockey' (exciting, right? ) instead of 'Habitants'. When the NHL was comprised of the "original six" hockey teams (Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, New York Rangers, Boston and Chicago), the Canadiens were predominantly a french team (for obvious reasons), so the New York Rangers General Manager at the time called them the "habs" for "habitants de Quebec", a nickname which caught on with hockey fans since they assumed that's what the H stood for. But in reality, the Habs' official name is "Le Club de Hockey Canadien", H standing for hockey and C standing for Canadiens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Wow, is that all you say? Have you seen the Habs lately? I do even think they'll make the playoffs this year. They had so much money to spend on free agents this year, and used the money to sign crappy players? You keep blaming Leafs Managment for making poor hockey decisions, yet, you don't realize how many bad moves the Habs made this offseason.
The only bad moves I saw the Habs make was trading the rights to Ryan McDonaugh and not resigning Saku Koivu. Otherwise, they signed legitimate playmakers and goal scorers in the off season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
HOWEVER, I truly think Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment is now steering the ship in the right direction. We now have a SMART hockey man as our GM, Brain Burke and a respectable coach, Ron Wilson. Have you seen what we've done this off season? We signed Orr, Komisarek, Beauchemin, GUSTAVSSON, and we locked up Grabovski. Our blue line is nearly invincible and best of all, we're going be a tough team to play against. I truly think we’re going be a playoff team this year.

On the other hand, Le Club de Hockey Canadien made some terrible off season moves. Gomez? Spacek? Gill? Gionta? Mara? I’m sorry but honestly they could have done much better with all the money they had. I like the Cammalleri signing, but other than that, it was a terrible off season for the Habs. It's sad - the Habs are more focused on their ownership problem rather than trying to build an awesome team. Oh well.
In terms of the Habs' off season acquisitions:
Gomez + Gionta: Gomez has a terrible contract, but people are forgetting that these two players were pivitol forces when New Jersey won the Stanley Cup. They'll probably make up Montreal's top line and powerplay.

Spacek: veteran blueliner who will help develop the Habs' younger defencemen like Subban and Weber

Gill: Naturally Leafs fans would knock on Gill, he was a complete pylon when he played for Toronto. But if you watched the playoffs, he was actually a really solid 6th defensemen for Pittsburgh who, but the way, won the Stanley Cup this past season. I mean, you seriously can't mention Orr and question Gill can you?

Mara: 1.675 cap hit? Excellent price for this type of player.

In terms of Mike Komisarek: he played absolutely brutal for the Habs this past season. He was nowhere near the physical force he was two years ago, and was never quite "right" when Lucic beat him down that one game. He made several brutal defensive mistakes and got bailed out everytime by Andrei Markov. If the 07-08 Komisarek shows up for Toronto, you guys will absolutely love him. If the 08-09 Komisarek shows up, he'll unfortunately suffer the same fate as McCabe.

Contrary to most Canadiens fans, I don't hate the Leafs. I actually cheer for them when they're not playing Montreal. But not always though =]

By the way, what's this "ownership problem" you speak of?

Taunton likes this.
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:41 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
That's actually a common misconception in the hockey community. The "H" in the Habs' CH logo actually stands for 'Hockey' (exciting, right? ) instead of 'Habitants'. When the NHL was comprised of the "original six" hockey teams (Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, New York Rangers, Boston and Chicago), the Canadiens were predominantly a french team (for obvious reasons), so the New York Rangers General Manager at the time called them the "habs" for "habitants de Quebec", a nickname which caught on with hockey fans since they assumed that's what the H stood for. But in reality, the Habs' official name is "Le Club de Hockey Canadien", H standing for hockey and C standing for Canadiens.
That is very interesting! Nice to know.
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:02 PM   #21
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

Ole! Ole Ole Ole! Ole! Ole!
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:06 PM   #22
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallant View Post
Ole! Ole Ole Ole! Ole! Ole!
LOL, are you talking about the team that no one wants to sign with?
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:16 PM   #23
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
I think this is true for every Canadian team, but the french media brings it to a whole new level in Montreal.

Old 07-21-2009 at 10:19 PM   #24
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Habs.

: )
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:20 PM   #25
Jake

Quote:
I think this is true for every Canadian team, but the french media brings it to a whole new level in Montreal.
You obviously haven't seen the Toronto media...
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:29 PM   #26
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Hell, I wouldn't want to sign with the Habs either. Unlike the Leafs, whose fans will support a bad team (as proven by sold out seats at the ACC to see AHL-calibre hockey, as well as this poll on MacInsiders), Montreal's fans are pretty ruthless. Yeah, the Bell Centre is one of the most supportive arenas in the league, but if the fans don't get what they want, they make it known.
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:31 PM   #27
kenneth526
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
You obviously haven't seen the Toronto media...
Yep, I've seen quite a bit of the Toronto media, but it's much worse in Montreal.

Saku Koivu, the Habs second longest serving captain in team history, got criticized for not introducing his players in french during the team's opening night game. They even had an hour-long discussion about it in the Quebec provincial parliament because he said "this is my team" instead of "voici mon équipe"

Old 07-21-2009 at 11:22 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Yep, I've seen quite a bit of the Toronto media, but it's much worse in Montreal.

Saku Koivu, the Habs second longest serving captain in team history, got criticized for not introducing his players in french during the team's opening night game. They even had an hour-long discussion about it in the Quebec provincial parliament because he said "this is my team" instead of "voici mon équipe"
O.O Wow... that is ridiculous!
Old 07-21-2009 at 11:47 PM   #29
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
In terms of the Habs' off season acquisitions:
Gomez + Gionta: Gomez has a terrible contract, but people are forgetting that these two players were pivitol forces when New Jersey won the Stanley Cup. They'll probably make up Montreal's top line and powerplay.

Spacek: veteran blueliner who will help develop the Habs' younger defencemen like Subban and Weber

Gill: Naturally Leafs fans would knock on Gill, he was a complete pylon when he played for Toronto. But if you watched the playoffs, he was actually a really solid 6th defensemen for Pittsburgh who, but the way, won the Stanley Cup this past season. I mean, you seriously can't mention Orr and question Gill can you?

Mara: 1.675 cap hit? Excellent price for this type of player.

In terms of Mike Komisarek: he played absolutely brutal for the Habs this past season. He was nowhere near the physical force he was two years ago, and was never quite "right" when Lucic beat him down that one game. He made several brutal defensive mistakes and got bailed out everytime by Andrei Markov. If the 07-08 Komisarek shows up for Toronto, you guys will absolutely love him. If the 08-09 Komisarek shows up, he'll unfortunately suffer the same fate as McCabe.

Contrary to most Canadiens fans, I don't hate the Leafs. I actually cheer for them when they're not playing Montreal. But not always though =]

By the way, what's this "ownership problem" you speak of?
I agree with you regarding Gomez and Gionta. Gionta’s contract has Jason Blake’s contract written all over it. What was Gainey thinking signing a 20 goal scorer for 5 million? Regarding the Gomez trade, if I were a Habs fan, I’d totally despise it. The Gomez trade sent McDonagh the other way; seeing as defensemen are the most valuable asset, this trade made absolutely no sense.

I’ll give some credit to these three players (Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri) as they have proven in the past they can excel in defensive systems. Re-uniting Gomez and Gionta may do wonders, as I’m sure this is what Gainey is banking on.

However, the Habs still haven’t addressed their scoring issues. When was the last time they had someone that could score 40-50 goals? There were free agents like Gaborik, Hossa, and Havlat who could fill this role but Gainey failed to sign them. He definitely had the money to sign at least one of them.

Also, what’s with loading up on every small forward in the league? It’s almost as if the Habs didn’t already have a team FULL of small, skilled forwards who can’t go into the corners. They might make the playoffs, but how the heck are they going win a playoff round? It’s also worth mentioning that all these contracts that the Habs signed were long term contracts, so if they don’t work out, you guys are stuck with them.

Regarding Spacek, can you say ‘bad to worse’? Spacek is another undersized and overpaid defenseman, that can’t play on the top pair. One, he’s not good enough, and two, he plays on the wrong side to play with Markov. Spacek is a hit and miss. Regarding Gill, he isn’t all he’s written up to be. He’s big, but he’s slow. He cost the Pens a lot of goals with sub-par defense and his ‘snowshoes’. The Habs defiantly overpaid for a player that is way past his prime. I guess Mara is an OK signing looking at how much he signed for.

Back to the LEAFS! I’m really excited for Komisarek. I’m not a huge fan of how much Burke signed him for though. Four years ago we would’ve hung the GM for spending that much on some of the top offensive defensemen in the game like McCabe. There better be improvements in the overall defensive side of the game from the ‘09 Leafs. However, I do believe Burke delivered on his promise. He made the team tougher – a lot tougher.

I shouldn’t have said “ownership problem” – that was the wrong term to use. A better term would be “Desperation”. The potential sale of George Gillett majority stake of the Montreal Canadiens has certainly affected Gainey. Gainey is a desperate man because of last year’s centennial collapse to their fans. With new potential ownership, he knows that if he doesn’t make an impact, he’s going get canned. He’s willing to do anything to fix this team, but sadly, in my opinion, he’s hurting it.

-Joseph

PS: You said, "Contrary to most Canadiens fans, I don't hate the Leafs. I actually cheer for them when they're not playing Montreal. But not always though =]" - Is that even possible/allowed? :p

Last edited by Joseph : 07-22-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Jake says thanks to Joseph for this post.

Go Leafs Go, Jake, John H, Kevin S like this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:19 AM   #30
Jake

Nice post Joseph. I agree with everything you just said. GO LEAFS GO!!!