MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight loss plans **jewel 03** Body & Food 7 05-18-2011 03:18 PM
weight loss competition for money? kquan21 Body & Food 1 03-11-2011 12:42 AM
posters about weight loss competition for money? kquan21 General Discussion 2 02-11-2011 09:54 PM
MUSS losing emails cowpuppy Computers & Tech 14 08-02-2010 02:00 PM
Paranoid about losing my acceptance. olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 09:53 PM

Losing weight

Old 02-12-2011 at 08:09 PM   #16
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Do you know how bored I'd get of nuts 2-3 times a day? =_=
Man, I used to be allergic to all of them except peanuts for like 15 years -_-
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:11 PM   #17
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I lost 50 pounds two summers ago and I didn't eat any healthier; I was always a fairly healthy eater, I just ate a lot. So what I did was maintain the diet I was on but ate less. And I exercised a hell of a lot. Like VIGOROURSLY. I had a trainer for a couple of months who was GREAT, I did a lot of toning exercises including weights, lunges, squats, push-ups, a ton of running (cardio) etc. It was a TON of work but was soooo worth it. I remember the first morning after my first training session, I woke up and practically fell out of my bed. Muscles I didn't know I had were burning. I'm trying to get back into it now because I slacked off this winter...
To focus on that experience - Just don't do this.

Over training can seriously injure you. The injuries might even halt all progress for the next few weeks giving you chances to fall out of your routine.

Take it slow, take it easy. Let your body adapt before you go P90X on it. Soreness does occurs at the beginning but should never be an indication of effort.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:13 PM   #18
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Nuts are good protein but have a ton of cals; a handful (5) almonds are supposed to be a good snack and will curb your hunger.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:14 PM   #19
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Nuts are good protein but have a ton of cals; a handful (5) almonds are supposed to be a good snack and will curb your hunger.
Nuts are expensive too.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:15 PM   #20
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

That's not really true. I can't just have 5 almonds, and not take more, and be satiated.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:17 PM   #21
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
That's not really true. I can't just have 5 almonds, and not take more, and be satiated.
Probably because they taste so good eh? Nom Nom Nom!
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:19 PM   #22
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Im too sexy for my shorts.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:22 PM   #23
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
I don't really think I could stop at 5 either, but that's really all you need (apparently) just to hold you for a bit. I've read that soo many times.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:24 PM   #24
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Im too sexy for my shorts.
Lets see the shorts
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:28 PM   #25
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post

Over training can seriously injure you. The injuries might even halt all progress for the next few weeks giving you chances to fall out of your routine.

Take it slow, take it easy. Let your body adapt before you go P90X on it. Soreness does occurs at the beginning but should never be an indication of effort.
In terms of when you are JUST beginning I can agree with this.
But, if you're already 2-3 weeks in, your GOAL should be to push yourself to your limits. Going to the gym is not a leisurely activity.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:34 PM   #26
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
In terms of when you are JUST beginning I can agree with this.
But, if you're already 2-3 weeks in, your GOAL should be to push yourself to your limits. Going to the gym is not a leisurely activity.
2-3 weeks is still way too early for an inexperience person to determine what their limit is.

Exercise like Squats for example will definitely penalize you for going too hard too fast. You need time for the smaller muscles (which help with stabilizing) to catch up to your bigger one. If you move too quickly (which is easy to do when you first start out) your forms will suffer badly and you can hurt yourself.

Its hard for someone new that never been injured before to know the difference between training hard and training too hard. I probably can't even explain it properly.

All I can say is don't use soreness and an indication of effort.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:35 PM   #27
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:

True.

I used to be super active in high school, including running everyday. Then I stopped once in uni. Recently I went for a run and pushed myself to run as hard and as long as I used to. I literally couldn't walk the next day without crying. Worst part was it took a few days before I could even think of going running again. So it's really only in your favour to start slow and build up-it'll help keep you going.

Old 02-12-2011 at 08:43 PM   #28
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
2-3 weeks is still way too early for an inexperience person to determine what their limit is.

Exercise like Squats for example will definitely penalize you for going too hard too fast. You need time for the smaller muscles (which help with stabilizing) to catch up to your bigger one. If you move too quickly (which is easy to do when you first start out) your forms will suffer badly and you can hurt yourself.

Its hard for someone new that never been injured before to know the difference between training hard and training too hard. I probably can't even explain it properly.
Ehhh, I agree and disagree.

Using squats as an example, you should be able to know what your limit it, whether it is doing squats with 0 weights, 50lb, 100lb etc. Start with no weights and practice on FORM which is probably more important than anything.

Also, your smaller muscle theory doesn't make sense? If by small muscles you mean Biceps/Triceps, so going from small to "large": Biceps/Triceps, Shoulders, Chest, Back, Legs then I must disagree with you. In most cases it is ALWAYS recommended to work on your big muscles first (so your legs, back, etc) before you focus on isolation exercises such as bicep curls, hammer curls and so on.

Working out biceps just does your biceps, but remember, chest also works your triceps, and back also works your biceps. You gain alot more doing chest, legs, and back, than arms etc.

The best exercises would always be compound exercises that exercise more than one component. This can include pushups, pullups, sit ups, etc.

Edit: What I'm just trying to get across is that don't take it lightly, but don't overextend yourself. If you're curling 30's like no problem, go to 35. If you're benching 100, go to 120, you get the point
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:43 PM   #29
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:

That was the day after my FIRST session, though. I was bound to feel it. Okay so maybe I didn't fall out of my bed, but I had troible getting out of it, like actually moving, and then walking was a killer, and then, as it was first thing in the morning, I had to pee and had a really hard time standing up afterwards... but that was just the first day! I had never done squats before so I was pretty sore from tht. But after that it started to feel great; there's not a high like it!
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:46 PM   #30
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
I was wondering which is the best way to go about it (other than the general eat healthy and exercise advice)
Well the best way to go about it IS to eat healthy and exercise, unless you want to try crystal meth...

Lower your calorie intake, eat healthier foods, avoid greasy foods, eat multiple small meals a day, drink LOTS of water, ditch sugars and carbs. The list goes on.

If you want to see fast results, hour cardio on the ellipitcal on an empty stomach 5 days a week.

If you are dedicated and consistant you will see results, if not then dont expect much