MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight loss plans **jewel 03** Body & Food 7 05-18-2011 03:18 PM
weight loss competition for money? kquan21 Body & Food 1 03-11-2011 12:42 AM
posters about weight loss competition for money? kquan21 General Discussion 2 02-11-2011 09:54 PM
MUSS losing emails cowpuppy Computers & Tech 14 08-02-2010 02:00 PM
Paranoid about losing my acceptance. olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 09:53 PM

Losing weight

Old 02-12-2011 at 09:11 PM   #31
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Ehhh, I agree and disagree.

Using squats as an example, you should be able to know what your limit it, whether it is doing squats with 0 weights, 50lb, 100lb etc. Start with no weights and practice on FORM which is probably more important than anything.

Also, your smaller muscle theory doesn't make sense? If by small muscles you mean Biceps/Triceps, so going from small to "large": Biceps/Triceps, Shoulders, Chest, Back, Legs then I must disagree with you. In most cases it is ALWAYS recommended to work on your big muscles first (so your legs, back, etc) before you focus on isolation exercises such as bicep curls, hammer curls and so on.

Working out biceps just does your biceps, but remember, chest also works your triceps, and back also works your biceps. You gain alot more doing chest, legs, and back, than arms etc.

The best exercises would always be compound exercises that exercise more than one component. This can include pushups, pullups, sit ups, etc.

Edit: What I'm just trying to get across is that don't take it lightly, but don't overextend yourself. If you're curling 30's like no problem, go to 35. If you're benching 100, go to 120, you get the point
The example I gave, even when mentioned about smaller stabilizer muscles, still apply to Squat.

A lot of muscles are being used together when you perform a complex movement like Squatting. So when you first start out, your bigger quads will actually grow faster than your other minor muscles which is listed here.

As such, it will seems like you are able to push more weight. But by trying to do so without letting your other muscles catch up, you will start hurting your form. Most common result from this is shaking.

A great example to what I mean when I mentioned smaller muscles helping with stabilizing is to do Squat using a Smith-machine.

You can always do more weight when Squatting in a cage like this because the bar is being supported. As such, you don't need to call up on as much muscles to stabilize the weight on your back.

Even an isolation exercise like Bicep Curl still uses muscles beside the Bicep. Everything is connected in our body. You can't just purely work on the Bicep.

Just to touch on what you said in regards to limit. People that starts out exercising don't know their limit yet. And that is why you should take it slow.

This goes with all exercise even if its something simple like running.

Just remember, soreness is not a good indication of effort.

Last edited by PHLN : 02-12-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 at 09:42 PM   #32
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Im slim and got a six pack:
This is my diet, it's simple as fuk but needs great dedication to stick to...

1st meal: Protein Shake

Breakfast: 1 Glass of milk, omelate with 4 slices of bread OR lot of boiled vegetables (mine is indian food) with 3 ROTIS

Lunch: Subway type food (High protein and carbs, low fat) If i order subway, this is what I put in: all of the veges, chicken tariyaki, sweet onion sauce and bit of hot sauce
OR
Tuna sandwich (whole can) and v8 juice

Snack : Nuts, Apple, orange, banana, peach, V8 one glass juice

Dinner: 5 boiled eggs and milk
OR Whole wheat Pasta with meat
OR Lentils with different other vegetables

This is not what I eat everyday though, but you get the idea, you have to get all of the nutritions you need from least calories.
I get pretty much all of the needed nutritions I need in around 2000 calories and Im supposed to eat around 3000 calories a day. So im pretty much underweight but healthy. Im gonna increase my calorie intake to bulk up, but I don't have the time right now or money lolll

Also, treat yourself with pizza or a hot dawg once or twice in two weeks. No harm in that. Also drink a lot WATER (10 glasses at least everyday)
Also, play some sports do burn up extra calories

PS: THE BODY IS BUILT IN THE KITCHEN, NOT IN THE GYM

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 02-12-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 at 09:45 PM   #33
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post

Breakfast: 1 Glass of milk, omelate with 4 slices of bread OR lot of boiled vegetables (mine is indian food) with 3 ROTIS

Lunch: Subway type food (High protein and carbs, low fat) If i order subway, this is what I put in: all of the veges, chicken tariyaki, sweet onion sauce and bit of hot sauce
OR

Snack 3: Nuts, Apple, orange, banana, peach, V8 one glass juice

This is not what I eat everyday though, but you get the idea, you have to get all of the nutritions you need from least calories.
I get pretty much all of the needed nutritions I need in around 2000 calories and Im supposed to eat around 3000 calories a day. So im pretty much underweight but healthy. Im gonna increase my calorie intake to bulk up, but I don't have the time right now or money lolll

Also, treat yourself with pizza or a hot dawg once or twice in two weeks. No harm in that.

Don't forget to say that you exercise, because that's how much I eat in two days.
Old 02-12-2011 at 09:50 PM   #34
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Don't forget to say that you exercise, because that's how much I eat in two days.
lol really!!! Im surprised, I am supposed to eat almost the double, yea I exercise as well, basketball, dance and other stuff

PS: Also genes play a big role...I have a super high metaabolism and Im waiting for it to slow down. So that I could bulk up.

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 02-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 at 10:03 PM   #35
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post

OR

Snack : Nuts, Apple, orange, banana, peach, V8 one glass juice

Also, treat yourself with pizza or a hot dawg once or twice in two weeks. No harm in that. Also drink a lot WATER (10 glasses at least everyday)
Also, play some sports do burn up extra calories

how do you eat 3 rotis!!!! even when im starving i can only eat 2!
Old 02-12-2011 at 10:51 PM   #36
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Not even gonna touch the weight training stuff floating around this thread, except I've heard Smith machines play havoc with your form.

As to losing weight what you really have to look at is lifestyle changes. Don't try and change everything at once, but try to make a little change every day.

As for exercise, don't worry about doing something intense. Start with stuff like taking walks, or doing a jog. If you want you can start adding in stuff like interval training, and weight training as well. For weight training try one of the full body routines suggested by this site 2-3 times per week. You also can't "spot reduce" away fat, but you can improve abdominal tone by working on your abs. (In other words you can "suck it in" better)

For food I would focus on reducing sugars and increasing fibre while maintaining decent intake of protein and fat. Sugars fill you quickly but the satiety doesn't last long, and they promote a huge insulin spike which will store the sugars as fat. Drink more water as well (particularly cold water). It fills you up and burns a small amount of calories.
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:08 PM   #37
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalf View Post
how do you eat 3 rotis!!!! even when im starving i can only eat 2!
Lol really wtf?

2 is when I'm not hungry...3 is normal, 4 is when I'm very hungry.

Maybe the rotis you eat are bigger? =P
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:19 PM   #38
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol really wtf?

they are around this size, but more round

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...1503&bih= 634
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:20 PM   #39
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
My older brother lost ~30 pounds following what kendoon posted, so I'll testify that it is as sound in practice as it is in theory. However, few people like preparing food enough to make themselves 5 or 6 healthy small meals a day.

I myself am a skinny thing, and what I stick to is the following doctrine:

1) Only drink milk(not chocolate) or water with meals. No sugary drinks.
2) Make sure to get your recommended servings of fruits/veggies
3) Make sure to get your 8 hours of sleep
4) Make sure to get your 8 glasses of water. Having your recommended amount of water can speed up metabolism by as much as 3%.
Wtf.... idk how you do that. I faill on al 4
1) orange juice ftw
2) veggies lol?
3) 8 hours of sleep...such a waste of time.
4) 8 glasses of water :O more like 1 bottle or 2 a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol really wtf?

1 max. 2 if im at home with parents.
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:28 PM   #40
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

LOL @ attempts at lifting advice

arathbon likes this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:35 PM   #41
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

lmaoooooooooo

how the hell do you eat 4 rotis
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:36 PM   #42
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I don't even know what a rotis is.
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:45 PM   #43
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

12babiesthrownatthewa ll

This guy's vids are all ya need.

Last edited by Desda : 02-12-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:46 PM   #44
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Don't you hate how some girls can eat a ton and never exercise and still weigh 105 lbs? It totally ticks me off.
:|

12chars
Old 02-12-2011 at 11:49 PM   #45
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

As for your question,

Just subscribe to this good looking dude:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottHermanFitness