MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
residence GraceChoi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-21-2010 12:27 PM
FCE and Residence moonlitnight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 03-21-2010 01:35 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

loud residence. what should i do?

Old 10-30-2010 at 11:54 PM   #16
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Just to clear something up. It's a myth that three majors gets you automatically evicted from rez. Each case is evaluated individually. You could get evicted with less than 3 majors, you could get evicted with more than three. It's done on a case by case basis.

To the OP, call your C.A's when the noise is bothering you. It's their job to make sure you're having a good experience in rez and that includes not being disturbed when you're trying to sleep or do work. You can call the pager number discreetly from your room and no one will find out you made the call.
Old 10-31-2010 at 02:54 AM   #17
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

You will get used to the noise. I can now sleep through pretty much everything after my first year in rez. CAs are a great option if you don't want to go through the pain of talking to your floor mates. I actually suggest talking to the party holders one day and nicely tell them that you are disturbed by the noise. Get cell numbers or an extension, that way you can send a text or call if you don't want to go over. Make the residents deal with their guest not you. Plus then you don't get the party pooper rep (no one is hated/ignored more than the crazy I need to go to sleep so shut the f*** up people =D ). If you know that they are planning a party and you have somthing important in the morning consider sleeping in a friends rez room or go to the library to study.

Important: Pick your battles! You have a presentation tomorrow at 8:30 good battle. You have a paper due in 3 days and you wanted to finish it tonight bad battle. Never ask them to be quite before 12:30-1:00 on weekdays and 1:00-2:00 on weekends (I don't care what set quite hours are).

Finally, if they are rude or mean to you when you ask them to be quite, tattle. I'm serious. This is university fun and social life are importnat but grades trump all.
Old 10-31-2010 at 02:59 AM   #18
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

You could try playing some starcraft II >.>

Last edited by Toast : 10-31-2010 at 03:06 AM.

doug likes this.
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:47 AM   #19
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
This way you're too busy fending off the cheese to notice the volume of your residence!
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:56 AM   #20
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I'm going out on a limb here, but judging by your posts on other threads, you might be a pretty big Starcraft fan
Old 10-31-2010 at 10:28 AM   #21
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I'm going out on a limb here, but judging by your posts on other threads, you might be a pretty big Starcraft fan
Your investigation skills are astounding! You must be in humanities

AelyaS likes this.
Old 10-31-2010 at 12:19 PM   #22
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblomfield View Post
Your investigation skills are astounding! You must be in humanities

Elementary, my dear Watson
Old 10-31-2010 at 02:47 PM   #23
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

tough it out, or rat them out are your two options.... you have to choose which option you want to move forward with....

i actually had a similar problem until i knocked on my neighbours door and told them to keep it down because everything echoes into my room...

surprisingly, the problem ceased only after asking them to keep it down twice
Old 10-31-2010 at 04:38 PM   #24
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Were you not instructed at the start of the year you that you need to contact your CA for these matters, or were you not paying attention? I'm not saying to cry wolf, but you have resources. Use them as necessary.

My girlfriend is a CA (not at Mac) and shit like this does NOT fly. A quick call to them = problem resolved in minutes. And usually if a CA isn't able to resolve a problem (ie students not listening to them), at that point campus police is going to get involved and more serious shit goes down. You need not fear reprisal, last time I checked a CA is supposed to accomodate for that too. Believe it or not they are there to help and are not "the man" trying to crack down on you...
Old 10-31-2010 at 04:57 PM   #25
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
Were you not instructed at the start of the year you that you need to contact your CA for these matters, or were you not paying attention? I'm not saying to cry wolf, but you have resources. Use them as necessary.

My girlfriend is a CA (not at Mac) and shit like this does NOT fly. A quick call to them = problem resolved in minutes. And usually if a CA isn't able to resolve a problem (ie students not listening to them), at that point campus police is going to get involved and more serious shit goes down. You need not fear reprisal, last time I checked a CA is supposed to accomodate for that too. Believe it or not they are there to help and are not "the man" trying to crack down on you...

Preach it, sister.

("Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!) <--couldn't resist

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 10-31-2010 at 05:00 PM   #26
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

LOOK EM IN THE EYE AND FINISH LIKE A BO$$

1234eeeee

Old 10-31-2010 at 06:09 PM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Find the circuit breaker to their room and super glue it shut?
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:15 PM   #28
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

SOOOO
i have a problem.
im really annoyed
my neigbhours are done their exams and they are SO loud
i can hear their conversations and their laughter and i have an exam tomorrow morning
im trying to sleep
ive told the CA and ive gone to talk to them myself
and like
im SO pissed off
id really like to get some sleep
what do i do?
they've never abided by the quiet hours during exam time OR even during the year im honestly sick of it
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:17 PM   #29
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
SOOOO
i have a problem.
im really annoyed
my neigbhours are done their exams and they are SO loud
i can hear their conversations and their laughter and i have an exam tomorrow morning
im trying to sleep
ive told the CA and ive gone to talk to them myself
and like
im SO pissed off
id really like to get some sleep
what do i do?
they've never abided by the quiet hours during exam time OR even during the year im honestly sick of it
Did you not read this thread? I mean, come on! 27 posts of priceless advice. If you can't solve your problem from that, move. To Alaska. I heard they have yaks there.

Watoko likes this.
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:18 PM   #30
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

earplugs didnt work
talkign to CAs didnt work
i pretty much already took the advice they gave me
no need to be rude